Tips & Advice

contributor
ethani99

HOW TO ACTIVATE A GIFFGAFF SIM GUIDE (STEP BY STEP)

[ Edited ]

Hi giffgaffers,

I'd been asked by a friend to show him how he can simply activate the friend pack I got for him. He was having trouble and it looks like something that isn't just as easy to navigate, especially when your completely new to the giffgaff website. I did out this little guide for him and he was up and running in under 5 minutes so he thought I should share it with the rest of the community too. :smileyhappy:

Anyways this simple step by step guide should help anyone who's currently finding it a little confusing to get activated! :smileytongue:

What to do if you want to order a SIM and activate it:

1. Log into the giffgaff website.

2. Click on this link: https://giffgaff.com/orders/sim

3. Select the following option: Order a free SIM and top-up now.

4. Click on Continue to order a SIM.

5. Enter all the personal details in the relevant fields.

6. Click on Continue to Top Up.

7. Enter all top up options in the relevant fields and tick the Read T&C's box. (Minimum £10)

8. Click on Continue to Payment.

9. Enter your Payment Method Details in the relevant fields and tick the Save my Card Details (if you wish)

10. Click on Confirm Order.

11. If prompted enter details for Verified by Visa or similar.

12. Your account will now be credited with the Top Up amount you requested.

13. Click on this link: https://giffgaff.com/activate-sim

14. Enter your 6 digit Activation Code in CAPITALS with no O's or 0's.

15. You will now have successfully activated your shiny new giffgaff SIM card.

What to do if you want to activate a SIM given to you by a friend:

1. Click on this link: https://giffgaff.com/activate-sim

2. Enter your 6 digit Activation Code in CAPITALS with no O's or 0's.

3. Enter all the personal details in the relevant fields.

4. Click on Continue to Top Up.

5. Enter all top up options in the relevant fields and tick the Read T&C's box. (Minimum £10)

6. Click on Continue to Payment.

7. Enter your Payment Method Details in the relevant fields and tick the Save my Card Details (if you wish)

8. Click on Confirm Order.

9. If prompted enter details for Verified by Visa or similar.

10. Your account will now be credited with the Top Up amount you requested.

11. You will now have successfully activated your shiny new giffgaff SIM card.

Don't forget to show a little Kudos appreciation if you find this guide helpful. :smileywink:

Cheers,

Ethani99. :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Kudos: it's a giff and gaff thing so click the star peeps! :smileytongue: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
aspirant
daveysludge

Re: HOW TO ACTIVATE A GIFFGAFF SIM GUIDE (STEP BY STEP)

These instructions should be printed on the inside of the sim card envelope!

micro Simmicro Simmicro Sim
aspirant
daveysludge

In fact on second thoughts this only applies to the people ordering the sims for themselves not referrals!

But something similar should be printed on the envelopes!

former giff-staffer
vincent

Hi ethani99,

This information is not correct. What you are asking your friend, who's already got a friend pack, to do, is order another SIM card.

Surely the steps he should be following, as he's already got a SIM in his hands, are:

1. Click on this link: https://giffgaff.com/activate-sim

2. Enter your 6 digit Activation Code in CAPITALS with no O's or 0's.

3. Enter all the personal details in the relevant fields.

4. Click on Continue to Top Up.

5. Enter all top up options in the relevant fields and tick the Read T&C's box. (Minimum £10)

6. Click on Continue to Payment.

7. Enter your Payment Method Details in the relevant fields and tick the Save my Card Details (if you wish)

8. Click on Confirm Order.

9. If prompted enter details for Verified by Visa or similar.

10. Your account will now be credited with the Top Up amount you requested.

11. You will now have successfully activated your shiny new giffgaff SIM card.

The problem is that people are trying to top up their SIM straight away, without having activated it yet. Which means they are asked for a phone number, which they don't have yet. Hence the confusion. But this is good feedback, so it simply means we will have to change the website itself, so people won't see the top-up function if they don't already have an active SIM.

Does that sound fair?

Also, do you mind if I edit your post to change the information as I have written it down here?

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
apprentice
dangaff

Yes, seeing option to topup before having activated can be confusing and good to change that on website.

Couple of pointers might help to add:

It can take a bit of time for activation to be processed - in my case it took 10 mins (I thought it may have been bug in system - but that's after having had previous problems because of a bug in the system).

After activation, my mobile with GG SIM still said 'Rejected by Network'.  I tried turning off and on, but got the same.  Then took out battery and turned on again - and then got onto giffgaff network.

If followed all instructions, and can't activate, it might be a bug in the system.  Go to Support, and 'Ask an Agent'.  As I found out, a really nice and helpful GG person will give TLC and lots of help and see it is sorted out asap.  :smileyhappy:

aspirant
daveysludge

"If followed all instructions, and can't activate, it might be a bug in the system.  Go to Support, and 'Ask an Agent'.  As I found out, a really nice and helpful GG person will give TLC and lots of help and see it is sorted out asap."

Problem is people are giving up on GG after their first attempts at activation... First impressions and all that :smileysad:

How do O2 do their top-ups? They don't seem to have this trouble, surely something can be learned from the parent company?

The sooner we get an E top-up service (the majority of PAYG customers preferred method of payment) the better!

beginner
crankjack

what happens if you only top up £5.00 on activation? could it cause any problems?

mary_r_t

if it's a refer a friend sim then it won't activate.

If it's a sim you've ordered yourself £5 will activate it but you won't get free gg-gg calls and texts. You need a £10 top up every 3 months to get free gg-gg

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
If you are visiting the UK and want a sim sent to an international address, click here
Urban Myths - The truth is out there!
coach
ovolactohippo

Hi crankjack - it would be easier for you to create a new thread in the help forum - less people are likely to see your question in this thread.  If you are given the option to topup by £5 then it is fine to do so.  It means that you have a sim ordered directly from giffgaff.  With sims ordered from other members you have to topup by £10 at activation, but you will get a free £5 topup too (giving you £15 in total for your £10 topup).

Get a free Giffgaff Sim--- with £5 bonus credit

Please give kudos when deserved, and mark the post that solves your question using the options menu on the top right corner of that post :smileyhappy:
beginner
crankjack

i ordered it myself, just i am experiencing problems recieving texts on my iphone 3g