Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
brradley

Opt-in to recieve text adverts, to earn points/credit!

by brradley on ‎12-07-2010 17:19

It would be great if advertisers could partner with giffgaff to send opted-in customers, txt adverts, as a form of another way of making money.

Some of this money could be then converted into points for payback, or credited as credit automatically!

Please press the UP/Kudos button if you like the idea! :smileyhappy:

giffgaff is all about keeping it simple. Adding services like this cost a lot of money to implement and maintain (extra staff, support, sales teams, database changes etc). With experience with simliar concepts (Claire used to work for Blyk) - it doesn't fit with the giffgaff model right now
Comments
by counsellor danielclo1il on ‎12-07-2010 17:23

this has already been tried on Blyk....

and failed :smileytongue:

by jack17938 on ‎12-07-2010 17:26

That would be very annoying....

by brradley on ‎12-07-2010 17:29

Daniel, because their network was entirely funded by those advertising costs.

Jack, not if it was an opt-in service, you could choose to turn it on/off.

by ibiza on ‎12-07-2010 17:45

Blyk tried this, and closed down at the end of last summer.  Although it was almost their entire pricing structure.

The only thing they had in their favour was a fivers top up got you a silly number of texts, and the top up could be used for international texts, which were amongst the best pricing at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blyk

However, it looks like they have relaunched on mainland EU now, so there is clearly some merit in the idea,

by rstevenson on ‎12-07-2010 18:48

This would be annoying the balance pop ups annoy me now imagine if this was implemented. 

by syorksdeano on ‎12-07-2010 18:53

I don't like the idea, and it could cause all sorts of problems

by brradley on ‎12-07-2010 18:57

NOT IF IT WAS OPT-IN! :smileyhappy:

by marvel andy0 marvel ‎12-07-2010 21:24 - edited ‎12-07-2010 21:25

not many people would opt in, even some that said they did would avoid reading the ads, the network would not be able to produce reliable audience figures to attract advertisers, costs could easily outweigh revenue, all with predictable results ...

by craig1970 on ‎13-07-2010 00:39

Bad Idea 

by anthonydclark on ‎13-07-2010 02:55
I THINK ITS GOOD IF CONTROLLED. if customers opt in they would get free texts for instance totally which is funded by the marketing texts. Mcdonalds for instance could be a sponsor and direct there services to customer who opt in knowing they are getting a direct advert to customer. they could flog sims in there stores too. this would be opt in option. blyt actually still operates in netherlands and reason they closed uk side was due to operational reasons. in practice if good sponsors are on board there should not be am issue over cost as sponsor pays. even if its for free texts. texts costs networks fractions of a penny to send.
Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
test poll - ignore me if you find me
How much would you pay to unlock a phone?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:5,316 members 2,050 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: