Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
stephenmiller

Idea status review period

by stephenmiller ‎04-05-2012 13:56 - edited ‎04-05-2012 16:20

Shockingly this is my second idea in two days so I apologise for the spam.

I have noticed recently that there are some ideas marked accepted that receive no updates on their progress, this was brought to my attention by this.

Spoiler

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Online-usage-history-itemized-billing/i...

Posted: 17-02-2010

Accepted: 19-11-2010 

This is an extremely difficult and complex piece of work. So we will start by developing a way for people to view a summery of their data first. So this will not include precise records, but more percentages of usage. We hope to be able to provide this in the first half of 2011.
Accepted:01-11-2011
We are currently still looking at how this can be implemented with low cost, which is quite difficult at the moment, but an update on this should come early next year
Here is the accepted ideas board showing the oldest accepted ideas 

This is the most extreme example obviously but there are many other examples of accepted ideas that have received no updates of their progress in two years. For ideas to be marked a duplicate of another which is gathering dust with no update in so long does not create a good image and discourages people from supporting the original idea.

I propose that set review periods be put in place where the progress of an ideas development can be updated or the idea can be reassigned a new status if need be. I've put a few times as a guide but these don't have to be set in stone, the point is that there should be a timetable for review. 
  • Accepted ideas: 3 months
  • Need more feedback : 3 months
  • Under consideration: 6 months 
  • Future review: 12 months
After that amount of time the idea should be 'chased up' and the progress updated in the comments or the status changed if circumstances have changed since the original status was assigned.
A way that this could be done and kept up to date is with a calendar and alerts set or any other way that staff keep track of dates and deadlines
Benefits
Increased transparency on progress of accepted etc ideas.
Encourage staff to chase up older ideas.
Encourages duplicate posters to support the original idea.
Viability
A relatively simple process to sustain once set up and brought up to date. If the calendar is shared with the duplicator team they can also update as they see necessary
Technically no restrictions at all.
This has now been implemented - thanks Stephen!
Comments
by as7861 ‎04-05-2012 20:11 - edited ‎04-05-2012 20:11

Sounds good stephen :smileyhappy: 

But the thing is, would those periods mean a idea status update within those period of time? 

As it looks like a good idea for the idea board :smileyhappy: 

by suppers_ready on ‎04-05-2012 20:25

I had a feeling it would be that idea before I looked in the spoiler. I've never really understood how an idea can be accepted when it can't actually be delivered, personally I would of thought it should remain under consideration until it can be.

by stephenmiller on ‎04-05-2012 20:29

It basically means that after, for accepted ideas three months for example, the idea is chased up and a progress report posted or if it's no longer viable then the status is changed to reflect that.

by bertiebat on ‎04-05-2012 22:50

Yes I'm all for this idea as a few people challenge duplicates when the original hasn't been updated for so long.

It would also be nice to include a link to the update (with a date) in the status post so that it's very easy to see on the front of the idea. When updates are hidden in the comments of ideas with lots of comments it's a real pain to find them sometimes. :smileysad: 

by drlatheef on ‎05-05-2012 16:31
A great idea! It's often the case that some great ideas just get buried with the vast amount of information and the whole community just forgets about the idea. The Educators do, do their best but it's difficult for any community management :-)
by stephenmiller on ‎05-05-2012 19:10

Same as before thanks for getting behind this folks :smileyhappy:

by giffgaff Educator on ‎06-05-2012 10:45
Status changed to: Working On It
I'll work with you to set up the public calendar and we'll come up with a structured plan on how to fully implement this.
by stephenmiller on ‎06-05-2012 13:37

Wow that was fast, I did a bit of work on a calendar the day I posted this for my own benefit and to see how it would work but it's by no means complete. :smileyhappy:

by Community Manager on ‎03-08-2012 21:28
Status changed to: Working On It
This will be implemented soon, but slightly different to how you propose as the idea statuses have had a review, future review for instance is now more like the old 'Under Consideration'. Thanks again for the great idea Stephen!
by giffgaff Educator on ‎03-08-2012 22:53
Status changed to: Implemented
This has now been implemented - thanks Stephen!
Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
test poll - ignore me if you find me
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,397 members 667 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: