News & Announcements

counsellor
bigfatbball2

Re: £5 or less Data Bundles Ruled Out by giffgaff

To conclude:

-T-mobile compression sucks

-3 handles switching from the 3G to the 2G network very badly, have horendous call pricing and bad customer service

-you might save 1-2£/month by having multiple SIMs and multiple phones

-the 10£ goodybag offers a 33p/day cap for data + unlimited texts and 100 minutes

-a 5£ data goodybag is unfeasible

but

-with giffgaff you can easily get more than 5£ reward/month

-have a data connection which works nicely

Sure you could go on using a data-only SIM from a dongle but you wouldn't be able to receive calls and to what I've heard THREEs network coverage sucks so what's the point?

Stop counting for every single MB you use and get an unlimited goodybag!

data pricing is extremely cheap - stop whinning!

The best offer I could find on PAYG for data in France is 30£/month and you only get 500mb

as trick202 said if only you could agree on one solution which would made economical sense then it would have some force but in the end you refuse just to save 50p/month which you would get back simply by sending an email to your friends about giffgaff

it's only 50p/ month and if your not ready to send an email or intend to contribute thus making the rewards cover quite easily  a fair amount (if not all and more) of your mobile phone expenses why are you so interested by giffgaff?

At the end of the day it's up to you to decide but think about it...

And this comes from someone who uses 4 different SIMs and ported numbers multiple times - save yourself the hassle stick with giffgaff and instead of spendinng the time you would switching contract etc spend it on the giffgaff forums or getting people to join giffgaff and you be saving much more money!

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 4S 32GB White > HTC HD7 with Windows Phone 7 Mango
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
former giff-staffer
vincent

goodybags, Mobile Internet pricing and our new website announced!

Don't forget, that just by having been active in this thread and contributing with all your ideas and plans for what giffgaff could be, you will have made more money that you could possibly save with any of our competitors :smileywink:

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
instructor
trick202

Re: goodybags, Mobile Internet pricing and our new website announced!

Do any of you geeks know how much it costs to charge a mobile phone up every other day for a month?

Serious question.

------------------------------------------------------
Rich
@trick202
http://gplus.to/trick202
marvel
andy0

[ Edited ]

trick202 wrote:

Do any of you geeks know how much it costs to charge a mobile phone up every other day for a month?

Serious question.

well, it depends whether the charger is left switched on only until the phone is fully charged, or overnight then disconnected, or just sat there permanently plugged in and on

so about 2 to 6 kilobytes per month, compared to current giffgaff prices

but it does depend on how much use of 3g there was, and wi-fi, so could increase a bit for intensive use

and paradoxically, some people would like to see the price exchange rate versus the kilobyte increase

[but don't make the mistake of dividing megabytes by only 100 instead of 1000 to get kilobytes}

some other people might want a fixed price no matter how many times they charge it - too bad, waste of time trying to talk to the power company about that

have I managed to make this more opaque than it should be - ok, cheaper than you probably expect:

Spoiler
5 to 15 pence per year, double that for high use of 3g and wi-fi

(so don't be seduced by the so-called green marketing of solar phone chargers)  

glw vanguard
vanguard
glw

[ Edited ]

"Do any of you geeks know how much it costs to charge a mobile phone up every other day for a month?"

Not a lot.

I've got a Nokia high efficiency charger, I charge every 5 days at most, and my phone charges in 2-3 hours. So 6 times a month at 3 hours is 18 hours total. The charger has an output of 4.5 W, assume it is reasonably efficient but not miraculous and uses 7 W when charging.

So 18h * 7W = 126 Wh or 0.126 kWh per month. At roughly 12p per kWh I use 1.5 pence of electricity a month or about 18 p per year.

Okay assume a ropey old charger uses 20W and is on for 12 hours every other day and doesn't power save at all.
20W * 12h * 15 = 3600 Wh or 3.6 kWh that's about 44p per month or £5.23 a year.

If I had to guestimate most people with older chargers, and more frequent charging than me and less power efficient phones would still use less than 10p of electricity per month.

FWIW if Nokia's figures are correct I could leave the charger plugged in and switched on all the time and that would use about 4p of electricity a year.

helper
englishbeer

vincent wrote:

Don't forget, that just by having been active in this thread and contributing with all your ideas and plans for what giffgaff could be, you will have made more money that you could possibly save with any of our competitors :smileywink:

Hi Vincent

Yes, but remember that most normal people will not use this forum on a regular basis. They just want a PAYG company that is cheap and simple to use.

marvel
andy0

[ Edited ]

glw wrote:

I've got a Nokia high efficiency charger, I charge every 5 days at most, and my phone charges in 2-3 hours. So 6 times a month at 3 hours is 18 hours total. The charger has an output of 4.5 W, assume it is reasonably efficient but not miraculous and uses 7 W when charging.

So 18h * 7W = 126 Wh or 0.126 kWh per month. At roughly 12p per kWh I use 1.5 pence of electricity a month or about 18 p per year.

Okay assume a ropey old charger uses ...

I think you're still overstating things

Those most recent chargers do most of the job in an hour and trickle towards the end, which is why I suggest about a third of your figure

And even older less efficient chargers were sometimes set up for modest constant current for overnight charge of NiMH, or started faster then trickled, and don't use full power with no load. But I haven't used my Motorola mr30 for a while

instructor
trick202

The benefits of any network are in the eyes of the beholder.

Some people, like Zuber, Gobelge etc want to get the very best deal possible in monetary terms. They work very hard to look at the market as a whole and select the best products for them. Ok, so they have to live with the (perceived) inconvenience of sim swapping, or two handsets - but they are more than willing to do that.

You have others who are actively contributing and recruiting in order to gain enough points to treat themselves to a new smartphone - or just to offset their entire mobile costs.

Some people are happy to pay a little more for their calls/texts/data, in the name of convenience - so they'll use O2, T-Mobile or that other company who's name I can't mention without inducing my gag reflex.

So, yes - OK - you don't think "normal" people will use the forum much, but that doesn't mean that points are not a benefit of the network. I'm not that bothered about 0800 numbers being free, but that's just my take on it. I like the rewards system, as it allows people who put the time and effort into the network to get something back. 

A few lucky people walked away with a big fat cheques at the recent get-together. You don't see them on the forum much - but they contributed in other ways: making a video for GG. 

If 8p and 4p is not "cheap" - or buying a goodybag is not "simple" - then contributing to a forum should be the least of people's worries.

Even the people who come on here just to whinge and moan will get some reward points - how's that for fairness?

------------------------------------------------------
Rich
@trick202
http://gplus.to/trick202
glw vanguard
vanguard
glw

"I think you're still overstating thing"

Almost certainly, I took the figures from the charger literally and came up with a worst case scenario. Short of measuring it it's not an easy question to answer accurately, and will vary from phone to phone and user to user.

The general point to take away is that phones don't use much electricity, or cost much to run.

novice
gobelge

[ Edited ]

I guess we're all different and Giffgaff doesn't suit us all, but then it seems to suit the majority of us which is great.

Speaking for myself, from June onwards, I will be paying:

• £40/year to T-Mobile for virtually unlimited data
  • £0/year to Three for unlimited Skype
  • ~£30/year to Giffgaff for calls and texts.
  • plus the cost of charging these three phones :smileywink:
  • minus some reward money from Giffgaff.

For a low-caller/texter like me, this turns out to be significantly cheaper than the £120 it would cost me to buy 12 x £10 Giffgaff goodybags, and for those savings I'm happy to carry an additional phone with the T-Mobile SIM in. In fact I just ordered that SIM, I'll try it for a day first to see how bad the image compression really is.

By the way, are we no longer campaigning for lower data prices now? It seems that Giffgaff has abandoned the idea of a £5 monthly cap / data goodybag, but do people still want a lower per-MB-charge and/or daily cap? And @Vincent, is a reduction realistic?