How do I report my phone and/or SIM lost or stolen?

0 Kudos

Question

What should I do if my phone and/or SIM got lost or stolen?

Answer

Losing one's SIM card or phone is a distressing experience but we created solutions to help our members protect their phone number and credits, block their phone and get the appropriate documentation for their insurer.

Protect your phone

OS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS-based phones all have methods which in the event of losing your phone, enable you to keep tabs on where your smartphone is via a computer and in some cases, what state it's in.

Note that you need to have subscribed to these services and applications before losing your phone as it requires a set-up step.

Phones are expensive items and we advise to insure yours. It will not only cover you if it is lost or stolen, but can also cover accidental damages depending on the policy you subscribed to.

What to do when your phone or SIM goes missing

As soon as you notice that your phone or SIM card has disappeared from view, you can come to the website to let us know.

There you'll have the choice to:

• Block your SIM card
  • Block your SIM card and phone
We advise to let us know as soon as possible so we can block your phone and prevent fraudulent usages. Blocking your SIM card will take a few minutes and will make it impossible to use by anybody.

Block your phone and SIM card

When on the lost and stolen page:

1. Select  "Bar my phone & SIM"
  2. Select the most appropriate of the following options:
    1. SIM Swap
    2. Order a replacement SIM and block your phone

Lost my SIM card only

When on the lost and stolen page:

1. Select "Bar my SIM only"
  2. Select the most appropriate of the following options: 
    1. SIM Swap
    2. Order a replacement SIM

SIM Swap

SIM Swap is is the quickest way to block your SIM and get the control of your phone number back - but it does not block your phone. If you have an unactivated SIM card at hand, you'll be able to use your number again in a few minutes.

If you choose to SIM Swap, you'll be asked to confirm and you'll be then redirected to the normal SIM Swap procedure.

Order a SIM replacement

If you want to block your handset and order a replacement SIM, you will need to perform the following operations:

1. Select the size of the SIM card you wish to receive: standard & micro or nano SIM
  2. Verify your delivery address (and correct it if needed)
  3. Confirm you want to bar your SIM

Once this replacement SIM is ordered, you will not be able to do a SIM Swap until your replacement SIM has arrived and been activated.

It typically takes 2-3 working days for your new SIM to arrive, you'll need to activate it online when it arrives by clicking here. 

We advise to activate the replacement SIM card as soon as your receive it as your goodybag is still active. You'll then be able to select to recur your goodybag again.

If you don't receive the replacement SIM after a week, please contact an agent so we can reorder a replacement SIM for you. 

Block your phone

If you selected to block your phone, it will be put on a national blacklist and no-one will be able to use it.

Even once your phone has been blocked, we advise to change the password for the different applications you may have been running on your phone (email, instant messaging, ...).

If you need to unbar your phone you can do it by contacting an agent here and providing us with your IMEI number. You can find your IMEI number by dialling *#06# with your phone, or on the phone's original box. It will take around 5 working days to unbar your phone.

What's next?

Register at Immobilise, its a national database and totally free of charge. You can use the website to report the loss or theft of your phone. The police can also use this database to return it to you if it is later recovered.

If your phone was insured, your insurer will probably ask you for a proof usage. Contact the agents with your claim number and insurer's email address and we will send a statement to your insurer for you.

We can only provide them with this document once your phone has been registered as lost or stolen on the website.

If you think your number has been used without your consent, please contact us after having blocked the phone and / or SIM card. The agents will then check your recent usage for abuses and will refund your goodybag allowance or balance appropriately.

Handy links

Speaker.JPG

We'd love to hear what you think of this article. Really. We mean it.

Let the community know what you would do to improve this article.

Voice your opinion now

How do I report my phone and/or SIM lost or stolen?

started by chriskm on ‎20-03-2012 12:17 - last edited on ‎16-07-2015 16:40 by philbond
Looking for something?