Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
dizzydiane136

Don't Pop The Bubbles

by dizzydiane136 on ‎09-07-2011 16:21

From its early beginnings in 2010 it is clear giffgaff has expanded in leaps and bounds. It is to the benefit of all members that this expansion continues so we each need to be wary of inadvertently contributing to 'bursting the bubble'.

New members or Newbies come in all age groups and maturation levels. Some of them hit giffgaff  fora with an enthusiasm like a tidal wave and it is clear that many experienced giffgaff members find it irritating to have to wade through repetitious comments which may appear to be of the JPB (just for payback) variety; this is particularly true of comments which look banale, or even plagiaristic.  Experienced members in a pique of irritation may feel the need to take such individuals to one side, by using the QUOTE button to offer education to the infringing culprit.  When expertly done, by Educators for example, it will have a positive win- win benefit.  Sadly some feedback, no matter how well intentioned, can be received in a negative way.   Please rember. " If you have a Pop, you may burst the bubble".

To help the community here is my suggestion.

How do members feel about being banded into age peer groups?

Is it not true that our communication styles are easier to design to good effect if we knew, for example that the Newbie was under 14 years old, or even over 60?  I am not suggesting giffgaff should create age discrimination, but I do believe Newbies in particular would feel more comfortable addressing other members when they know the individuals age band.

And it could promote some wonderful off topic subjects.

How?  

1) Voluntarily  or  2) Mandatory

Perhaps we could have  a coloured band, or snooker ball linked to our avatar.

Red for  15y or under

Yellow    16y to 20

Green     21y to 30

Blue        31y to 60

White      61y or older

Your views on this idea would be welcome.

Whilst this is a nice idea, we feel that by attributing a colour to those under 15, it could actually make them more of a target, instead of foster understanding. Some of our main members are between 13-16, and personally I know they don't want people to know their ages, so this is something we couldn't force on members. Also we couldn't implement anything to stop people from lying about their ages. Which means you couldn't trust the bubbles anyway. It's a nicely thought out idea but unfortunately not one we can implement at the moment. Thank you.
Comments
by jamesd2010 on ‎09-07-2011 16:25

I don't like this idea, Giffgaff is about providing quality answers to others, no matter what age group. I agree that the support from the same age group would be more welcoming, but then you have the occurrence that members may not believe a certain age group because of they're stereotype in today's society, which of course would be age discrimination.

Age isn't something often frowned upon at giffgaff, I'd like to keep it that way.

by gawright on ‎09-07-2011 16:25

I don't see the point of this. If I ask a question, I just want answers from someone who knows what they are talking about. I don't care how old they are so long as they post reliable information in an understandable format

by jonmc95 on ‎09-07-2011 16:25

I agree with jamesd2010.

by dizzydiane136 on ‎09-07-2011 16:43

I think these 3 answers are a good example of the message I was conveying.

To provide a good response you should also consider which compnents of the argument that you do agree with.

It is a shame that thos who are so quick to hit the button are ones who dont look at all sides of the argument.

3 bubbles burst!

by gawright on ‎09-07-2011 16:48

Perhaps you'd like to explain how exactly it matters what the age of the person is rather than just dismissing comments from those that disagree with you? I don't see why anyone care about anything other than the quality of the response. Do you think that quality is somehow related to age?

by jamesd2010 on ‎09-07-2011 16:48

@dizztdiane136

I think you'll find my answer was a good response, hence I also considered the positive side to this idea: I agree that the support from the same age group would be more welcoming." 

So yes I did consider both sides of the argument, so please don't accuse me of not doing such thing.

by johnlaurence6 on ‎09-07-2011 17:07

I think it is an excellent idea. I believe she is not referring to those individual posts which give an excellent response to the question. I believe she is suggesting that we should not be to quick to criticise those members who, through their enthusiasm, attract our displeasure. Her suggestion refers to how we should communicate with those who may inadvertently irritate us.  I also believe she is saying that we should not be too quck to judge and we should always frame our comments in a positive feel good way.

I hope we don't stereotype any body on giffgaff  'though jamesd2010 does have a point. 

I wouldn't take gawrights comments too seriously, he is agreeing we shouldn't care who has answered our question correctly, but with all due respect to gawright, I believe he has missed the point:

What do we feel when someone doesn't answer the question correctly?

by gawright on ‎09-07-2011 17:11

So is the suggestion that we give more leeway to those who answer when they don't actually know the answer based on their age? How would we make that call? Are younger posters given more leeway than older posters?

Surely an incorrect answer is just as confusing no matter who posts it and should be avoided and pointed out

by lynz6 on ‎09-07-2011 17:13

I also think it is an excellent idea. I have seen some members criticising Newbies for joining in threads, when it is clear the Nebies were teenagers who were cricised for being too enthusiastic. They may well have been put on giffgaff by mum or dad.

The whole subject is about communication skills.

Perhaps having a pop at Newbies should be discouraged by gg and left to the educators who are trained in communication skills.

by gawright on ‎09-07-2011 17:16

But perhaps people shouldn't answer questions they know nothing about (regardless of whether they are newbies or not)?

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
How much would you pay to unlock a phone?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:6,013 members 3,251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: