Tips & Advice

trainee
route79

How to know if a text message (SMS) you have sent has been delivered

Here's a handy tip for fellow GiffGaffers:

If you want to know if a text message that you have sent to someone has actually been delivered to their phone, then you have to insert the following characters at the very beginning of your text message:

*0# (Star zero hash - i.e. the bottom three characters on your keypad)

Then carry on typing out your message. When you send the message, you will get a text receipt back when the message actually appears on the other person's phone. (not when it has been read by the person, only when it has been delivered.) The *0# will be stripped out of the text message so the other person will not see those.

This tip only works for phones with SIMs that connect to O2's network.

Nowadays the mobile networks text message servers (SMSCs) are usually quite reliable so you don't really need to know if a text message has been delivered, because 99.999% of the time the message will actually be delivered. BUT - it's a great way to work out of the other person's phone is switched on or not - and if it is switched off, then you will get the receipt when the other person's phone is switched back on. But because not many people switch off their phones regularly, I have found this tip useful in a very specific circumstance: I travel a lot on aeroplanes. So I tell my nearest and dearest to send me a text message with *0# at the beginning of the message when they know I am travelling. If they don't get a receipt straight away, then they know that I must be in the air (phone switched off); but when they do eventually get the receipt then they know I have landed and arrived safely.

Hope this is useful.

skier
Kudos: 19

Re: How to know if a text message (SMS) you have sent has been delivered

Thanks for sharing this tip - really useful.

Having just tried it, I can add that only the sending phone has to be giffgaff or O2. It works when the recipient is on Vodafone.

Also, the return text with delivery confirmation is free, even when sending to another network.

cheers

Chris

newcomer
superdude

Hi all,

Delivery Reports do not confirm a recipient has received the SMS on their handset.

It only confirms that the 'network' (even your own) to which you have sent the message has received the message on their SMS switch/router.

:robotvery-happy:

trainee
route79

[ Edited ]

Hi Superdude,

You might be right that "Delivery Reports" (as they are generally implemented in mobile networks) only tell you that the message has been received by the SMSC or router etc. but the tip that I have posted above actually is truly a delivery report.

Try it out if you have an O2/GiffGaff SIM: send a text message with *0# in the first three characters to a phone that is switched off - the message will leave your handset, get sent into the network, and will wait at the SMS router or SMSC until the phone has switched back on. You will only get the receipt when the text message has actually been delivered to the target handset. If that were not the case (i.e. your suggestion was true) , then in the "aeroplane" scenario I gave you above would not work like I have actually experienced it to work.

beginner
florian

How come the actual delivery reports don't work?

I enabled them on my Nokia phone, and that didn't work. It keeps saying Pending. How come?

Kudos this post if it was helpful :smileyhappy:
trainee
route79

For some reason O2 does not support "Delivery Reports" as standard.

The only way of getting a delivery report on O2 UK network is on a per-message basis as I stated in the tip above.

newcomer
superdude

Hi route79

Your correct if the h/set is powered off you will not get a delivery report until its powered back on - this though is because the initial signalling to the network (to find out where the recipient is) will be reponded to with an 'Absent Subscriber' message so no report sent :robotvery-happy:

beginner
florian

route79 wrote:

For some reason O2 does not support "Delivery Reports" as standard.

The only way of getting a delivery report on O2 UK network is on a per-message basis as I stated in the tip above.

That sucks. Can't GiffGaff fix this?

--Florian

Kudos this post if it was helpful :smileyhappy:
gaffer
Topics: 8
Kudos: 2,017
Best Answers: 1

Thanks to route79 for this.

The O2 mobile network (and hence ours) doesn't have "catch all" delivery reports enabled - so the handset setting that florian tried from their Nokia won't work.

We've noticed a few tips like this appearing on the forum and since we want to keep "Ask the community" reserved specifically for problems and issues that members need resolving we're thinking about adding a "Top Tips" board in the discussion area - We'll then move the posts like this into there.

If you've got any other ideas on how to organise the forum then why not take a look at this thread and tell us what you think.

Thanks again for all your contributions.

Mike
giffgaff CEO

Top tip:If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'accepted solution’, then we know you're sorted
pioneer
peter

O2 and their MVNOs have never supported delivery reports. 

They've always said that they use network resources yet all the other UK networks have them.

Also the *0# trick works on Vodafone, O2, Orange and T-Mobile.

It sends you a text when the message has been received rather than the inbuilt report system on your phone.

If you think this post has been helpful, don't forget to kudos :smileyhappy: