Social: General Discussion

steward
im_loving_it

Is download torrents illegal in UK?

People are downloading movies using torrents.

My peronal opinion:

I don't know if it is illegal to download them, I thought that if my friend or someone has a film and wants to share it with me then they shares it with me by giving me the disc or whatever, like when my friend has a video game and says wants to share it with me he gives the disc to so i can borrow it me so i can play it.

2 questions:

1. Is downloading torrents of movies people are sharing on the internet illegal? and why?

2. Will anything legally happen to someone who has downloaded a torrent for sharing a movie and what?

wman2
Topics: 206
Kudos: 2,688

Re: Is download torrents illegal in UK?

im_loving_it wrote:

People are downloading movies using torrents.

My peronal opinion:

I don't know if it is illegal to download them, I thought that if my friend or someone has a film and wants to share it with me then they shares it with me by giving me the disc or whatever, like when my friend has a video game and says wants to share it with me he gives the disc to so i can borrow it me so i can play it.

2 questions:

1. Is downloading torrents of movies people are sharing on the internet illegal? and why?

2. Will anything legally happen to someone who has downloaded a torrent for sharing a movie and what?

1) If it's a copyrighted film (i.e. less than 50 years old) then it's illegal, as it's not your property unless you bought it, making it illegal

2) A few cases have appeared here and there of conviction but generally they are seen to be making an example, rather than a general thing to occur (not that I condone it)

academic
fourteenth

Re: Is download torrents illegal in UK?

Torrents aren't illegal providing you don't download copyrighted software, music or videos with them. I don't really think much will happen if you use torrents, I'm sure millions of people illegally download things. Very low chance you will get caught unless your downloading high amounts of data.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Did I Help? Please click the "Accept as solution" Button! Thank You.