News & Announcements

zippygeorgebungle
Kudos: 922

Re: Data roaming pricing

Maybe we should put in top tips then for customers wanting to use data roaming to use vodafone instead. Vodafone does do good roaming packages on the whole whilst abroad. So if you want cheap roaming get a vodafone sim card you can get them for a quid or free online. top it up and then on gg to apply a call divert to your vodafone sim number. Really defeats the purpose doing this as vodafone will get the money made rather than gg.
Get a free giffgaff Sim

zippygeorgebungle
Kudos: 922

another thought especially with the ones trying to justify the huge price as gg is a small network. I disagree. Gg as we know is part of telefonica group ie o2. If i went to ireland, germany, spain etc they have o2 networks there telefonica sister groups. So on vodafone uk sim using these networks for data costs two quid for 25mb as someone has mentioned but with gg its sister and owners of telefonica over thirty quid. Sounds like really a right rip off.
Get a free giffgaff Sim

helper
megapix99

[ Edited ]

zippygeorgebungle wrote:
another thought especially with the ones trying to justify the huge price as gg is a small network. I disagree. Gg as we know is part of telefonica group ie o2. If i went to ireland, germany, spain etc they have o2 networks there telefonica sister groups. So on vodafone uk sim using these networks for data costs two quid for 25mb as someone has mentioned but with gg its sister and owners of telefonica over thirty quid. Sounds like really a right rip off.

Owned by O2 (ie Telefonica), but totally independent of.

Given the phonebook thick EU regulations governing multi-national corporations & mobile telephony I wonder if O2/telefonica could give gg a 'sweetheart' EU-wide deal even if they wanted to.

Your idea (in a previous blog) of recommending gg users take a Vodafone sim to Europe if they want heavy data roaming makes a lot of sense. It's horses for courses. 

First thing the gg 'advice' page on data roaming abroad recommends to use free WIFI where you can!  So gg is trying to save travellers money up front with sound advice: why pay anything when you don't have to.

Until gg manage to find better European data roaming deals and Vodafone is the best for EU data, it looks like you go with them.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
ivinsp
Topics: 45
Kudos: 541

Just read this on the help link: http://support.giffgaff.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/656

"Don't send MMS (picture messages) - you'll get charged the standard per message rate for the country you are sending to PLUS the roaming rate for the data size of the "content" of the MMS i.e. the picture or sound or video file you are sending."

I would have thought that mms data would be covered by the mms cost, whenever sending mms abroad while I was on o2 payg I'm sure I was only charged the mms fee and not any associated data costs.

If I've been of help please click the STAR :smileyhappy:
if your query is resolved please click "Set as best answer"

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
kaz dabbler
dabbler
kaz

david_m wrote:

Please note, because the prepay system manages members balances during the data session (by reserving 1MB at the start of each session) some of the balance is reserved for data and members may not be able to use this for voice or text services, this reservation is released and available again, once the data session is closed.

Can you clarify this?  If I use only 100K will I be charged just 15p or the full £1.50?  Typical usage might be to check emails twice a day, and look up a weather forecast, that would be 3 separate data sessions - so a few pence or £4.50?  And no, my phone doesn't support wifi and there is no McDs where I will be - not that I would ever set foot in there....

contributor
icklesimba

Nearly all of the users on here praise GG prices every chance they get and clearly this is not the case this time because the data costs GG have suggested are simply not fair or in line with its general policy.

Can someone who dreamt up these very high number please explain why they are so high. I just think people on here would like to understand the rationale....

I certainly would as I would love to be able to use my phone abroad but at these prices I could not pay for both the holiday and my data use :smileywink:
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
shortylumber

So use free wifi where possible? Your on holiday why would you want to be on your phone lol
turkeyphant
Kudos: 566
Ideas: 23

kaz wrote:

david_m wrote:

Please note, because the prepay system manages members balances during the data session (by reserving 1MB at the start of each session) some of the balance is reserved for data and members may not be able to use this for voice or text services, this reservation is released and available again, once the data session is closed.

Can you clarify this?  If I use only 100K will I be charged just 15p or the full £1.50?  Typical usage might be to check emails twice a day, and look up a weather forecast, that would be 3 separate data sessions - so a few pence or £4.50?  And no, my phone doesn't support wifi and there is no McDs where I will be - not that I would ever set foot in there....

I read as you will only be charged 15p.

turkeyphant
Kudos: 566
Ideas: 23

ivinsp wrote:
Just read this on the help link: http://support.giffgaff.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/656

"Don't send MMS (picture messages) - you'll get charged the standard per message rate for the country you are sending to PLUS the roaming rate for the data size of the "content" of the MMS i.e. the picture or sound or video file you are sending."

I would have thought that mms data would be covered by the mms cost, whenever sending mms abroad while I was on o2 payg I'm sure I was only charged the mms fee and not any associated data costs.

This definitely used to be the case but, as with a lot about MMS, you're right that it's no longer clear. I've asked David twice in this thread but he's completely ignored me so far...

pupil
huyster

kaz wrote:

david_m wrote:

I believe what he means is that when you first create a data connection, the system will set aside enough credit to cover 1MB of data from your current balance. So say your balance was £1.59, then straight away your available balance gets adjusted to 9p, so you can't send a text message (10p?).

If you then use 0.5MB of data and disconnect, 75p (for the unused 0.5BM) is refunded back to your balance (assuming EU roaming).

I guess this process is repeated each time you make a data connection, and I'd assume that if you don't have sufficient credit to cover the first MB then your connection would get rejected.