Social: General Discussion

contributor
craig101

Acer Aspire 5551 BIOS Update... any tech experts on GG?

So, i am having a major issue with my battery where it only charges to around 80% then stops. I have tried recalibrating it (charging it to as far as it goes, draining it and recharging it) to no prevail.

I have been doing some research and found out that a BIOS update COULD potentially fix the issue but also be warned that it could seriously mess up the system if it is done wrongly.

Have you ever done a BIOS update? What issues did it cause, if any? Should i risk it?

I have put this in Off  topic as well but i wasn't sure where to put it.  

graduate
stueeey

Re: Acer Aspire 5551 BIOS Update... any tech experts on GG?

[ Edited ]

I have replied off topic and that's where it should be really. As this one is for Giffgaff issues really.  But I am sure that people won't mind that much that the thread is in here.

morvin

Yes Off Topic is the right sections mate.

BIOS update are not harmful at all. Justmake sure its the correct BIOS update for your hardware.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Please give 'KUDOS' if you like my post. If my answer helped then please click 'Accept as Solution'
koooowweeee
Topics: 52
Kudos: 76

Don't worry everyone does it.

Just download the correct files.

And read up about flashing bins first
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
othalian
Kudos: 483
Ideas: 29

Giffgaff etiquette requires you to post such topics in the correct Forum. This post should be in the Off-Topic forum but don't worry I have requested its removal from here to the correct forum.

I have done this a number of time including the computer I am typing on now. A Bios update can potentially kill your computer if you do it wrong. However the manufacturers have a pretty safe way for doing it. Just make sure you keep a backup of the old Bios before you overwrite it. And take it slow so you minimise the risks.

Good luck
former giff-staffer
tobias_b

Moved to Off-topic :smileyhappy:
Former educator.....but I'm still around :smileywink:
andrewredman
Topics: 28

[ Edited ]

you may have already done the google, here's one i found, take your time and best wishes!  always worth having a go!

http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer's-BIOS  :smileyhappy:

edit:  found this as well?  http://www.www-bios.co.uk/