Social: General Discussion

helper
charley16

CRB check and informal police caution.

Hey,

This isn't for me but on behalf of someone else. 

My friend was given an informal caution for assault against me. She suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder and has just come out of a psychiatric hospital so it wasn't her usual self. If it can be contested, I really think we have grounds to remove it from her ECRB disclosure. 

At this point of her life, she was living on the streets, had no medication, was discharged from hospital knowing she felt suicidal and was attempting to do so. She was having a break down and I think it is unfair that it stays there. She was given it about 6 months ago.

Will it show up anyway or disappear after so many years? Can I argue the point? Do I stand a chance of getting it removed?

Mental health is an illness which shouldn't be punished. I know she wouldn't have done this if the doctor had given her the medication.

rocket scientist
jaycat

Re: CRB check and informal police caution.

[ Edited ]

It's few years since I was involved in doing the paperwork for CRB checks, so I might be wrong, but I think it will stay on a check.

Edit: if she's getting one done for a job, an employer might not take it into account anyway

I'm no-one's boss but my own.
helper
charley16

Can I contest it as it was due too ill mental health?
rocket scientist
jaycat

I don't know if it can be contested - but if she's having one done for a job, so could explain the circumstances to the employer.

I'm no-one's boss but my own.
helper
charley16

It's not for a job. It's more for her peace of mind. I am her carer so I have to think of her best interests. I know she signed for it but she wasn't mentally fit and that can be proved.
navigator
davtra4376

[ Edited ]

An Informal caution generally refers to " A word in someones ear". It is not a criminal record. It is generally words of advice given by a police officer to someone regarding their behaviour. They may be asked to sign the Police officers notebook as a record of the conversation.

A caution issued at a police station however (following arrest)  is given  as an alternative to going to court. It lasts for at least 5 years and then "expires". it will appear on any CRB check.

If the caution was given at a police station following interview but you believe that she was not in a fit mental state to accept it you should seek legal advice. Many solicitors offer a free initial interview. You could also seek advice from Citizens Advice. They should be able to advise any action that you may be able to take.

Good luck

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
chaperon
gypsy

its with you for life.

I have then back in the 80's to the beginning of the 1990.

and having trouble looking for work, if they do a check it come up.

all those year back. it just not fair.

as i have been good for so long.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim