Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
bertiebat

Idea submission - confirm idea search has been done

by bertiebat ‎12-07-2011 15:22 - edited ‎12-07-2011 22:06

The ideas board is getting clogged up with many duplicates which would/should never have been posted if the poster had simply done a search of ideas on the board.  There a few suggestions on what to do about this that have been turned down so I'm initially

suggesting something very simple and easy to implement.

On the idea's post message screen include an additional box on the right with a simple tick that they agreed to this statement:

'Have you searched for this idea?'.  

Make the acceptance of this statement mandatory in the same way as a Idea Label selection is. 

Below this box should be the ideas search option box, so it makes it easy for the OP to see how.

Something needs to be done, as the boards are too full of ideas including a lot of duplicates (pushing new and original ideas off the radar).

Thanks for reading and I hope you support this idea. :smileyhappy:

Hey folks, this initially got delayed because we wanted to design a consistent member experience across all forums. So if we had a tick box here, you'd need it in other boards. However since we've been trialling merging duplicates, and getting in touch personally with members each time - this has been a great success in both reducing duplicates, educating members and encouraging new members to take part! So we're going to set this idea Not for Us, as things moved in a different direction. Thanks a lot for the great idea, and I hope to see more from you soon.
Comments
by marvel andy0 marvel ‎12-07-2011 21:29 - edited ‎12-07-2011 21:30

yaakov1 wrote:

and they all lead to the same one:smileyvery-happy:

of course, but I thought I'd let that emerge

I didn't anticipate you'd have posted it just before me

by yaakov1 on ‎12-07-2011 21:32

oh

and the funny thing is that this is a duplicate

and the post says The ideas board is getting clogged up with many duplicates

very punny

by jamesd2010 on ‎12-07-2011 22:03

Sorry, but this isn't 'very simple to implement'. Such action would require a bit more coding than you think, but then again, it depends how advance you want to make the process, but it has been mentioned, something needs doing about these duplicates, but I think it needs to be thought out on a much bigger scale.

by bertiebat on ‎12-07-2011 22:05

Quite right and I hang my head in shame :smileysad:  

I prefer to be linked to this one as a duplicate though http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Duplicates/idi-p/766413 as I don't think it's a duplicate of the one it's linked to, but there you go.  :smileytongue:

As a penalty I will refrain from posting any ideas for a while. I will also add the tag duplicate (an obvious search to do in this case).

by jamesd2010 on ‎12-07-2011 22:10

"As a penalty I will refrain from posting any ideas for a while. I will also add the tag duplicate (an obvious search to do in this case)."

No, don't take any penalties or beat yourself up about it, people post duplicates everyday! And they carry on! You had a good idea, and it's not your fault, you searched, just not to a level that found you the result.

by yaakov1 on ‎12-07-2011 22:24

Dont stop posting ideas

If its a good idea, just search key terms before posting, and if you dont get any duplciate results then post it

by bertiebat on ‎12-07-2011 22:54

Thanks I just had a complete blank this time round as it was obvious what I should have searched for and I normally do  Oh well must try harder next time round.

I agree with jamesd2010 that the whole area needs a good overhall and something needs to be done. Personally I liked this previous idea of mine, but it didn't get very far http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/2-stage-ideas-process-screening-for-dup... but at least it's not a duplicate as far as I know.

by giffgaff Educator on ‎27-08-2011 12:22
Status changed to: Under Consideration
Vincent is looking into whether this is possible to implement.
by bertiebat on ‎03-08-2012 21:20
Status changed to: Working On It
The ideas board is up for a revamp very soon and ensuring that new ideas are new and original ideas are supported is high on the agenda. Making sure members search first is a huge part of that and we have plans to make sure that search is utilized.
by giffgaff Educator on ‎25-11-2013 12:48
Status changed to: Not For Us
Hey folks, this initially got delayed because we wanted to design a consistent member experience across all forums. So if we had a tick box here, you'd need it in other boards. However since we've been trialling merging duplicates, and getting in touch personally with members each time - this has been a great success in both reducing duplicates, educating members and encouraging new members to take part! So we're going to set this idea Not for Us, as things moved in a different direction. Thanks a lot for the great idea, and I hope to see more from you soon.
Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
test poll - ignore me if you find me
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,326 members 554 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: