Submit: Great giffgaff Ideas

Looking for something?
jamie

giffgaff free skype!

by jamie on ‎18-05-2010 17:55

Hello ,

I beleave it would be a great idear if giffgaff could add skype some where along the lines . Abit like 3 have got ? It would be a great thing and it could bring more people over to giffgaff from 3.

( i mean free skype , not pay for skype like skype alredy offer.)

Comments
by marvel andy0 marvel ‎18-05-2010 19:16 - edited ‎18-05-2010 19:18

but there are already contracts between 3 and Skype, which might preclude arrangements with other companies

in any case, some people would speculate that Skype gets more from it than 3 does

by geekonthepc on ‎18-05-2010 19:44

Yeah to be honest @andy0 I would think it's more of a no win system. You can't make any PSTN calls on 3's Skype service (only free calls) so Skype doesn't really make much money.

by jonmd on ‎19-05-2010 01:12

Can't personally see much benefit to this. None of my contacts are currently on skype and it is no benefit to Giffgaff, likely to deprive them of revenue for calls.

by jonc on ‎19-05-2010 01:53

In my experience the "free" Skype on 3 is pretty much unusable as the sound quality is dreadful. One of the benefits of Skype on a PC is how much clearer the calls are.

Jonathan

by vincent on ‎27-05-2010 10:10
Status changed to: Under Consideration
Skype on 3 is reliant on the handsets, which is something we can't do for obvious reasons. We are looking at other ways to implement this in the future however.
by syorksdeano on ‎04-07-2010 22:35

You could always download the app.  I have a Nokia 5800 and use Skype on Giffgaff.  Yoy get the same options that you would have got anyway on 3

by paul_shirley on ‎04-07-2010 23:21

...since this thread has sprung back to life...

@andy0: some people would speculate that Skype gets more from it than 3 does

A week or so back "3" reported doing extremely well from Skype and although the details are open to interpretation industry commentators seem to agree. It looks like they've sucked in a lot of users who want Skype and those users are, as claimed from the start, more profitable - they make more calls overall.

Looks like "3" are doing very nicely from it, probably better than Skype are, though Skype are also happy with the deal so far. Comment from Skype strongly suggests they simply won't sign up with companies like giffgaff, they need more brand support than gg can offer and they're being very selective about how many networks they'll work with in each territory. "3" already have the UK market.

I think there's little to no chance of any official tie in to Skype from giffgaff. Gating into Skype via a 3rd parties SIP-Skype gateway is probably the only option.

by giffgaff Educator on ‎06-05-2012 21:46
Status changed to: Under Consideration
Hi Jamie, this idea is still under future review, but I'll keep you posted when it hits our roadmap!
by marvel andy0 marvel ‎06-05-2012 22:06 - edited ‎06-05-2012 22:09

Whilst giffgaff might be able to do something with other providers, which has been mentioned on other threads, I wouldn't foresee it with Skype

However, although posts above indicate that both 3 and Skype seem to be happy, it is a potential loophole, which enables some people to have free use of a mobile platform without either of them making any money, and pay a separate provider for calls at much lower tariffs than either of theirs, even free, using a fraction of a penny worth of data per call.

by mary_r_t on ‎03-08-2012 22:02
Status changed to: Idea Vault
The members have spoken and unfortunately this isn't what they're looking for right now. We love ideas so don't be disheartened, try again - we look forward to it! - http://giff.ly/fromggtoyou
Announcements

Labels
Idea Statuses
Weekly Poll
How will you be spending Easter?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:1,445 members 3,764 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: