Tips & Advice

endorphin
Kudos: 6,986
Best Answers: 5,545

Huawei Ascend G300 - Official UK Vodafone ICS update

Here is the official Vodafone UK ICS update for the Ascend G300 for manual download and update....

http://www.huaweidevice.com/uk/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDAyNDk=

it should contain a pdf with full instructions (but basically copy dload folder to sdcard and perform software upgrade).

Of course, I take no responsibility should you decide to install this - you do it at your own risk. Having said that it is the official update so if something goes wrong you should be covered under warranty IMHO.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
nerakb

Re: Huawei Ascend G300 - Official UK Vodafone ICS update

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this Endorphin.I've managed to install ICS on my Ascend G300.First impressions-it does appear to be more responsive.Having said that,I will have to play around with it a bit more to make sure I'm happy with it.

Cheers.

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

tutor
stephen1972

newcomer
rkbegum84

[ Edited ]

How do i install the update?i copied the dload folder to the sd card and when i tried to open it, keeps saying error as it is not a pdf file. am doing something wrong? please can someone give me a step by step guide. Thanks

nerakb

rkbegum84 wrote:

How do i install the update?i copied the dload folder to the sd card and when i tried to open it, keeps saying error as it is not a pdf file. am doing something wrong? please can someone give me a step by step guide. Thanks

This is what I did:-

I downloaded the update on to my laptop and scanned it.I unmounted and removed my sd card from my phone,put it into an adaptor and put it in my laptop.I dragged and dropped the dload from my laptop onto my sd card.Once it had completed,I removed my sd card from my laptop and reinserted it into my phone.The phone then read my sd card and identified the dload.It started to install the update.A meessage appeared on the phone screen saying something along the lines of "installing update do not turn phone off".There are 2 items to install.

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

endorphin
Kudos: 6,986
Best Answers: 5,545

rkbegum84 wrote:

After you have placed the dload folder on the root of the SD Card

Settings > Storage > Software upgrade > SD Card upgrade

or maybe

Settings > Software upgrade > SD Card upgrade

Good luck!

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
pathfinder
teani

great deal 

hope my local has some in come weekend , make good xmas pressy for my lil nephew

newcomer
deenuttydj

They, have removed the downloads off the website now, anyone able to share a copy?

newcomer
kkig123

I'd wait and see what happens - people on a vodafone forum complaining it is buggy and voda guy mentioned they were working to fix it.  Would be good to grab a copy in case they never actually officially release it though.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-Manufacturers-and-OS/Huawei-Ascend-G300-upgrade-to-Android-4-0-...

I have the G300 and it's a great phone but this kind of mucking about with different OS versions is the one negative I've found so far Vs iPhone.

cbaddiley
Kudos: 184
Best Answers: 32

[ Edited ]

#### UPDATED 7/11/2012 : SEE END OF MESSAGE #####

Be careful! That official Huawei (not Vodafone) release has been known to brick some Huawei G300 handsets. Just check the online forums for more info.

I have a Huawei Ascend G300 with firmware U8815V100R001C02B885 which I bought brand new from my local Sainsburys last week. It's firmware is not upgradeable via the official channel below or via handset OTA update. I'm stuck on Android 2.3.6 (Gingerbread) for now.

Certain handset pre-requisites are needed:

Proceed with caution!!!

(Source: the help file on the official Huawei ICS Android 4.0 update)

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=N...

HUAWEI Ascend G300 firmware(U8815,Android 4.0,V100R001C00B934,General Version)

2012-08-01     328.34MB

Before updating this V100R001C00B934 4.0 normal Version, please firstly check the phone's software version by System settings->About phone->Build number.
Only the followed versions are recommended to upgrade to the V100R001C00B934 Version.
For other software versions, please don't update to the V100R001C00B934 Version because of possible failure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Versions can be upgraded:

U8815V100R001C00B915
U8815V100R001C00B916
U8815V100R001C00B918
U8815V100R001C00B929
U8815V100R001C00B933
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this info stops just one user from bricking their G300, my mission will be complete. LOOK before you leap!

See my guide on Upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich / Downgrading to Gingerbread:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Huawei-G300-Upgrade-to-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-D...

If you like my answer, press my Kudos star * (over here) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > V
Get a free giffgaff Sim
If I fixed your problem, press (Set as Best Answer) down here > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > V