Social: General Discussion

chippanfat
Topics: 152
Kudos: 214

Royal Mail - return to sender charge?

I placed an order for an item on eBay last night from a business seller (buy it now) and this morning I sent an email to cancel the order before it was dispatched.  The item has now been dispatched via 1st class tracked.

Is it possible to refuse the parcel at my door or my local sorting office?  Is there a charge for returning the parcel to the sender?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
adam98675
Topics: 50
Kudos: 997

Re: Royal Mail - return to sender charge?

Just refuse it it will go back to the sorting office with a sticker which says refused by addressee, if it has a return address, it will go straight back, if it doesn't they'll open it and try work out who send it and send it back :smileyhappy:

The power of google :smileytongue:
tutor
koshka

If you don't accept it will be returned to the sender after about 3 weeks  by the post office.

As you have 7 days to make returns under statutory rights I'm not sure where you stand

re a refund.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
chippanfat

adam98675 wrote:
Just refuse it it will go back to the sorting office with a sticker which says refused by addressee, if it has a return address, it will go straight back, if it doesn't they'll open it and try work out who send it and send it back :smileyhappy:

I did search for information using Google but I couldn't get a clear answer :smileysad:  If I refuse the parcel, will the sender be charged for its return?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
novice
uselfulinfo

chippanfat wrote:

adam98675 wrote:

I did search for information using Google but I couldn't get a clear answer :smileysad:  If I refuse the parcel, will the sender be charged for its return?

No.

I have had a mobile phone which I sent special delivery come back to me after 18 days. I was not charged anything but the initial postage

number5bus
Topics: 2
Kudos: 87

It isn't likely to travel back very quickly, especially this month, so you might end up in dispute with ebay and the seller.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
chippanfat

number5bus wrote:
It isn't likely to travel back very quickly, especially this month, so you might end up in dispute with ebay and the seller.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/online-shopping/distance-selling-regulations/cancelling-your-...

The Distance Selling Regulations don’t actually set a time frame for returning an item once you've cancelled. 

The seller shouldn't say that you've got seven working days starting the day after you receive goods to return them; this is the time frame you have to make a decision about whether you want the goods or not. 

You should be given a reasonable amount of time to actually get the goods back to the seller.

Get a free giffgaff Sim