Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
ouaisne

Advise members if they currently use data

by ouaisne on ‎30-01-2011 20:22

When the charges for data usage rolls out on 1st March there are bound to be many members who get charged for data they did not realise was being used. This will result in many unhappy bunnies and probably mayhem on the forums and questions to agents.

About a week before live date advise members of their average usage in say January (or anything that will give someone a clue that they WILL be charged). I would think that some people might not realise that their favourite game connects to get adverts or something else needs data to operate. Have seen some incredible figures for data usage on the forums and it is surprising just how much data some apps use for no real result.

To save work this could be restricted to those who only use small amounts of data each month.

This was implemented in March 2011.
Comments
by trudiw on ‎30-01-2011 20:30

Sounds good to me ! I wouldn't have a clue how much I use so it would help me decide if to have a hokey cokey or £10 goody bag :smileyhappy:

by leoninelives novice on ‎30-01-2011 22:12

I agree, it would definitely help me decide which goodybag to get too. I know I use data on my phone every day, but I have no idea how much I use!

by planeman on ‎31-01-2011 09:02

I don't see why giffgaff should do this.It's your phone, your responsible for what it does.

More appropriate would be a text warning of the upcoming data charges and advising to install a data monitoring app. There are free ones for most popular phones. 

by farhad_ on ‎31-01-2011 19:04

Huh? I havnt heard about this yet, are the data charges changing for the people that buy the £10 250 minutes/unlimited texts goodybag? 

I buy this every month, and recently bought an android phone and love the free internet on it from GiffGaff, dont tell me it's all about to change :smileysad:

by giffgaff head-scratcher darrenpainter on ‎31-01-2011 19:05

data usage charges are just for payg users and people with goodybags less than £10

by jlawes20389 on ‎31-01-2011 19:06

No, the internet for £10+ goodybags is not changing, just for those on £5.00 goodybags and PAYG users

by cylon on ‎05-02-2011 16:33

At least there should be a warning: you are using/paying data text at this rate, and then if you go over the 2.5MB or 30MB another one.

by vincent on ‎25-02-2011 14:51
Status changed to: Working On It
Hi all, great suggestion! We will be doing this and everyone who's used data (and opted in) will get a message explaining their usage and what would be the best plan for them going forward.
by vincent on ‎12-07-2011 11:42
Status changed to: Implemented
This was implemented in March 2011.
Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
How will you be spending Easter?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:1,325 members 3,991 guests