Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
powderedtoastman

Synonym Database

by powderedtoastman on ‎23-04-2012 17:00

In this ideas board, we seem to have a lot of problems with duplicates. As has been discussed in duplicate threads. Sigh. They've discussed and rejected all sorts of ideas about enforcing searching, and being able to give negative kudos.

My idea is trying to deal with a smaller group of duplicate creators: those who search and find nothing like their idea, but it is then later marked as a duplicate, just because they haven't searched for the right words. I propose that when a user searches for an idea like theirs, that not only should the board be searched for those terms, but for synonyms of those terms. For example, "phones" would also search for "mobiles".

Obviously, I'm not expecting GG staff to enter every synonym into the workings of the search box. Instead, this could be another element open to the community, for us to add in synonyms that we find are missing. Not sure how that would work into payback points, but I'm sure that can be considered later.

Another thing I'm not sure on is how easy or cheap this would be to implement! However, the idea still stands, and kudos if you like it :smileyhappy:

-PTM

Comments
by bertiebat ‎23-04-2012 17:44 - edited ‎23-04-2012 18:08

Nice idea but the searching does seem to be more sophisticated than a simple search when I've used it (it seems that some sort of synonym checking does seem to be included).  

You can see this for yourself if you use the word 'Synonym' in the search and it will return a few relevant ideas that don't even contain that word in the title but are used in the comments.

As a duplicator I tend to add tags when the orginal idea has been difficult to find which serves the same purpose.  I also do this to some ideas that have titles that aren't very related to the idea. So in some ways this is already being done. :smileyhappy:

by clearbluesky on ‎23-04-2012 18:54

bertiebat wrote:

Nice idea but the searching does seem to be more sophisticated than a simple search when I've used it (it seems that some sort of synonym checking does seem to be included).  

You can see this for yourself if you use the word 'Synonym' in the search and it will return a few relevant ideas that don't even contain that word in the title but are used in the comments.

Thats because the search looks through the comments too not just the titles.

by stephenmiller on ‎24-04-2012 13:01

It'd depend on the Lithium software but this'd be useful accross the whole site, I know some filtering goes on with the search but I don't think synonyns is one.

by marvel andy0 marvel on ‎24-04-2012 18:59

the search has a small amount of adaptabiity

it seems to disregard things like word endings and equates some of them as the same

thus the words search and searches and searching would probably all be equivalent 

but that's probably fairly easy to program, by looking at just the first few letters of a word 

having all kinds of look-up tables of synonyms would probably slow things down a lot, and I can imagine the indexing system struggling to keep up to date 

have you tried asking Microsoft to do this, for searching your PC or even just your email program? 

by powderedtoastman on ‎25-04-2012 14:47

@andy0 No, but Microsoft don't complain when I create duplicate files :smileytongue:

by bertiebat on ‎27-04-2012 21:26

Actually this would be more useful than having to tag everything so if it is possible to do (and it does appear the some giffgaff staff are supporting this) so kudos to you. :smileyhappy:

by stephenmiller on ‎03-08-2012 22:33
Status changed to: Idea Vault
The members have spoken and unfortunately this isn't what they're looking for right now. We love ideas so don't be disheartened, try again - we look forward to it! - http://giff.ly/fromggtoyou
by giffgaff Educator on ‎09-01-2014 12:16
Status changed to: Idea Vault

Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
test poll - ignore me if you find me
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,490 members 815 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: