Help & Support

pathfinder
tobyriding

iPhone Carrier Settings Update??!

Hi Gang,

Has anyone else with an iPhone received a 'Carrier Settings' update message on their iPhone today? I declined to update it until I know what the hell it does! Well, I know what it does but I don't know if it will mess about with important settings! In other words...

1) Has anyone else received this message?

2) Has giffgaff sent this update out OR is it O2 sending it out (as gg sits on top of the O2 network), if it's the latter then that's what worries me as it then WILL mess with the giffgaff settings y'know!

3) Anyone been brave enough to click update?!!

Cheers y'all,

Tobes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know the latest news about the giffgaff iPhone official carrier file......Clicky

29/09/10 - The news isn't good I'm afraid - There will be NO official giffgaff iPhone carrier file, check the above link for the news.

If you have an iPhone and need the giffgaff internet settings click here - Clicky Link
pathfinder
jermin

Re: iPhone Carrier Settings Update??!

So far, I have not recieved no emails. I will check up on this. Looks supicious

Your GiffGaff Helper
Jermin
pathfinder
tobyriding

I am so sorry, in my haste I didn't give all the details!!

It's an 'Over The Air' update, something that the official carriers can now do if you are using iOS4, so instead of having to plug your iPhone into iTunes to do a Carrier Settings update they can fire them out pretty much instantly. So it's not suspicious although by the way I wrote it originally I can see that it looked that way :smileywink:

The other thing that I find very disconcerting about this is that if O2 have sent this update file out, they know DAMM WELL that it will screw with iPhone users settings that use other networks that live 'on top' of their network, in other words, giffgaff and Tesco mobile, there may well be others that I can't think of right now.

So I have some questions. Have O2 informed giffgaff that this file would be sent out and if not then WHY not? Secondly, if gaffgiff did know about it then why no post here on the forums or even via an email to all the users that this file may/may not screw up their settings? Look, I'm a geeky kind of boy so I have no problem with holding back on pressing 'yes' to any update that comes my way but I know buckets loads of people that are quite happily to trust their network with whatever they send them, only to find that they then can't use, well, maybe even their entire phone at worst. Finally, did O2 send this file out on a Saturday evening knowing full well that support lines/emails are closed not just for them but for their 'virtual' network operators like giffgaff. It stinks.

Answers please giffgaff leaders!

Tobes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know the latest news about the giffgaff iPhone official carrier file......Clicky

29/09/10 - The news isn't good I'm afraid - There will be NO official giffgaff iPhone carrier file, check the above link for the news.

If you have an iPhone and need the giffgaff internet settings click here - Clicky Link
hg
head honcho
hg

Can we just bear in mind that youngsters read these posts as well, and moderate our language accordingly, maybe ?  :smileyindifferent:

Pls n ty

Regards

hg

head honcho
jack17938
Mobile Phone: Nokia E7

hg wrote:

Can we just bear in mind that youngsters read these posts as well, and moderate our language accordingly, maybe ?  :smileyindifferent:

Pls n ty

Regards

hg

I love how you always so these posts! I don't see why it is required, I am not offended - but continue to do so... :smileywink:

hg
head honcho
hg

jack17938 wrote:

I love how you always so these posts! I don't see why it is required, I am not offended - but continue to do so... :smileywink:

It's just that i'm clinging to infancy until my second childhood comes along to rescue me, so there's lots of posts I'm not really allowed to read otherwise  :smileysad:

Regards

hg

pathfinder
tobyriding

Err what 'language'? There was no swearing whatsoever in either of my posts. What I was attempting to do was warn gg iPhone users about a potentially very dangerous file on a Saturday evening when other official support staff would not be available.

I will no longer contribute to these forums as all of my help and assistance is obviously not appreciated.

head honcho
jack17938
Mobile Phone: Nokia E7

[ Edited ]

I believe the reference is to 'hell', 'screw' and 'DAMM' [you know the servers don't allow **bleep**]. You are aware that some of the language used is not wanted by giffgaff yet you found a way around this, that is why there was a post made.

BUT, the advice is deeply appreciated, it is.

marvel
andy0

tobyriding wrote:

So I have some questions. Have O2 informed giffgaff that this file would be sent out and if not then WHY not? Secondly, if gaffgiff did know about it then why no post here on the forums or even via an email to all the users that this file may/may not screw up their settings? Look, I'm a geeky kind of boy so I have no problem with holding back on pressing 'yes' to any update that comes my way but I know buckets loads of people that are quite happily to trust their network with whatever they send them, only to find that they then can't use, well, maybe even their entire phone at worst. Finally, did O2 send this file out on a Saturday evening knowing full well that support lines/emails are closed not just for them but for their 'virtual' network operators like giffgaff. It stinks.

It does look a bit peculiar, but from the outside I don't know much about the iPhone anyway.

Have there been previous updates for people who were on O2, or does this facility only start from here?

I took a brief look at the O2 forum, searched for iphone carrier or iphone update, nothing conclusive, but I don't think much of O2's search anyway ...

I think the answer is wait until a reply from the staff, which probably also means refer to the technical staff, so Monday.

Either that or wait until one of the techie iPhone users goes for it and see that happens, but as you're one of those I'd be looking to as an iPhone pundit if I was a user, and able to sort it out if it doesn't work, and you're being cautious, I don't imagine anyone else rushing in if they read this thread first

jevison
Topics: 48
Kudos: 295
Best Answers: 22

Having been using iOS4 for the past couple of days, I haven't received any notification about a carrier settings update but I will be cautious and on the look out for it.

Thanks for the heads up, please don't take what hg said to heart. Your contribution to this forum is always appreciated!

Music for life. Forever, Chicane.
Got a question about Giffgaff and iPhone 4? Head to the iPhone 4 FAQ!