Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
kaz

Lower PAYG data pricing

by kaz dabbler on ‎15-04-2010 18:39

I propose that giffgaff look again at the PAYG data pricing - I just can't believe they cannot do better than £2/MB capped to 50p.   Do they really not want PAYG customers?    For starters, I suggest flat fee of 1p/MB.

Hopefully it was all an oversight and Vincent will soon be along to mark this implemented.

We will charge 20p per MB up to a maximum of 50p (which works out at 2.5MB) after which you get up to 30MB for free. Should you go over 30MB, we will then start charging at a rate of 20p per MB. Which means you now get your slow incline of 20p per MB initially, up to a cap of 50p, which gives you up to 30MB, after which the rate returns to 20p per MB.
Comments
by geekonthepc on ‎15-04-2010 18:51

It's not that simple. gg have to make a profit somewhere. 1p/mb is not profitable. I think you're asking too much.

by sausageandbun ‎15-04-2010 19:19 - edited ‎15-04-2010 19:20

Yeah, I think 1p/MB is perhaps too optimistic. After all gg will want to have some sort of incentive for topping up.But it's tricky to get the right balance I guess.

At the minute I think the 50p/day doesn't seem to strike it, and is not as attractive as the standard call and text rates to the typical light PAYG user who likes to know exactly how much they're paying and what for so they can budget themselves and not pay for things they don't use.

by kaz dabbler on ‎15-04-2010 19:36

I realise 1p/MB is rather (very) optimistic - but I had to put something!  I would just like giffgaff to take another look at this and see if they can move the price downwards - at least to pricematch asda

by ragnorak motivator on ‎15-04-2010 19:51

I think the best we can hope for is for giffgaff to price match Asda. It would be logical after all as they did the same with call and text prices. The £2 per MB rate is far from official yet and was probably just mentioned as a guide.

by mirfan cicerone ‎15-04-2010 20:56 - edited ‎15-04-2010 21:02

GiffGaff gives other benefits that Asda does not. Asda pricing exactly is:

1) No 50p per day data cap. All data charged, potentially unlimited data charges, even by mistake!

2) No free giffgaff to giffgaff calls & texts.

3) No paypack points.

I can see that if you are a very low user of data, and would be likely to spend < £10 a month making the bundle not worthwhile, and you also don't make use of the free giffgaff calls, then Asda will look more attractive.

However, if you do benefit from the GiffGaff extras, you do have to consider what they are worth, or what they would cost you to replace on Asda.

by jonmd on ‎15-04-2010 23:34

Even Tesco mobile offfer a 7 day browsing pass for £2.which is better value.  Couple this with their "triple credit" deal when you top up every month and even allowing for the expensive calls (20p/min) things look quite good. If you work for them, they offer better deals still.

by redux cicerone on ‎15-04-2010 23:43

1p per megabyte seems to be much too expensive for the people who want several gigabytes a month and have just been handed it

by kaz dabbler on ‎22-04-2010 22:08

I hope as this is still open, it means Giffgaff are indeed considering lowering the PAYG data price.   I moved to GiffGaff as it claimed to be the UK's cheapest PAYG tariff: back then it was, as data was free, if gg price match Asda on data, and retain the cap, they will remain the cheapest operator.

Obviously the rewards and gg-gg calls make it better still and the unquestionable big bonus is: giffgaff is cooler than ASDA.  So, price match ASDA and gg wins hands down.

by hg ‎22-04-2010 22:24 - edited ‎22-04-2010 22:26

Some of us think giffgaff is already the best deal, hands down  :smileyindifferent:

hg

by peeter ‎22-04-2010 22:26 - edited ‎22-04-2010 22:27

This isn't still open. The published prices for data take effect as soon as the free data ends on 25th May.

The only thing still being considered is how much users will get charged for data if they exceed the 100MB daily limit on the 50p max daily tariff.

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
How much would you pay to unlock a phone?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,826 members 666 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: