Tips & Advice

soothsayer
djbonner07

Dongle Settings

[ Edited ]

The Dongle Installation

Step 1
Plug in the dongle. All you need is a spare USB port. If you've not got one then you'll either have to use a USB hub (make sure it's powered) or unplug something else. The extension cable included with your dongle is handy as it means you don't have to worry about the dongle not fitting in next to another device, and you can easily run it down to the back of a desktop tower. It's also useful for boosting the signal.

Step 2
Wait a few moments and Windows should detect the dongle and start popping up its usual “Found New Hardware” messages. If Windows shows its standard dialog asking you to install drivers, just click Cancel.

Step 3
Your dongle should autorun its installation software, if not, and assuming Windows has successfully detected the dongle, you'll need to run it manually, so open up My Computer (or Computer if you're on Vista and Win 7) and open the dongle, which will be listed as a drive.

There will be a few files in there, probably including some kind of setup.exe and an autorun.exe file. Either of these will start the process.

You may have separate installers for 64-bit Windows, so make sure you run the right one for your version.

Step 4
You'll now see a standard step by step installer screen. Just keep clicking Next until it starts copying files and wait for the process to complete. Along the way you can choose where to install the software, but unless you need it placed on a specific hard disk just leave it on the default settings.

Step 5
That's it. Run the software package installed by the previous steps and you can connect and begin browsing.

Step 6
Okay, that might not quite be it. You may have a software update to install. If a window pops up that looks like the one pictured here then it's a good idea to install the update as soon as you can to ensure you're getting the best service possible.

Once Sorted ( see below )

Dongle Settings

1,Click On Tools

2,Then Click On Options

3,Once Youve Clicked On Options

• Click on Profile Management Tab
  • Click New Profile
  • Profile Name = giffgaff
  • Apn = Click on (Static) Then enter the apn = giffgaff.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authentication

• Access Number *99#

• UserName = giffgaff

• Password = password   Leave this Blank

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advance Tab

• ip settings = Dynamic

• Authentication protocol settings = CHAP

• DNS Settings = Dynamic

• WINS Settings = Dynamic

1, ( i didnt have to put anything in either of these it setted the ip/protocol/dns/wins settings without putting anything in )  

2, ( I didnt need to put a ip as it did it automatic for me so if you need it here itis )

Connection Name: giffgaff - GPRS
APN - Access Point Name: giffgaff.com
Proxy Server Address: 193.113.200.195
Proxy Port: 8080
Login - Username: giffgaff
Password: password ( Just type the word password )  Leave this Blank

(Final) Set giffgaff as your default connection

If you still have problems with other dongles etc then i suggest checking out the replies as theres some other possible solutions

Off Topics

Logging in/Other Browser Issues http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Logging-in-Other-Browser-Issues/m-p/3964167

Blackberry Guide:http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/NEWBIE-BLACKBERRY-USERS/m-p/1533181
Internet Settings /MMS/ Tips/ Info/ Apps / Guides: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Newbie-Quick-Internet-Guide/m-p/2066679

My Goodybag Guide: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Newbies-Guide-To-Goodybags/m-p/1514773

Get a free giffgaff Sim
greenman
Topics: 124
Kudos: 734
Best Answers: 295

Re: Dongle Settings

Just edit and pop in dongle name.
beginner
clivepeters

Hello - I was looking at dongle settings posted - does this mean that Giff Gaff does not operate on 3g?

Connection Name: giffgaff - GPRS

APN - Access Point Name: giffgaff.com

Proxy Server Address: 193.113.200.195 Proxy Port: 8080

Login - Username: giffgaff Password: password

chaperon
gypsy

thank you very much may come in handy later on to know that.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
darrenpainter
Kudos: 13,165
Best Answers: 3,962

[ Edited ]

clivepeters wrote:

Hello - I was looking at dongle settings posted - does this mean that Giff Gaff does not operate on 3g?

giffgaff do operate on GPRS, EDGE, 3G and HSDPA, the settings are the same regardless of the speed of connection

professor
sheddi

Mind if I post a cross-link?

No, I thought you wouldn't mind  :smileywink:

How to giffgaff a T-Mobile USB Stick 120 (ZTE MF626)

Cheers!

Giffgaff's company motto: Communication is our business, not our strong point.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
To order a SIM from me (go on, you know you want to), click here: Get a free Giffgaff Sim
head honcho
pitney

were can i get my dongle unlocked ?
metaltype
Topics: 10
Kudos: 48
Best Answers: 3

This all sounds very useful.

Very soon I'm going to bite the bullet and get a separate SIM to use in the dongle that I think I've unlocked from "3" to use on my netbook, that has an Ubuntu Linux OS.

I am anticipating a problem or two, but I'm sure that none of the problems will be beyond the capabilities of the community members here.

NORTHRAIL UK Rail Industry News and Jobs

Like this banner? Click here to get the code
pathfinder
adsb

metaltype wrote:

This all sounds very useful.

Very soon I'm going to bite the bullet and get a separate SIM to use in the dongle that I think I've unlocked from "3" to use on my netbook, that has an Ubuntu Linux OS.

I am anticipating a problem or two, but I'm sure that none of the problems will be beyond the capabilities of the community members here.

Should be a piece of cake, writing as someone who's used their ex-3 dongle on Ubuntu and Debian machines.

tipster
bubieyehyeh

[ Edited ]

Is it possible to unlock a ex-3 dongle from a linux PC? since I don't have access to a windows pc and all the unlock instructions I've seen need to run some windows executable.