Help & Support

newcomer
danikember
Best Answer

there is no sim card installed in the iphone you are attempting to activate

Hi i recently got a giffgaff sim, activated it, added a goody bag, transferred my number over via a PAC code, then didnt realise i had to unlock my iphone 4s, to get it all to work. So i called vodafone on Friday who unlocked if for me.

I received an email from them this morning to say it was unlocked and all i needed to do was plug it into itunes to finish set up....

so i plugged it into itunes and it says....There is no sim card installed in the iphone you are attempting to activate.....

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?

Seriously considering get my number back and going elsewhere...i've done everything i was supposed to do.

Please can someone help?

edgy360
Topics: 18
Kudos: 153
Best Answers: 154

Re: there is no sim card installed in the iphone you are attempting to activate

To activate it needs the Vodaphone SIM card in (as it isn't unlocked).

alexc33
Kudos: 1,266
Best Answers: 930

It may be expecting the Vodaphone sim in while it unlocks the phone. Once it's updated and unlocked then you can put your giffgaff sim in.

newcomer
justinjb1984

have you got the sim card in the phone when you are plugging it into itunes. i unlocked my iphone 4s so i could use my sim and i had to have the giffgaff sim in the phone and the phone switched off when i plugged it into itunes it took a couple of attempts but it worked after about 3 gos of plugging it in and clicking check for updates

alecb
Kudos: 686
Best Answers: 315

When unlocking an iPhone you need to connect it to iTunes with the new SIM, not the old one. Just put any old SIM you have lying around into the phone apart from Vodafone and it should work fine :smileywink:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
danikember

I've tried with the giff gaff sim card in it and a vodafone PAYG sim in it, neither work...the sim card is in the phone i plug it into itunes and i just get the same message as before...

I dont have my original sim, i lost it.
newcomer
danikember

Ok so i quickly called vodafone...they were sooooo HELPFUL, spoke to such a lovely woman who told me exactly what i needed to do....

1. kept the giffgaff sim in the phone
2. switch of the phone, power off (keep plugged into into itunes)
3. hold down power button for 5 seconds then hold in home button for 15 seconds
4. itunes should now detect phone, just do a restore..
5. Sorted
newcomer
fuzzy_12

hi all new to gg and iphone, got an iphone 3gs from my brother on o2, had a gg sim with goody bag put it in iphone and worked fine on 4.1? connected to itunes to restore and getting same message with both gg and o2??

any help would be appreciated thanks