Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
aks782

Texts and data for £5/month

by aks782 ‎15-04-2010 00:44 - edited ‎15-04-2010 23:02

I propose another bundle [which i know will make things a little complicated], if you agree I urge you to Kudos the idea to express your view:smileyhappy:

£5/Month =  texts [limited to 500]  +  data  [limited to 150MB-200MB] 

GG your bundle announcement has deeply upset me today. I am a person who moderately texts, and due to your free data until 25 May have become an addict to email on the go. Reading through 9 pages of comments on your announcement page I believe there are some people who would also like this idea. I know some people are laughing at me now, saying just go for the £10/month deal you stingy **censorship required** , but you see I am a student who sadly cannot afford such luxuries in life:smileysad::smileysad::smileysad:

new addition: looking at some more threads this morning, some people what a light package like the one above but with calls as well. The reason why i havent included calls because we would only likely to get around 20-50 mins, which is useless:/ 

Hi all, it is simply not posiible for us to offer a £5 (or lower) internet bundle as it would cost us more than the initial £5 we'd get from you. Data is still really quite expensive to the networks, as it is something that is still being heavily invested in (the networks themselves) which pushing the price itself up. Because of this cost, and the added texts within this proposed bundle, it makes this idea unsuitable.
Comments
by counsellor bigfatbball2 counsellor on ‎15-04-2010 01:06

well I guess having an additional 2 bundles who definitely be a good idea - personally the 10£ bundle is perfect

but I think a middle step between the 15£ and 35£ bundles is needed - someting like 20£ - 500mins unlimited data and texts or 25£ - 700mins unlimited data and texts - I can see why it's not already the case - basically 250x8p=20£ so as soon as you use 550mins it gets cheaper to go for the unlimited deal - the take up wouldn't be as big if there was more intermediary packages

and a 3£ data bundle of 20 or 50MB for low but regular users of mobile data would only be fair since they pay 15£ for an amount of data that other users would pay 50p

by marvel andy0 marvel ‎15-04-2010 01:17 - edited ‎15-04-2010 01:20

actually, compared to the unlimited texts and internet on the other bundles, I'd say the OP's idea looks a bit overpriced

by hg ‎15-04-2010 02:07 - edited ‎15-04-2010 02:08

Interesting, although I have a slightly different view on all this. 

I keep reading about data and MMS and people being light users.  Wifey and I don't use data, at all, and wifey still thinks MMS are brightly coloured li'l sweeties even.  I can't imagine much lighter users than us.  Well, me anyway.

I would have liked to see something in there which helped those old fogies like me who just use the phone for talking, and messaging now that we worked out hw 2 txt spk.

We have two 'phones.  I occasionally text.  Wifey texts to live.  On top of that, although I don't mind too much when she gets cross and talks to the kids instead of me, I worry a bit when I see it costing me 8p per minute, LOL. (I know, I know ..... fall out with the wife less, yeah yeah yeah :-)

Seriously though, I am reserving judgement for now until I see how our useage patterns go.  I like the low cost-per-minute when I do have to pay, and I like very much that I can have that without an eighteen month contract and no parole.  The fact that we can buy a "goodybag" or not, on a monthly basis, is a brilliant tiouch of flexibility as well.

giffgaff were never going to be able to please everybody at the same time but (apart from the old fogey omission), I think they made a pretty commendable stab at it.

I reserve the right to change my mind if my wife says to, obviously :-)

hg

by shaunl on ‎15-04-2010 07:04

aks782 wrote:

I propose another bundle [which i know will make things a little complicated], if you agree I urge you to Kudos the idea

£5/Month =  texts [limited to 500]  +  data  [limited to 150MB] 

I'd also love to see a £5 per month data tariff as this is what I'm currently paying on 3UK now. That way a £10 top-up would give a certain amount of data, plus £5 left for x-network calls & texts (as well as free gg-gg calls/texts).

Only point I'd make about the OP's suggestion of 150MB is that it isn't really enough, as £5 on 3UK buys 2GB/month. In reality, I only use around 300MB/month - mainly email, twitter, news, facebook, google maps occasionally.

by mirfan cicerone on ‎16-04-2010 13:52

How do call costs, free giffgaff calls, etc compare to the prices on 3? Also are call 8p & texts 4p on 3 payg?

It's not really a surprise that people want the bests bits from all the different tariffs, with none of the costs! But you have to balance this with what is sustainable for a business to provide. 

Ultimately, giffgaff is not a charity and needs to be commercially viable.  So people do need to be realistic on their requirements, otherwise they will be disappointed.

by shaunl on ‎16-04-2010 18:17

mirfan wrote:

How do call costs, free giffgaff calls, etc compare to the prices on 3? Also are call 8p & texts 4p on 3 payg?

It's not really a surprise that people want the bests bits from all the different tariffs, with none of the costs! But you have to balance this with what is sustainable for a business to provide. 

Ultimately, giffgaff is not a charity and needs to be commercially viable.  So people do need to be realistic on their requirements, otherwise they will be disappointed.

I agree, call prices, texts, voicemail on giff-gaff are cheaper than 3UK.
However, for the type of data requirements that a lot of other people have mentioned in the forums here - i.e. low-volume data, 3UK still wins hands-down. The £5 data bundle would have addressed that.
No-one expects gg to be run like a charity, but at the same time there's no point switching to gg if it would ultimately cost more for the same usage pattern!

by paul_shirley on ‎16-04-2010 18:37

shauni:I agree, call prices, texts, voicemail on giff-gaff are cheaper than 3UK.

As gg staff are fond of saying, you have to consider the whole package. The class of users we're talking about will never run out of free texts on "3", leaving just the extortionate voice+voicemail rates. Looking at my call logs that will make surprisingly little difference to my voice+text spend compared to gifffgaff.

And contrary to the comments here: I'm not looking for a free ride, my position is unchanged from the start of the pricing discussion months ago. I want to pay a fair price for what I use, covering voice,sms and data. gg have made PAYG data unattractive to me and have not yet offered a tempting alternative.

by counsellor bigfatbball2 counsellor on ‎16-04-2010 18:55
by aks782 ‎16-04-2010 20:15 - edited ‎16-04-2010 20:27

Hi, sadly ive only got 7 people who agree with my point, quite disappointing :smileysad:

Can i ask fellow light-weight users to state the amount of data, texts and calls they use. I think this would be useful for me to maybe change the bundle idea above and also for the people at GG 2 understand, that's if they're interested loool

For me;   80MB, 300 texts, 0 mins

by ragnorak motivator on ‎17-04-2010 17:38

The only network that really gives light data users a cheaper deal is 3 with its 150MB free. But as others have rightly pointed out, their standard call and text charges are significantly more expensive. Therefore, I think the fairest solution would be to have a goodybag that gives you exactly what you'd get with £5 on that network, albeit on a 30-day basis.

This would mean 150MB, 20 minutes, and 25 texts for £5 a month. The 20 minutes is based on the £5 credit you'd have on 3 being divided by their new rate of 25p per minute, though if giffgaff wanted to be generous they could make it 25 minutes by basing it on 3's old rate of 20p per minute.

One way of looking at it is that you'd be getting 150MB and 25 texts free by agreeing to pay 3's call rate for your first 20 or 25 minutes of calls each month. Another way is that you'd be buying a bundle that gives you rates of 2p-10p per MB depending on how much of your overall goodybag allowance you use (assuming you'd use at least 50MB).

Announcements

Join us for Call of Duty

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
test poll - ignore me if you find me
How much would you pay to unlock a phone?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:4,303 members 1,008 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: