Ideas

Looking for something?

Blog Submissions - Tighter Editorial Policy

by cim ‎22-02-2012 15:16 - edited ‎22-02-2012 15:19

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way - this idea is not aimed at any specific blogs or blogger, and I know there is a lot of great blog content which a lot of people put a lot of hard work into - but my idea is that blog items should be required to meet defined editorial standards in order to be approved by Giffgaff.

This approach should help Giffgaff to present a professional image.

Blog Editorial Checks which I can think of (for starters) could include:

• A brief mention of relevant background expertise of blogger - not necessarily a full bio and fine to use a pseudonym, but establish credentials to write on the presented subject
  • Originality and avoidance of any blatant plagiarism
  • Objectivity and balance - or failing that a clear indication of writer bias and reasons why
  • Web links provided where appropriate
  • Ensure any web links indicate clearly where they will link to before clicking them
  • Reviewing something? List key alternative products and explain clearly what are the benefits and downsides of the product vs the competition
  • Effective use of Graphics
  • General proof reading for any obvious content errors
  • Clarity of presented information
  • Total Word Count and conciseness
  • Correct Grammar
  • Correct Spelling
  • Correct Punctuation
  • Avoidance of Text Speak and obscure acronyms
  • Correct use of upper/lower/title case.
  • Effective layout with appropriate paragraph breaks

Any others? Perhaps those more experienced in writing blogs may be able to suggest improvements to above list...

I understand blogs are currently submitted and vetted - but I would argue the process could be tightened up - standards seem to vary somewhat.

After all - the blog section is a very prominent part of the Giffgaff web site - and may constitute a large part of Giffgaff 'first impressions'.

What do you think?

Comments
by marvel andy0 marvel ‎25-02-2012 08:16 - edited ‎26-02-2012 01:04

I think you're making good points, but perhaps standards are already improving after some adverse comments on plagiarism or letting free advertising for certain websites.

by as7861 on ‎22-05-2012 00:16
Status changed to: Idea Vault

by giffgaff Educator on ‎09-01-2014 12:19
Status changed to: Idea Vault

Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
If you had £1 billion, which luxury device would you get?
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:5,276 members 2,455 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: