Social: General Discussion

Reply
supporter
jamie
Posts: 646
Registered: ‎06-01-2010
Mobile Phone: HTC One M8

Windows is not genuin

Hello ,
I bought a nice laptop from a carboot , Yeah silly place but it was a good deal .

I checked it all out and it came with windows 7 and when i checked it was activated and genuin .

Logged in recently to find out that my windows is not genuin and needs to be payed for!!

The laptop does have a windows vista sticker but no product code .
What can i do ? I cannot track the seller either .

Thanks,
Jamie

Twitter - @JamieEarlTEK
mondeoman1970
Posts: 1,527
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: Windows is not genuin

You will need to buy window vista or windows 7.

 

There is no point looking for cracks and hacks as you have found out, sooner or later Microsoft will check and find out when your running MS updates.

 

Or you could install Ubuntu if you know about things like that, its free and some like it much better than windows.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
novice
nuttyprof
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎26-05-2010

Re: Windows is not genuin

[ Edited ]

Sorry dude but you've been shafted. Laptop appears to have a trial copy installed, runs out after 30 days, or a copy installed without the correct product ID

 

Might be able to use system restore to reset to before the update or would suggest factory restore option if it still exists on HDD.

 

What make, model, ect? (Left click start, right click My Comupter (or Computer), left click Properties.)

*********************************************************************************
If I helped you please help me.
What's the little star to the left for and what happens if you click on it?
If your question has been answered please mark as an accepted solution
newcomer
madtreelizard
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-05-2010

Re: Windows is not genuin

I'm afraid there is little to be done in this situation about finding the seller.

 

The best thing to do is purchase another copy of windows (still using XP myself =] )

 

You can do this or if it was an illegal pirate version windows probably patched to detect this recently. D

 

If so you might be able to system restore to before this point and turn off automatic updates and this might stop that annoying box popping up saying "buy me". This does mean that no security updates will be applied to the laptop so not best for the internet usage http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

 

Or you could always turn it into a linux computer, completely free and worth trying!

http://linux.co.uk/

 

Just a few suggestions =]

mondeoman1970
Posts: 1,527
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: Windows is not genuin

Here's a good site if your looking for low cost software that may be of some use to you.....

 

 

http://www.software4students.co.uk/

 

 

Who can buy software at Software4Students?

Primary and Secondary students: All currently registered students of primary and second level schools in the UK

University and college students: All currently registered students of universities and colleges in the UK

Parents, grandparents and guardians: If you are a parent or guardian or have a grandson or granddaughter for whom you would like to license the software, then you can purchase the software. The main requirement to purchase is that the end user licensee must be a student or be a faculty member in one of our listed educational institutions.

Teachers: Teachers employed by an accredited primary or secondary school, or a public or private university or college

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
counsellor
danielclo1il
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎15-01-2010
Mobile Phone: iPhone 4 32GB White

Re: Windows is not genuin

if you take a photo of the product id on the laptop, and contact MS they will send you a key i bleieve

Thanks
Dann




motivator
ibiza
Posts: 2,909
Registered: ‎03-07-2010

Re: Windows is not genuin

[ Edited ]

Stuff windows!  :smileyhappy:

 

Ubuntu is free, and if you are only using web browsing, and office packages lightly you are unlikely to even notice a difference - other than better speed and virtually no viruses!  Additionally, virtually everything written for it is free too, and you select from a browser what other programs you want - the only restriction being your storage capacity!

 

http://www.ubuntu.com/

 

You can burn it onto a disk, and try it as if it was your main operating system (although running from your DVD drive it will obviously not hit anywhere like full speed).

 

There is even a package called Wine that will run many windows programs.

 

What it wont do its support recent games for windows, or large windows based packages.

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- - THOSE NOT POSTING NICELY - WILL BE TAKEN OUT THE BACK AND SHOT!! - -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
counsellor
danielclo1il
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎15-01-2010
Mobile Phone: iPhone 4 32GB White

Re: Windows is not genuin

 


ibiza wrote:

Stuff windows!  :smileyhappy:

 

Ubuntu is free, and if you are only using web browsing, and office packages lightly you are unlikely to even notice a difference - other than better speed and virtually no viruses!  Additionally, virtually everything written for it is free too, and you select from a browser what other programs you want - the only restriction being your storage capacity!

 

http://www.ubuntu.com/

 

You can burn it onto a disk, and try it as if it was your main operating system (although running from your DVD drive it will obviously not hit anywhere like full speed).

 

There is even a package called Wine that will run many windows programs.

 

What it wont do its support recent games for windows, or large windows based packages.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

3 words...

 

 

 

GET A MAC :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks
Dann




mondeoman1970
Posts: 1,527
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Re: Windows is not genuin


danielclo1il wrote:

if you take a photo of the product id on the laptop, and contact MS they will send you a key i bleieve


Na Daniel, I think he means the laptop has a sticker saying "windows vista" next to the touch pad. 

He has no product ID.

 

 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
counsellor
danielclo1il
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎15-01-2010
Mobile Phone: iPhone 4 32GB White

Re: Windows is not genuin

 


mondeoman1970 wrote:

danielclo1il wrote:

if you take a photo of the product id on the laptop, and contact MS they will send you a key i bleieve


Na Daniel, I think he means the laptop has a sticker saying "windows vista" next to the touch pad. 

He has no product ID.

 

 


Ahhh,

 

Thanks
Dann