Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
oslingsby

Tethering

by oslingsby virtuoso ‎15-02-2012 07:06 - edited ‎15-02-2012 07:08

Idea

Hi everyone, if your a regular poster here you will know about one our of every 15 questions (rough guess) is "setup Tethering" or "I'v been banned" or some other question relating to tethering using goodybags.

While we all know this isnt allowed unless your on a gigabag giffgaff is already starting to get some bad press about being banned with unlimited isnt unlimited simply because they haven't read the terms and conditions or the goodybag information etc.

So my solution.

Internet via giffgaff goes through a APN (Access Point Name) = giffgaff.com

So if we can get giffgaff to create a second APN maybe something like = tethering

We can charge access via this new APN at standard rates regardless if the user has a goodybag or not,

allowing for tethering use while having a active goodybag hence not limiting the customer to one service at a time or forcing them to use another device.

I think this should definately be technically possible and should solve the 'Not allowed" constantly being conveyed to goodybag customers.

Kudos the Idea if you like it and giffgaff may look at it :smileytongue:

Hey folks, after being requested to review this Idea, I had a chat with our Business Intelligence team who agree we can't offer this Idea exactly how it's described, here's the skinny, "This would require changes to both our billing platforms and our tethering platform. As these two are separate it would be a very complex task to set this up. This the same reason why we can't currently offer 1 GB tetherable on unlimited or similar. This might also cause a lot of confusion when for instance unlimited goodybag members start burning through their credit because they've forgotten to switch APNs." Kind regards, Hazel.
Comments
by ajh94 ‎15-02-2012 07:16 - edited ‎15-02-2012 07:16

Good idea! That's what Orange does, 2 APNs. (Orange internet & consumer broadband) :smileyhappy:

by goonerrick on ‎15-02-2012 07:44
Good idea. Would give those tethering less excuse as they have a legal alternative and get rid of the hassle of gettinga second SIM. I use WiFi at home, with a pc connected direct to the router. My home phone is out of order at the moment and this would also enable me to tether my pc/laptop for a couple of days until its fixed. I do think some of those getting banned aren't as innocent as they make out. If they're using vast amounts of data it is likely that they are computer literate and know exactly what they're doing. Rick.
by inspiron42 on ‎15-02-2012 08:08
It does sound a good solution for those that have to tether in an emergency, but a seperate SIM and dongle is the only long term option. At least usage should not be excessive, if they are paying as they go. I agree about those getting banned. How do you use vast amounts of data without knowing you are doing it?
by ajh94 on ‎15-02-2012 08:13

How would this work? Tethering on top of unlimited data? SO say unlimited data as normal but tethering charged at a set rate of like 20p/mb or something? or maybe 200mb of tethering for example?

how would u work it?

by oslingsby virtuoso on ‎15-02-2012 08:17

Original Idea was keep the unlimited via via goodybag on mobile as standard giffgaff.com APN

and set another APN for tethering use only at standard rates, not great for heavy use but allow for smaller usage while having active goodybag.

by ummur101 on ‎15-02-2012 13:02

this should get considered

by doktormandrake on ‎15-02-2012 17:28

What would save hassle is if people read the terms and conditions. Having two APNs is great, but perhaps people are either ignorant of the lack of tethering and so they then feel aggreived when they are caught out, or they know about Giffgaff's anti-tethering policy but chose to ignore it and then cry blue murder when their internet is switched off after they have been contravening Giffgaff's T&Cs rnsing it up on Call of Duty, downlaoding movies or whatever to their PCs.

Interesting idea, though, but is it practical and would it solve the problem?

by harris_data on ‎15-02-2012 17:37

unsure if it is technically possible to link the sim card accessing via a particular APN directly to their credit account.

If it is technically possible with current databases then I think giffgaff should consider this idea.

by liamwli on ‎16-02-2012 15:51

I definately agree with this idea. It would be so much easier this way :smileyhappy:

by drlatheef on ‎16-02-2012 15:53

Slick idea. Hope this gets the go ahead :smileyhappy:

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
test poll - ignore me if you find me
How much would you pay to unlock a phone?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:3,634 members 541 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: