Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
mwhapples

Make giffgaff website accessible to the blind: Mobile site as accessible option

by mwhapples ‎19-03-2012 18:56 - edited ‎21-03-2012 10:04

I know accessibility of giffgaff's website has been raised before, however this idea differs from those as it intends to try and make an accessible option available quicker as it uses some existing stuff. Also it differs from just saying, something needs improving but rather makes specific suggestions of what could be done.

On recently joining giffgaff, I was appalled at how inaccessible the process was to me as a blind person relying on a screen reader to access the computer, the process is impossible for me to complete independently. Its so bad as an experience that I nearly decided to not bother in activating the SIM on principle and find another provider who may be more welcoming to a disabled person even if their rates are higher than giffgaff. I will review the situation again when my credit runs down, depending on if action is taken to improve things or if the quality of service is something special or just a mediocre service. Back to the suggestion as something needs to be done.

The main areas of issue in activating for me as a blind person was getting the six digit code read from the card and more concerningly the page for selecting top up amount. The six digit code I have ideas for but will need to consider them more fully and is sort of foreseeable anyway. This suggestion deals with the top up page issue as giffgaff actually has the technology available to make this accessible, they just haven't joined up the dots. Also it would make future top ups accessible in the future and needs even fewer dots joining up.

The solution: The accessibility problems lie in the main giffgaff website, it simply is not possible to use the keyboard to select a top up amount using the keyboard. However once one has an active SIM then one can use the mobile giffgaff website (www.giffgaff.com/mobile ) to top up by card payment and the mobile version is accessible to screen reader users, like me. My suggestion has two parts:

• giffgaff should have a link on the main website for accessibility which takes the user to a page describing ways in which giffgaff's website can be made more accessible, or may be it could just be a link named "Accessible/mobile version" which just takes one to the mobile version of the website. Such a link may be found in the footer of every page. This part of the suggestion would make it easier for those using screen readers to find a more accessible version.

• The second part of the suggestion requires more work. Unfortunately the mobile website does not actually have the feature for activating the SIM, so the suggestion is either the mobile website is extended to support SIM activation or as its just the top up part of the activation process (as far as the website technology goes) the user can opt to see the mobile version for that step if they use a screen reader.

The first option for extending the features of the mobile site certinly would require some work, not so sure on the second option of making the mobile site a option for just the top up stage (IE. whether things would need tracking through that step which the mobile site currently cannot track).

Update 11/12/2012: Improving the accessibility of our website is something that we are working on constantly and since this Idea was posted there have already been further improvements, with more to come in the future.
Comments
by trudiw on ‎19-03-2012 19:04
I can't comment on the feasibility of your suggestion as I don't understand the process but I certainly support it, it's time all companies did more to comply with the DDA
by solid247 on ‎19-03-2012 19:34
Extremely well explained idea there is a thread relating to the exact problem on the best way forward in contribute which will lead to a fully fleged idea if u wish to contribute and add your valued opinion >>> http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute-Innovation-Promotion/Attention-All-Blind-and-Visually-Im...
by mwhapples on ‎19-03-2012 19:59
Thanks to solid247 for the link, put some comments there.
by solid247 on ‎19-03-2012 22:01
Thats good to hear , i hope u get a better service using that :smileyhappy:
by rochessel on ‎20-03-2012 03:16
This is a really wonderful idea and gg should implement quick!! Would love to hear your ideas for the activation code too .. Only one idea for that pops in my mind. Gg loves to be seen as the caring network that includes and welcomes everyone to the forum so they should get it up and running soon!!
by othalian on ‎20-03-2012 06:26

For someone who wants Giffgaff to be more appealing to those with limited sight you don't make your post very user friendly for those of use fortunate to have pretty good sight. I gave up after the third line.

Can I suggest you add at least some paragraphs to make it easier on the eyes and slighty larger text if you are worried about the reader experience. That would then help the majority of users with those types of problems.

by pinkstargem on ‎20-03-2012 06:42
@othalian even if you put in paragraphs using mobile phones and dome other devices they dont show when the post is posted, and she's clearly stated that she can't use the desktop version as its inaccessible to her! I managed to read it fine.
by mwhapples on ‎20-03-2012 08:21

@othalian Thanks for pointing out the paragraph issue, may be a slight oversight on my side. However as I cannot see and rely on screenreader software I cannot make any judgment on what font is readable and your post didn't help either in making a decision on font. I simply figure with font, as most web browsers allow some configuration of fonts and such used then it is most polite to just go with the default and let readers choose the font in the browser.

by styly on ‎20-03-2012 08:30
Crazy how we take so much for granted.. Absolutely no idea how it could be done, but its obvious, if it CAN be done, it SHOULD be done.. That £10k would've probably covered it too.. ..another accidental 7hrs out giffgaff??? :smileywink: haha Kudos given :smileyhappy:
by vorb on ‎20-03-2012 12:47

Kudo'd for the thread title.  Didn't persevere with reading the block of text.  Sorry! :smileyembarrassed:

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:5,877 members 4,718 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: