Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
ethani99

by contributor ethani99 contributor on ‎03-08-2011 18:56

hey giffgaffers,

I know alot of members have stated that they forgot their username and I seen an idea which was declined as a duplicate earlier regarding this issue so here's my thought on it.

Can giffgaff enable active members (who already have an active SIM card) to log into their giffgaff accounts by entering their giffgaff mobile number into the username field?

Obviously those who don't have an active SIM card won't have a giffgaff number but at least those members who do have an active SIM will be able to log into theirs and order goodybags etc as well as see their username again. :smileywink:

I'm not sure if this is a viable option for giffgaff to use but it's worth putting out there to see if members think it would be helpful. :smileyvery-happy:

ethani99

Hey folks, we don't want to do this as it might encourage members signing up with their number - which is something we're trying to eradicate - Thanks for the Idea and we look forward to your next one!
Comments
by joolzian on ‎03-08-2011 19:30

Surely this would allow anyone with your number to access your account

by jps123 on ‎03-08-2011 19:31
If this gets set up what will happen when you port a new number to your account? Iv just ported my number in after being here for over 3 months. I like the idea tho
by andreww on ‎03-08-2011 19:35

@joolzian - no I think the proposal is phone number for those members who have forgotten their user name, so there is no greater risk - and in fact less!!

@jps - good point!

by moogl3s on ‎03-08-2011 19:47
@joolzian - I know your username so does that allow me to access your account? I think this is a good idea, it'd make having to implement a forgot username suggestion obsolete at the same time.
by contributor ethani99 contributor on ‎03-08-2011 19:48

@ andreww thanks for the support! :smileyhappy:

@ joolzian no i meant that you would enter your mobile number into the username field and then your password.

@ jps123 your ported number would simply replace your original giffgaff number as it does on your giffgaff account anyway! :smileywink:

by bertiebat ‎03-08-2011 20:33 - edited ‎03-08-2011 20:50

Just read it again and yes it looks like a promising idea except it a little insecure for my liking as it stands. 

by samlowe on ‎03-08-2011 20:38

What a brilliant idea. :smileyvery-happy:
I can see one possible issue!

You use an public computer and auto-fill is enabled, you login to giffgaff and when you type in 0 your mobile number comes up as an auto-fill option!

Otherwise great! :smileyvery-happy: 

by sloz on ‎04-08-2011 07:37
I think a better way and easier/ less expensive to implement would be a box to put your mobile number in and your usename is sent to your email address
by samsams88 on ‎04-08-2011 09:13

whoever said about mobile number enabling acount logon hacking as it were...itd still be pretty difficult!

1) youve gotta know their number

2) youve gotta know their password!

and whats easier to find someones password or to get a login name off of the forums!

by samsams88 on ‎04-08-2011 09:13

oh and kudos to this idea btw :smileywink:

Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
How are you going to spend your payback?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:6,055 members 4,209 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: