Tips & Advice

counsellor
bigfatbball2

How to giffgaff an iPhone

[ Edited ]

Please note all of these settings should not be required anymore since giffgaff now has a direct relationship with Apple & a carrier configuration profile should automatically be applied.

This is method is valid for all versions of iOS including iOS6

Here are the settings you should input under Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network

For MMS the latest iPhone specifics are: 

APN: giffgaff.com

Username: giffgaff

Password: [Leave blank]

MMSC: http://mmsc-ac.mms.o2.co.uk:10021/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195:8080

MMS Max Message Size: 2097152

Once that is done go to Settings>Messages

and check that "MMS Messaging is turned ON

Then Switch your iPhone OFF and then back on.

MMS Troubleshooting:

1>If you are unable to use MMS then re-check your settings for any typos.

2>Check you have enough credit on your giffgaff account - not just a goodybag, MMS are not included in goodybags or free GG to GG calls & texts

2>If that still doesn't work then text MMS to 1010

3>All the above failed! You're screwd..... try posting for help here though the most likely suggestion will be get in touch with an agent

Voicemail

>Giffgaff doesn't support visual voicemail

>it is not possible to change the default voicemail number which is dialled by the voicemail tab in the call app. Create a contact called voicemail which you keep in favorites (voicemail number is 443)

>If you want a good visual voicemail alternative get the ON app which does that and much more (or Hullomail which isn't as good)

Giffgaff Apps

My giffgaff - Allows you to check your balance and get into the giffgaff forums

giffgaff news - Gives you all the news about giffgaff in one app with the official giffgaff blog, giffgaff twitter feed, giffgaff news twitter feed and outages reports.

=========================================================================================

GEEKS/DEVS ONLY

For Techies it is possible to have a better giffgaff customization with a little bit of tinkering. The following method is currently iOS 4.0 -> 4.3.4 compatible. ( I have updated the guide for iOS 5 and 5.0.1 However I haven't tested that this works yet)

IMPORTANT! - Thie following method enables full giffgaff customisation but should only be used if your are comfortable following all the instructions mentionned below. Addittionally by jailbreaking you are breaking your warranty with Apple and they will not provide any support for issues resulting of this move.

I WILL NOT HELP TEACH YOU OR HELP YOU DO THESE STEPS - IF YOUR ARE NOT COMFORTABLE DOING THESE ON YOUR OWN      DO NOT ATTEMPT.

Step 1: Jailbreak your iphone - http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ for downloads and details

Step 2: Open cydia and Add the cydia repository http://v.backspace.jp/repo/ (for iOS 4.3.5 -> 5.0.1) or  http://cydia.d23.com.uy/ (for iOS 4 -> 4.3.4)

Step 3: Install the commcenter patch

Step 4: Get on your computer and enable carrier testing Follow the same instructions as Toby mentionned previously - as follows:

<<PC Users - Quit iTunes if it's running. Open up a command prompt and type the following EXACTLY as it's written

cd C:\Program Files\iTunes\

if you get an error message here then type this next line instead, if no error message then jump over the next line...

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\

you shouldn't have an error message now

then all of you PC users type

iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Done that? No error message? No response at all? Cool, it's worked, it's done clever things 'under the bonnet' that's all. Right, jump over the Mac instructions and follow from there.

Mac Users - Quit iTunes if it's running. Go into the Applications folder, then into the Utilities folder and launch the program                               called Terminal. Copy the following text and paste it into Terminal 

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

then hit the return/enter key. Done that? No error message? No response at all? Cool, it's worked, it's done clever things 'under the bonnet' that's all.That's it done. Carry on with the rest now....>> Credits Tobyriding

Step 5: Download the giffgaff carrier file TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE WHILE I UPDATE Carrier Settings

Step 6: Install the custom carrier file. Open iTunes, Go to the tab for your iPhone.

->On a PC press SHIFT and click on update then select the file you have just downloaded called giffgaff_bb2_custom.ipcc

->On a Mac press OPTION/ALT and click on update then select the file you have just downloaded called giffgaff_bb2_custom.ipcc

Step 7: ENJOY!

Step 8: open an ssh client and connect with sftp to your iphone and update com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist   with  cl.ly/3v1Z072h2y0N3q3j2P2v   - if you suceed PM please!

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 4S 32GB White > HTC HD7 with Windows Phone 7 Mango
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
cicerone
redux

Re: How to giffgaff an iPhone

[ Edited ]

Does the iPhone not get automatically offered a download of the settings, or as a reply to sending SETTINGS TO 2020, like my (more modest) phone just did?

counsellor
bigfatbball2

[ Edited ]

no SETTINGS to 2020 failed on all OS versions

Bigfatbball2
newcomer
awillkc

Once I've done this, will i be able to swap in and out my O2 sim?

counsellor
bigfatbball2

Yes awilkc but but you will need to remove the giffgaff profile eah time you put back your O2 SIM

Go to Settings>General>Profile and remove the giffgaff profile

Also you will have to reinstall the giffgaff profile eah time you put your giffgaff SIM back in - for that you can bookmark the URL above and install it over the 3G with your O2 SIM's connection.

this is definitely much quicker than having to type in all the settings manually each time you change SIM

Bigfatbball2
rookie
fante

Will an ex-O2 iPhone still have access to the Cloud? Not sure how they control it - maybe if it's based on the iPhone's MAC address it would still work? Maybe? Hopefully...

counsellor
bigfatbball2

no idea I never picked up any cloud hotspots with my iphone on o2 so I hadn't even thought about this for giffgaff - will try and find a spot and test but  I'm still under my contract with o2 so if it's MAC based which is the most likely it would probably still work in any case

Bigfatbball2
trainee
dpward

"This works both on iPhone OS 3.0.1 & 3.1.2 , vanilla & jailbroken, locked & unlocked(officially&unofficially)."

I suspect it only works with o2 UK locked iphones - important as Tesco and Vodafone are now also starting to sell the Iphone.

chaperon
ncampbell

I don't think Tesco will be an Issue, but only time will tell i guess...
Nigel Campbell
giffgaff Advisor

Yes..I'm here to Help!!...

If you've asked a question, mark the best answer as 'Accepted solution'. This lets everyone know you're sorted - It also gives kudos to the giffgaffer who helped you. Nice!
counsellor
bigfatbball2

Yes indeed dpward O2 locked, or tesco locked as tesco uses the O2 network it will be an O2 lock so no problem with them.

Vodafone and orange iPhone's will need to be unlocked using the unofficial method I described here as there is no official way of doing so as yet.

orange just launching it and vodafone going to launch it soon, the first ones being able to use their iphones on giffgaff will only be able to join in 18-24 months in any case as they willl have engaged themselves for that long. If they took on Pay as you go they might as well have bought it from O2 really...

Bigfatbball2