Service Updates

newcomer
dansus

Re: Some more information on our data Fair Usage Policy

I use about 5-7gb of data pm on my handset presently, would like to join the GiffGaff party but would require access to higher levels of data first.

Maybe a premium plan could be offered and of course i would be happy to pay more for it.

consultant
paul_shirley

Just go for it, make sure you buy a £10 or higher goody bag every 30 days and 7Gb shouldn't be a problem provided you aren't tethereing... and have a good 3G signal from O2. Where I am now it would not be possible to use that much - very flaky 3G coverage. Giffgaff made a marketting decision to appeal to heavy data users provided you buy some voice so come join the party!
newcomer
dansus

[ Edited ]

Sounds tempting but i would need a more official responce from a giff-staffer before going ahead.

Sounds like there needs to be a data goodie bag for heavy/ipad/slate/mid users. Something like a plan with 300 mins, 300 texts and 10gb data.

This is more or less what i get now from tmobile for £30.

maestro
commsyeo

This is what they say on the pricing page. I would regard that as official.

Quote:

Is unlimited really unlimited?
The answer is yes, we are unlimited for personal mobile use - but not for commercial and automated use. Mobile Internet allowances exclude PC use and tethering.

Unquote.

So, if you buy a £10 or more goodybag then, providing you aren't using it to link your PC of for tethering, you're fine for all the Gb that you can use.

CY

newcomer
dansus

[ Edited ]

The OP talks about 100mb per day being the fair use policy. That works out at 3gb pm.

instructor
trick202

No mate; that's for the free data GG offer before 25th May.

If you buy a googybag at £10 or more, then you have UNLIMITED DATA so long as you don't tether.

If you can do 7 gigs a month, then all the best to you! You'd be very much the exception rather than the rule - but I realise there are power users out there.

------------------------------------------------------
Rich
@trick202
http://gplus.to/trick202
instructor
trick202

dansus wrote:

Sounds tempting but i would need a more official responce from a giff-staffer before going ahead.

Sounds like there needs to be a data goodie bag for heavy/ipad/slate/mid users. Something like a plan with 300 mins, 300 texts and 10gb data.

This is more or less what i get now from tmobile for £30.

By the way: for another £5 a month from what are currently paying - you would have unlimited EVERYTHING on the £35 goodybag.

Rich
@trick202
maestro
commsyeo

Yes, he does. At the moment there is a FUP of 100Mb per day. This will remain in place until 25th May 2010 when giffgaff starts to charge for data use. Then there will be no FUP and all will be as tyhe pricing page states. Currently, giffgaff has not updated its pricing for non-goodybag pricing as it is free at the moment. giffgaff has announced that non-goodybag data will be charged at £2/Mb for the first 250Kb per day and then capped up to 100Mb per day (that is, you will be charged 2p per Kb up to 50p and then nothing more up to 100Mb. There will then be additional charging but, as yet, giffgaff has not announced what this will be. giffgaff is being very adament that it will not apply a FUP for data.

Hope this helps.

CY

newcomer
dansus

[ Edited ]

If thats true, then it is tempting. Although i can currently tether and use voip with my current plan, i cant access iplayer, anyone on gg able to use the iplayer app on Symbian or Android?

Edit: Too good to be true.

@CY Im confused again, sounds like 3gb will cost £15 with unknown costs above. Think i will wait till something is confirmed.

instructor
trick202

Can't count for the other platforms, but on the iPhone, you just navigate to the mobile site and bookmark it on your springboard.

When you go to watch a movie, it opens up QT.

That's the beauty of a closed shop - the iPlayer app on Android is a brilliant piece of kit, but as it's open and unofficial, it can't guarantee it's effectiveness.

I'm sure some people on here are VOIPing though p- and even video calling. I guess that's the reason you use so much data - because you tether?

That's a no-no I'm afraid - at least to the degree you're talking about. It's a decision that's been made to protect the user experience for ALL gg users.

At those sorts of figures, I'd suggest a talk-talk broadband package with wi-fi - unless you're of no fixed abode? :smileywink:

Rich
@trick202