Help & Support

novice
tomrca
Best Answer

the cost of texting to another country

yesterday i sent a text to a friend in China for her birthday. at the time miy balance was £12.33, today i see that this has been reduced to £11.73 that' s big chunk for a text consisting of 42 words

the most expensive text in the world

#

tom

rayhoo
Topics: 24
Kudos: 4,290

Re: the cost of texting to another country

tomrca wrote:

yesterday i sent a text to a friend in China for her birthday. at the time miy balance was £12.33, today i see that this has been reduced to £11.73 that' s big chunk for a text consisting of 42 words

the most expensive text in the world

#

tom

Calling other countries
Landline (charged in per minute increments)    £1
Mobile (charged in per minute increments)    £1
Text    20p
Wherever you are in the world, sending a picture message (MMS) to any UK mobile number (wherever it may be in the world) (max 300KB) costs 16p, and sending to a non UK registered number costs 24p.  Downloading MMS is totally free.
Note:  Data must be enabled to use MMS but no charge is made for using MMS.

navigator
timst

Should have been 20p

Need a sim order one here and get £5 free credit
j.mp/freeggsim
or j.mp/freemicrosim

coach
ovolactohippo

How many characters was it (doesn't matter how many words)? If it was 3 texts worth that would be about right - 20p per text =60p.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim--- with £5 bonus credit

Please give kudos when deserved, and mark the post that solves your question using the options menu on the top right corner of that post :smileyhappy:
chaperon
ajstewart
Mobile Phone: iPhone 5

[ Edited ]

Hmm well should have been 20p as I see it.

Are you sure nothing else has been used (I'll point to the old favourite data being used)? Did you use your phone for anything else inbetween looking at your credit?

Calling other countries

Landline (charged in per minute increments)

£1

Mobile (charged in per minute increments)

£1

Text

20p

Picture messages (MMS)

24p

EDIT: Ah I see 42 words I read it as characters, then did the 42 words consist of 320-480 characters? That would have done it.

Remember to select whichever post solved the problem as the solution!

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
xan
vanguard
xan

Should be 20p per text outside the EU.
steward
smoore

if its over 320 characters its gonna cost you 3x20p to text her, you get 160 characters per text, i always try and keep it below 320 when i text abroad, something to watch out for next time mate! :smileyhappy:

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
novice
tomrca

Ouch!  that was a big sting with hidden costs

novice
tomrca

after accepting an answer i have looked at the said text to china and the total number of characters amount to 159 including stops, so that can't be the answer to this cost.

when i started with gg i bought a goody bag, put £10 credit on and with the free£5 it amounted to £15. i know i have used a couple of MMM's  an the balance has been reducing. i assumed that it may be due to my new phone and i may have hit an app that cost me money in error, now i am beginning to doubt this is the case.

tom

chaperon
ajstewart
Mobile Phone: iPhone 5

tomrca wrote:

after accepting an answer i have looked at the said text to china and the total number of characters amount to 159 including stops, so that can't be the answer to this cost.

when i started with gg i bought a goody bag, put £10 credit on and with the free£5 it amounted to £15. i know i have used a couple of MMM's  an the balance has been reducing. i assumed that it may be due to my new phone and i may have hit an app that cost me money in error, now i am beginning to doubt this is the case.

tom

So you say you have sent some MMS's? Just to check as I'm a little confused in how you address it in the post, you are aware that the MMS's cost 16p each and are not included in the goodybag?

Just checking...

Remember to select whichever post solved the problem as the solution!

Get a free Giffgaff Sim