Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
a0004uk

GiffGaff Internet Settings Wizard

by a0004uk on ‎12-05-2011 21:15

There does seem to be a constant stream of people asking for Internet settings. So to help cut down on the amount of threads created because of this, how about an interactive web based GiffGaff app ?

The user could navigate to the app and could either choose their phone model ( this option may only be feasible for the most popular phones. iPhones, San Francisco etc ... ) or choose their operating system ( iOS, android etc ...) and corresponding version. ( Could also have an option  to walkthrough how to find the version they are on)

After selecting this, the guide could provide a walkthrough of how to enter the settings. Also they would have the option to download the GiffGaff APN app etc... if they wish.

All with the aid of images of images of course to make it easier.

With the BlackBerry services coming sometime this year ,hopefully this would help reduce the inevitable onslaught of requests. 

Im sure members could pull together to fill in the blanks for each phone model, and provide graphics and such. Also coding skills would also be needed as i don't posses the required knowledge to create this.

Once it was initially created, it would only be a matter of updating software versions and new popuar phones. So not too much maintenance required.

For newbies to get the full benefit, why not automatically put a link to the app in the 'My GiffGaff' news feed ?

I have tried searching and couldn't find anything directly comparable to this. i know there are multiple guides already available, but wouldn't it be good to have them in one place ?

This idea is not suitable. However we are working on a strategy that is a much more preferred route. Rather than being web based we would prefer to have this work more pro-actively recognising the handset type and sending a message with the appropriate information.
Comments
by wman2 on ‎12-05-2011 21:19

It's a good idea - presumably working a bit like the Unlockap(a)edia?  Maybe a community-run project though, quite a lot of work, maybe payback bonuses for admins?  I don't know :smileyhappy:

by a0004uk ‎12-05-2011 21:21 - edited ‎12-05-2011 21:22

Thanks wman2. Yes similar to the unlockepedia :smileyhappy:

Maybe it could even be linked to it ?

by ed33 on ‎12-05-2011 21:21

Very good idea, like it

by soothsayer pinkcalculator on ‎12-05-2011 21:29
If it saves me going mad trying to get these setting in then absolutely. Have to be honest using my tmobile sim in my streak was just perfect, I didn't have to do anything. For users very new to Internet on the mobiles all these settings things is just such a nightmare :/
by h_carl on ‎12-05-2011 21:32

Nice idea! I think this will be a great addition aimed at the new users of GiffGaff, personally I think it should be done within a a couple of steps - as many steps can put users off using it.

by danielwoolnough on ‎12-05-2011 21:33
I am in the process of creating settings documentation to implemented into an online application. If anyone has phone suggestions and such, feel free to get in touch
by andreww on ‎12-05-2011 21:46

There aren't many good ideas being proposed at the moment - this one is very good though :smileyvery-happy:

by chubuking on ‎12-05-2011 21:55
Excellent idea !
by rong42 on ‎13-05-2011 10:27

excellent idea, but i doubt that gg will do it themselves but would prefer a user to create it

also it would need to be clearly advertised by gg during the activation process so that newbie's know of its existance (im sure people will end up posting on the forum anyway though)

by wollac11 on ‎14-05-2011 14:25

Nice idea - funnily enough I started work on site called getgiffgaffed about a month ago that is similar to this concept.  It's taking a while because I only have a little time to spend on it (just do a bit every now and then) but it will be live soon.

getgiffgaffed is a site that is basically just a step by step wizard for new members that gets them all ready and set-up on giffgaff. It includes easy steps for all the relevant stages e.g: ordering a sim, getting a pac code, unlocking your phone, activating your sim, transferring your number, setting up your phone and then some basic info about using giffgaff (like the numbers to dial for credit etc). The overall aim of it is to make it simple for people to join and start using giffgaff and to reduce all the duplicate questions on those common issues.

When it's done I will make a post on the giffgaff community and I'll also post back here.

Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,253 members 2,635 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: