Service Updates

Community Manager
will23

Service Checker and Planned Mast Maintenance

[ Edited ]

To check if a mast is having trouble in your area, read the post below. To find out about future maintenance that we're performing, check out the Planned Mast Maintenance post.

What's this for?

The service checker can be a very useful tool to see if an issue is a problem with the network or a problem with your phone or account. Using the form below, you can enter your postcode and see whether there's a known issue with a local mast or if you need to troubleshoot further. Once you've used it, see below for tips on what to do next.

Bear in mind that if you require help from our community on getting up and running, your best bet will be to post a new message in the Help forum. More members will be able to respond to your issue and give you one-on-one troubleshooting to get to the bottom of it.

How is the Service where I am?

To check what the signal in your area is like right now type your postcode, address, or landmark in the box below and click 'Check'. If you're having trouble using it from a mobile device then try using this mobile friendly version.

Click here for more information once you have checked your area.

Disclaimer: Below shows a portion of O2's site. Since we share service with O2 the signal displayed is exactly the same for both giffgaff and O2. If the item below refers to anything other than service then it is referring purely to O2.

So what should I do now?

If there is a problem in your area:

So, you've checked the service in your area, now what? Well, if it has displayed an issue with your area then you just have to sit tight. Mast problems get sorted by engineers, so they will go back to normal soon. If you want to report a problem with your mast then you should ask an agent.

If it displays poor signal in your area due to lack of masts then I'm afraid that there is nothing that can be done.

If there is not a problem in your area:

If there are no issues displayed in your area then you should assume that it isn't a local area problem. Sometimes the tool takes a little while to update, but it's best to assume that it isn't related. There are three steps to solving your issue:

• Your first port of call should be the Help forum, first you should search for threads related to your issue and you should find a solution there.
  • If you can't find any answers, you should post a new thread in the Help forum explaining your problem and our members will be able to advise you how to solve your problem. They will get you a response within minutes.
  • If the members can't help you (usually because its an account issue) then you need to contact one of our agents. Fill in the form here and they will get back to you within 24 hours.

Good luck and all the best,

Will

Community Manager - Chief Tea Drinker and Quizmaster

kbbanner.png     Minecraft     New quiz: Gold Tier

giffgaff Educator
t_will

Planned Mast Maintenance

[ Edited ]

Hey all,

Over the coming months we'll be working on upgrading our network across the country - making it futureproof, improving coverage area, and generally making sure it's all in tip-top shape. Here's the one handy place where you can see the planned maintenance for the next week, and a history of the work for the last month.

If we're doing work in your area, then you'll lose the service described at some point after the maintenance begins, and it'll last for the described duration, after which you'll be up and running again - and some areas will even have improved signal.

If you're experiencing issues with your coverage that isn't covered by this maintenance, then your first port of call should be the post that allows you to check the service status of your area above. If it shows that we're currently working on a fault in your area, then we'll get that sorted as soon as we're able. If it says your signal should be fine, then head into our Help forum where you'll be able to troubleshoot your issue further with our members.

In progress and recent maintenance

Upcoming maintenance

Completed

(click spoiler to view completed maintenance from the last 30 days)

Spoiler

Area: Petersfield Guilford Crawley Horsham Havant &Chichester

Service Affected: Loss of 3G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 1 hours. Our 2G network will still be working but data services, like using the internet, may be slower.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 09:00 on 04 September 2014 
  • Maintenance Duration: Up to 1 hours
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 16:00 on 04 September 2014 

Area:  Sittingbourne Ashford Canterbury Folkestone Bexhill & Hastings areas

Service Affected: Loss of 3G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 1 hours. Our 2G network will still be working but data services, like using the internet, may be slower.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 09:00 on 04 September 2014 
  • Maintenance Duration: Up to 1 hours
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 16:00 on 04 September 2014 

Area:  Darlington areas

Service Affected:  Loss of 2G services to sites for up to 2 hours. Our 3G network will still be working as normal.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 05 September 2014 
  • Maintenance Duration: Up to 2 hours
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 06 September 2014 

Area:  Leighton Buzzard Woburn Toddington Ampthill Cranfield & Shillington areas

Service Affected:  Loss of 2G services to sites for up to 2 hours. Our 3G network will still be working as normal.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 06 September 2014 
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 07 September 2014 

Area:  Levenshulme  Ardwick & Hulme areas of Manchester

Service Affected:  Loss of 2G services to sites for up to 2 hours. Our 3G network will still be working as normal.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 05 September 2014 
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 06 September 2014 

Area: Ballycastle, Coleraine, Limavady and Ballmoney

Service Affected: Loss of 2G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 2 hours. Our 3G network will still be working fine for calls, texts and data.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 21 June 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 22 June 2014

Area: Scunthorpe

Service Affected: Loss of 2G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 2 hours. Our 3G network will still be working fine for calls, texts and data.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 21 June 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 22 June 2014

Area: Dundee, Forfar Monifieth, Carnoustie & Arbroath

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 20 June 2014 
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 21 June 2014 

Area: Saltash, Plymouth, 

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 09 July 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 10 July 2014

Area: Tiverton, Exeter & Exmouth,

Service Affected: Loss of 2G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 4 hours. Our 3G network will still be working fine for calls, texts and data.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 09 July 2014
  • Maintenance Duration: Up to 4 hours
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 10 July 2014

Area: Okehampton, 

Service Affected: Loss of 2G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 4 hours. Our 3G network will still be working fine for calls, texts and data.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 10 July 2014
  • Maintenance Duration: Up to 4 hours
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 11 July 2014

Area: Penzance, Redruth, Truro & Saint Austell
Service Affected: Loss of 2G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 4 hours. Our 3G network will still be working fine for calls, texts and data. 22:00 on10 July 2014
  • Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on10 July 2014
  • Maintenance Duration: Up to 4 hours
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 11 July 2014

Area: Cambuslang Birkenshaw Uddingston Motherwell & Hamilton

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 11 July 2014
  • Maintenance Duration: Up to 2 hours
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 12 July 2014

Area: Cambuslang Birkenshaw Uddingston Motherwell & Hamilton
Service Affected:
 Loss of 2G services for calls, texts, email and internet for up to 2 hours. Our 3G network will still be working fine for calls, texts and data.

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 11 July 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 12 July 2014

Area: Hartlepool, Redcar and Middlesbrough

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 19 July 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 20 July 2014

Area: Hackney

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 19 July 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 20 July 2014

Area: Poplar Greenwich

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 18 July 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 19 July 2014

Area: Workington Whitehaven

• Maintenance Period Begins: 22:00 on 26 July 2014
  • Maintenance Period Ends: 06:00 on 27 July 2014

We'll keep this post updated with new dates as and when they're planned.

If you're experiencing issues with your coverage that isn't covered by this maintenance, then your first port of call should be our thread that allows you to check the service status of your area here. If it shows that we're currently working on a fault in your area, then we'll get that sorted as soon as we're able. If it says your signal should be fine, then head into our Help forum where you'll be able to troubleshoot your issue further with our members.

Cheers,

~Will T

giffgaff Educator
Feeling chatty? You can send me a PM for a lovely conversation. Need a topic? Try here.

kbbanner.png           New quiz: Gold Tier
giffgaff Educator
t_will

Re: Service Checker and Planned Mast Maintenance

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Some more maintenance is planned to run in Bradford from next Monday to Friday. It won't be happening in all areas for the whole week, but you might see a few blips in service while they work on any one specific area. The result of it all should mean a noticable increase in coverage - both in area and providing better indoor service - after the maintenance. Vital statistics below:

Area: Bradford

Service Affected: 2G and 3G service. We're upgrading our network to increase the areas we cover and provide better service indoors.

Maintenance Period Begins: 00:01 on 10 Jun 2013

Maintenance Duration: Variable and brief - you may see up to three periods of no service for short periods of time; one when we work on the specific part of the mast that services the area you're in, and one when we reboot the euipment at the end of the maintenance period.

Maintenance Period Ends: 23:59 on 14 Jun 2013

There'll be a fair few of these types of maintenance over the coming months as we roll out the upgrade across the country and more and more of you get to benefit, so keep an eye on this thread for your area coming soon and to give the best help you can :smileyhappy:

~WT

giffgaff Educator
Feeling chatty? You can send me a PM for a lovely conversation. Need a topic? Try here.

as7861
Kudos: 3,579
Best Answers: 885

Re: Service checker and future mast maintenance

[ Edited ]

Here is three more :smileytongue: ( from o2 status site )

Jun 15, 2013

10:00 pm
Jun 16, 2013

06:00 am
NOTIFICATION OF MAINTENANCE TO THE O2 2G NETWORK

We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10pm on 15/06/2013 and 6am on the 16/06/2013. 

This will result in the loss of 2G services to sites for up to 4 hours in

this area:

· Ealing (reference number 1945069)

If you've got a 2G phone, you won't be able to use it for calls, texts, email, or internet. Our 3G network will be working as normal.

Pending
Jun 15, 2013

Jun 16, 2013

We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10pm on 15/06/2013 and 6am on the 16/06/2013. 

these areas:

· Isle of Wight, Christchurch and Lymington (reference number 1945037)

If you've got a 2G phone, you won't be able to use it for calls, texts, email, or internet. Our 3G network will be working as normal.

Pending
Jun 15, 2013

Jun 16, 2013

these areas:

· Swindon, Chippenham and Marlborough (reference number 1923791)

Pending

piplisa
Topics: 27
Kudos: 364
Best Answers: 22

Re: Service checker and future mast maintenance

thanks for the dates

Get a free giffgaff Sim
beginner
amarjitks

[ Edited ]

Hi, I've checked the site and it says that there is a mast not working in my area, my calls have been disrupted for over 5 weeks now, I have got no or very little reception in my house and it is causing alot of problems as I use it for work too.  Can you tell me how long it will take to restore the service in the B20 area please? Thanks

giffgaff Educator
t_will

[ Edited ]

as7861 - Thanks for posting :smileyhappy: You'll notice that these are in the post now after we've confirmed the impact to giffgaff.

amarjitks wrote:

Hi, I've checked the site and it says that there is a mast not working in my area, my calls have been disrupted for over 5 weeks now, I have got no or very little reception in my house and it is causing alot of problems as I use it for work too.  Can you tell me how long it will take to restore the service in the B20 area please? Thanks

If the checker shows that there is an issue, then it also means that your mast is scheduled for maintenance soon. However, when a mast in your area is not working correctly, you should be able to use a different mast if there is one nearby - it may be worth troubleshooting with our members in Help if your phone isn't doing this correctly.

giffgaff Educator

beginner
angelbutterfly

hi my fone has been down 7 hrs today, is it goin to be off till 14th now, im new to giff gaff n feelin like iv lost my hand 2day not avin my fone, if its stayin off few days im thinkin of buyin anotha sim 4 a few days as i cant use anything n need to, thank you
giffgaff Educator
t_will

angelbutterfly wrote:
hi my fone has been down 7 hrs today, is it goin to be off till 14th now, im new to giff gaff n feelin like iv lost my hand 2day not avin my fone, if its stayin off few days im thinkin of buyin anotha sim 4 a few days as i cant use anything n need to, thank you

Hi Angel, this work is only taking place in Bradford at the moment. If you are in this area, then your service shouldn't be unavailable for the rest of the week - while work will be ongoing in other parts of the city until Friday, no one area should see service go out for the entire period. You might also notice another short blip at the end when they turn everything off and on again.

If this doesn't sound like you're affected, make sure you troubleshoot the issue in Help, as our members will be able to advise what to do to figure it out.

~WT

giffgaff Educator

sbernard1

Issues persist in Dalston Hoxton Shoreditch dropping out of 3 g to E and sometimes nothing 1 bar showing now on iPhone 4 E8 is getting some spotty service (sigh)
Join us Folding for a Cure! www.http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team Giffgaff: 225473