Social: General Discussion

cicerone
colr

Windows 8 is driving me crazy!

Hi guys just got Windows 8 and it is driving me crazy, can anyone tell me how I get the "Classic" Start menu back? I hate this Apps look, I've got a laptop that doesn't have touchscreen so I don't see how this makes me life easier! lol Thanks and happy new year to you all!

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Or private message me if you would like a Micro sim
johnporter29
Topics: 93
Kudos: 907

Re: Windows 8 is driving me crazy!

There are many options but the 2 better ones are:

Start8 ($5) or Classic Shell (Free)

gg
darrenpainter
Kudos: 13,230

Since Microsoft stripped out the Start Menu code, there isn't any in-built way of getting it back

You might want to take a look at some of the 3rd party options suggested in

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8

supporter
irfanali2304

[ Edited ]

And this is the exact reason I an not going to upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate

But thats just my opinion :smileywink:

supporter
exaflop

This article http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-is-the-new-xp-7000006095/ gives an amusing history lesson on new Windows version scepticism :smileyhappy:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
cicerone
colr

Oh thanks guys! Been looking for a laptop for ages now, managed to get one yesterday but didn't realise how horrid Windows 8 is! I'm sure it's great if you have a touchscreen but it aitn't much use if you don't!

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Or private message me if you would like a Micro sim
johnporter29
Topics: 93
Kudos: 907

colr wrote:

Oh thanks guys! Been looking for a laptop for ages now, managed to get one yesterday but didn't realise how horrid Windows 8 is! I'm sure it's great if you have a touchscreen but it aitn't much use if you don't!

I love Windows 8 and the new start screen, I'm on a desktop with a normal monitor and keyboard / mouse, don't find so unsable that I'd have to use third party software.

I appreciate that is your opinion, but I believe if you get over the myth that it was designed for touch screens then you'll be fine. It was designed with touch in mind for not for touch devices only.

gg
rebelyell
Topics: 235
Kudos: 2,565
Ideas: 1

Windows 8 is an upgrade that I'm in no hurry to adopt. Windows 7 is working fine for me and I haven't discovered any "got to have" features in version 8.

For me Win 8 is the least exciting upgrade yet (with the exception of Win ME). I guess eventually I'll be forced to upgrade but I'll bide my time until then.
rebelyell
Topics: 235
Kudos: 2,565
Ideas: 1

Did you see this article? Apparently you have the right to a legal downgrade from Win 8 to Win 7 if you buy a computer with v8 installed.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-skip-windows-8-and-continue-using-windows-7-7000001734/

"And on top of all that, you and your business have downgrade rights. When purchased with a new PC, Windows 8 Pro incorporates license terms similar to those of its predecessors, including the right to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional. When you buy a new PC with Windows 8 Pro installed, you can legally replace it with a copy of Windows 7 Professional."

supporter
exaflop

rebelyell wrote:

Did you see this article? Apparently you have the right to a legal downgrade from Win 8 to Win 7 if you buy a computer with v8 installed.

Only if it is the Win 8 pro version installed. If it is Windows 8 standard I don't think that option is included.

Get a free giffgaff Sim