Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
thinkpad

Allow temporary call forwarding when ordering replacement SIM.

by thinkpad on ‎18-10-2011 12:27
I'm hoping this is not a duplicate.

When someone requests a replacement sim when they have either lost their sim or it has become faulty, the existing sim is barred. The user is then unable to make or receive any calls. I propose that the user is given an option to set call forwarding to a designated number when ordering replacement SIM so that they can still receive calls whilst the new SIM is being delivered. When the new SIM is activated the forwarding is automatically disabled.

Thanks for reading!
Hey folks, we won't be taking this any further as we can't see anyway around the security implications that would come from routing your phone calls to a different phone - however since the implementation of sim swap, this process is hopefully so painless you don't need to miss a call :smileyhappy: Kind regards, Hazel.
Comments
by bertiebat ‎18-10-2011 17:18 - edited ‎18-10-2011 17:24

Yes this is interesting.  There is a short code that can be used for diverting calls 

Call divert

not reachable

** 62 * phone number where calls are to be forwarded #

If this could be applied even though the SIM is deactivated by reporting the SIM lost then it would be very useful.  It could be an option on the lost phone link to include a forwarding phone number.

To keep implementation costs down, the users themselves could be told to cancel their own divert after the SIM is working properly by using the cancel code 

Call divert

not reachable cancel

#62#

by andreww ‎18-10-2011 17:32 - edited ‎18-10-2011 17:33
Nice idea, I like it :smileyhappy:. (ps and no, not a duplicate :smileywink:)
by jackiechanman on ‎18-10-2011 17:47

This is a brilliant idea! I had to order a replacement SIM and at the time I wasn't a heavy user (still not really), so didn't mind the 2, or so, day wait. However, I can see the uses for people who receive calls a lot and even small businesses. Kudos :smileyhappy:

by yuwa on ‎18-10-2011 18:08

nice idea, you have my kudos..

by oldyorkie ‎27-04-2013 00:09 - edited ‎27-04-2013 00:10

@Andrew

I too was puzzled - I had to use google and discovered that HLR stands for Home Location Register :smileyfrustrated:

Further confusion is then found by discovering that we then come across NSS - Network Switching Subsystem ..... if anyone wants to read further, the link is here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switching_subsystem

by giffgaff Educator on ‎05-12-2013 13:23
Status changed to: Not For Us
Hey folks, we won't be taking this any further as we can't see anyway around the security implications that would come from routing your phone calls to a different phone - however since the implementation of sim swap, this process is hopefully so painless you don't need to miss a call :smileyhappy: Kind regards, Hazel.
Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
Do you believe in ghosts?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:5,746 members 4,426 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: