Tips & Advice

counsellor
samlowe

MicroGaff Scam

[ Edited ]

For people who use the MicroGaff scheme, I thought I'd make you aware of a little scam that seems to be going around.

1. Someone requests a Micro-SIM Card from you
  2. They recieve the SIM-Card
  3. They contact you saying they don't need it anymore and are willing to return it to you
  4. You then give them a return address.

However, the SIM-Card that you recieve back isn't the one that you sent, they have sent you one of their's been cut down.

Now, they hope that you don't realise and when you get a MicroGaff request, you are going to forward the one they returned giving them an activation, not you.

This has happened to me twice now and once to my mother, all by different people so it's becoming a wide-spread problem and I thought I'd flag it up with people so they don't get caught out by the same scams.

Luckily, I realised the weren't my SIM-cards because all my activation codes are similar because I ordered in bulk via the giffgaff box scheme and the activation codes where very different and the SIM-Cards went straight into the bin.

How to prevent youself being caught out by this scam:

Make note of the Activation Codes and SIM-Card ID Codes on the cards that you send out and the giffgaff username of the person that you send it to, that way, if they send you one back and it wasn't the one you send them, you can drop them a PM saying you are onto them and that you are going to make Green65 aware, then hopefully, they will be suspended from the system and we can have more geniune requests and less scammers.

Help! I think I've been caught out! What can I do?

You should contact one of the educators (hazel22, zobia22, the_joseph, tobias_b or a_rachel) they will then take action against the member (revoke payback) and you should report the user to green65 who will suspend them from the MicroGaff scheme preventing them scamming more people!

aspirant
daveysludge

Re: MicroGaff Scam

It's about time GG started to do the micro sims themselves, I'm stopping doing them after the next 2 have been shifted...
micro Simmicro Simmicro Sim
top cat
andreww
Mobile Phone: iPhone 5s

Thanks for letting people know Sam. Unbelievable! :smileymad:

All SIMs, Micro-SIMs and Nano-Sims include £5 free credit upon activation :smileyhappy:
enigma
jamesdn

Thank you for that.

I have already refused some orders by well established long serving community members who have ordered through me direct (even though I don't advertise my link directly anywhere) who want them 'just to see how others operate'.

It's worth keeping an eye for that too as it's a waste of everyones resources.
counsellor
samlowe

daveysludge wrote:
It's about time GG started to do the micro sims themselves, I'm stopping doing them after the next 2 have been shifted...

I'm still quite alright with providing the SIM-cards, as long as they are activated and I'm not loosing out. But if I did start loosing out, I'd stop straight away. 

Had over 20 activations via MicroGaff though so I think I'm doing okay :smileyhappy:

novice
marineio

I don't see why Giffgaff can't create a simcard that has both a Normal size cutout (When you pop the sim out of the card), and also another popout for a micro sim :-)

counsellor
samlowe

jamesdn wrote:
Thank you for that.

I have already refused some orders by well established long serving community members who have ordered through me direct (even though I don't advertise my link directly anywhere) who want them 'just to see how others operate'.

It's worth keeping an eye for that too as it's a waste of everyones resources.

I know how you fell, James.

I had this off a member just a few days ago, it may be the same person, he was called Adam. 

He requested the SIM to be sent, I did and he then requested my text templates and he said he was going to give my SIM to a friend, although he could now offer them himself, and for him to do that, he wanted my templates.

Must think we're born yesterday :smileysad:

Would there be any way for it to be stopped? Or do we just have to trust that they are all honest requests? :smileysad:

counsellor
samlowe

marineio wrote:

I don't see why Giffgaff can't create a simcard that has both a Normal size cutout (When you pop the sim out of the card), and also another popout for a micro sim :-)

You mean like this idea here:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Micro-Sim-pushout-in-Mini-Sim/idi-p/805...

enigma
jamesdn

Sam, any chance you would be kind enough to allow micrograff users to add themselves to some sort of mailer/PM list where we can communicate usernames, names/address of known scammers so we can be on the look out?
former giff-staffer
david_m

Hi Guy's

In cases like this could you please let one of the Educators know the offending members usernames and be sure to pass your feedback onto green65 who will no doubt remove them from the MicroGaff scheme.

Cheers

David

Unlock A Chicken