Social: General Discussion

pathfinder
planeman

Re: Windows vs mac ?

coloncancer wrote:
Have the best of both worlds - build a compatible PC, buy OSX and install MacOS on the PC.

I'm sure you know that's illegal. 

Only Apple hardware can legally run OS X.

academic
callumacrae

coloncancer wrote:
Have the best of both worlds - build a compatible PC, buy OSX and install MacOS on the PC.

You clearly have never tried that. I ran a hackintosh for about 6 months, they're a pain to use, unstable and get updates about 3 months late.

~Callum

Why I left giffgaff: my (not so great) experience with the giffgaff agents: http://pastebin.com/hDy2izfy
academic
callumacrae

planeman wrote:

coloncancer wrote:

The EULA says "Apple branded hardware", so putting an apple sticker on it makes it legal :smileyhappy:

Even without, it's a grey area

~Callum

Why I left giffgaff: my (not so great) experience with the giffgaff agents: http://pastebin.com/hDy2izfy
tutor
coloncancer

callumacrae wrote:

You clearly have never tried that. I ran a hackintosh for about 6 months, they're a pain to use, unstable and get updates about 3 months late.

I clearly have, because I run a hackintosh.  Mine is almost as stable as official mac hardware [my macbook air], not a pain to use in the slightest and I'm in no rush to update, but vanilla can generally update straight away.

Get better supported hardware the next time you try.

planeman wrote:

EULA/T&Cs don't equal law.  It is against the EULA, it isn't illegal.

Click HERE to request a free SIM card with £5 free credit upon activation.
Having Problems? Try the Search Engine as your first port-of-call.
Bowel Cancer UK - Raising Awareness.
wman2
Topics: 206
Kudos: 2,701

My vote goes with Ubuntu Linux too.  Ubuntu works well on most computers (Macs and PCs), is totally free and boots up very quickly.

I'm intrigued by the new Google Chrome Laptop, though.  I would sign up for their pilot scheme for the beta laptops, but you have to live in the USA :-(   Ah well, cloud computing is probably the way forward.

rookie
metalmickey
Mobile Phone: ZTE Blade|CM7

Re: Windows vs Mac ?

[ Edited ]

What a brilliant reply, by nutella, right on the mark. I use windows/LinuxMint at the moment, I bought an Mac a while back to see what all the fuss was about, at that time I was having problems with windows & everyone was raving about how much more stable OSX was, no blue screen of death that windows suffers from. Guess what? OSX has it's own version!! a white screen of death!

Maybe I was just unlucky but I had more problems than with the windows I was dual booting on it.

The thing that got me was I was always looking for software "I use this programme on windows, so what it is the equivalent for mac?"

Not only that I also try where possible to use freeware in stead of paid versions of software, something which I found wasn't as easy to do on a Mac.

If you want to try something different I would say download one of the many versions of linux, a few actually look like a Mac. You can safely run it from the disc without touching your computer & if you like it distros like LinuxMint or Ubuntu now include a way to install it along side windows, just like you do with a regular programme(which you can uninstall if you get bored!)

The way I look at it is, the idea for windows was (allegedly) copied from apple macs

(didn't gates work for them at some point? Or am I confusing IBM?)

Anyways Macs are based on Unix, which is based on.....

Linux :smileywink: which pretty much powers the whole internet anyways.

Linux is a good way to try something similar to what you want, but for free:smileyvery-happy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
tutor
coloncancer

You've got it the wrong way round.

Linux is a unix-like system. MacOS is based off unix. Linux doesn't power the whole internet, but *nix system power a large proportion of it.
Click HERE to request a free SIM card with £5 free credit upon activation.
Having Problems? Try the Search Engine as your first port-of-call.
Bowel Cancer UK - Raising Awareness.
newcomer
pcollister

Ive had my MacBook Pro for just under two years now. I've only had one problem so far, I got a kernel panic (the 'white screen of death' as someone put it) I took it to te apple store they diagnosed it and replaced the hard drive for me within the hour, plus it was free.
Far be it from me to start a mac vs pc war but the service alone is with the extra money, if I have a problem with my computer I know where to go and in almost all cases apple have a same day turnaround on genius repairs :smileyhappy:
rookie
metalmickey
Mobile Phone: ZTE Blade|CM7

coloncancer wrote:
You've got it the wrong way round.

Linux is a unix-like system. MacOS is based off unix. Linux doesn't power the whole internet, but *nix system power a large proportion of it.

Yeah!

What he said, I just said it the wrong way round :smileytongue:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
graduate
plastix

Can open.... worms.... everywhere!!

There is no correct answer to your question and is a hotly debated subject with often some very biased arguments on both sides, so always good to read as much as possible and make your own judgement based upon your own requirements, rather than just rely on the opinions of others.

Apple, Linux PCs and Windows PCs all have very different philosophies and wide range of both pros and cons.  Plus, what is a pro for one person, may be seen as a con for another, so you need to look at your personal situation and requirments.

Do you own any other tech that may need to interact with your potential PC/Mac? iPhone, iPod, Zune, Windows Phone7, Android Phone, Apple TV, Google TV etc etc?

Often you can take advantage of additional functionality by buying new tech that compliments your existing tech, as they often 'just work' with each other.  This is especially true of Apple, where as if you use many different devices, PC is far more hardware 'agnostic'.

Do you play games?  If you do, then the best option is Windows. There are alternatives and some games that work in OSX or Linux natively or using special software (such as Wine), but simply PC is the best and easiest way to play the latest games.

Macs strengths lie with heavy use of media, a reputation for being stylish, and a simple and easy to use design ethic.  If you own other Apple tech it will all 'just work' very easily with each other.  However you will pay a premium; you may find software/games you use on PC do not have a Mac version; and  Macs do not have the same options when it comes to customisation & upgrading.

Now for my personal preference: Linux PC.  The OS is free. It is immensly customisable (both the OS and the hardware) and, with enough knowledge, it is limited only by your imagination.  It also seems to be far better with recognising older hardware, that windows no longer supports. Linux still requires a little more technical ability (or at least confidence to try), than the others; However that is gradually changing with Ubuntu (and similar Linux Distros) and is becomming increasingly user freindly.

For most bang for-my-buck and flexibility, I use a PC that dual booths both Windows 7 and Ubuntu.  Ubuntu for daily web browing etc, and Win 7 for playing the latest games.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim