Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
bertiebat

Strike through option on text

by bertiebat ‎19-04-2012 15:36 - edited ‎19-04-2012 15:57

Not the biggest of ideas but a needed one I feel. There used to be a strike through option on text which seems to have disappeared a while ago and subsequent lithium releases don't seem to have corrected this (so it doesn't seem to be a bug as such).

Problem

When you have made a mistake in a reply and want to correct it so as not to cause confusion, the only options now are to delete the reply or change it (which can be misinterpreted as trying to cover up a mistake).

Solution

The strike through option is a useful way to show the previous answer has been corrected and allow the correct information to be given.   It should be easy to get it back as it used to be an option.

Example:

You get 350 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag

Edited to this:

You get 350 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag

Correction: that's 250 inclusive mins on the £10 goodybag.

PS.  I had to use HTML to get the strike through on this (all credit to stephenmiller on showing me how :smileyhappy:)

As As7861 has said, this has now been implemented :smileyhappy:
Comments
by seer philiplittle40 on ‎19-04-2012 16:22

I have really missed this functionality and wholeheartedly support this idea. Often want to edit a post for spelling errors etc but would like to leave original text so others can see I am not gaming the system (posting short answer and then filling in the info later)

by rlproper on ‎20-04-2012 08:28
Thank you for educating me. I am on the mobile forum though and can't see an option to change to HTML input.
by rlproper on ‎20-04-2012 08:29
I only intended for the first part of that to be struck through. I have more learning yet to do!
by megadieftw on ‎20-04-2012 10:48

Sounds awesome, good to hear we should be getting this back soon! Afterall forum etiquete is very important! :smileytongue:

by marvel andy0 marvel on ‎20-04-2012 12:31

rjproper wrote:

I only intended for the first part of that to be struck through. I have more learning yet to do!

a
You can't (or I can't) switch it off. You need to first type something in plain, and then left cursor back past it to the point of insertion.

I'm used to that because I also have to do that for quotes and copy and paste in the Opera browser on the PC. If anyone ever spots an extra letter after a quote I've put in one of my posts, like the a I've left here on purpose as an example, that will be because I forgotten to delete it again 

by jlee on ‎20-04-2012 17:02

Kudos - of course doing the HTML takes more time, it would be quite handy

by think_of_tomoro on ‎20-04-2012 17:02

Good idea!

You can get strike through to work in the comment box when adding the HTML code: <s> and </s> before and afte any text in the "HTML" section but when you go to post it, it comes up with the following:

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

And then the code is removed as well as the strike though.

I reckon this should be quick easy to implent as it only requires certain HTML code being xcepted or button added.

by stephenmiller ‎20-04-2012 22:34 - edited ‎20-04-2012 22:36

test

cool that works :smileyhappy:

@think of tommorow I tried the <s> </s> tags initially but got the error, Oslingbys <strike> tags work though but there really should be an easier way.

by nuttymoo on ‎29-04-2012 14:25

Yeh I miss the strikethrough button!

In the meantime, maybe we could use the asterisk (*) when we go back to edit our replies.

Eg.  You get 350* minutes in the £10 goodybag

*edit: you actually get 250 minutes

:smileyhappy:

by kieronoddie ‎12-05-2012 12:30 - edited ‎12-05-2012 12:31

dint know it worked on sites,

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online