Tips & Advice

essexmate
Kudos: 1,008
Best Answers: 13

NEW USERS. Got problems with your Internet? Read this...

[ Edited ]

Hello to all new giffgaff members.

I thought I would write this thread as there seems to be a lot of confusion for anyone joining giffgaff about their internet connection after they have activated their new giffgaff sim.

At the present time, your giffgaff sim may have an internet block applied to it after activation. The internet block is to prevent people from using the giffgaff network to access the internet on their phone without actually activating the sim. The internet block should be removed during the sim activation process, but sometimes this may fail to happen and it then needs to be manually removed by a giffgaff agent.

Before everyone starts contacting giffgaff, please double check that you have input the correct settings into your phone. Most issues are solved by checking and double checking that the correct settings have been used. It sometimes helps to reboot/restart your phone.

Sim activations can also take up to 24 hours to fully activate - so you may need to be a little patient. You will know when your account is fully operational when you see your giffgaff mobile number and account balance in the My giffgaff section of the website (see links at the top of the page).

When you activate your sim, you need to top-up a minimum of £10 credit or buy a goodybag.

For correct internet settings relating your your phone, you can search the support forum by typing in the model name or manufacturer here. Please double check your internet settings and ensure they are correct after a phone reboot/restart.

If your internet still does not work after checking that your account is up and running, and you are able to make calls and texts, and have double checked your internet settings, then you should contact an agent and ask them if there is an internet bar (block) in place on your account.

You can contact an agent by logging into your account in the My giffgaff section and then proceed to ask an agent. You will also find a link to 'ask an agent' in the support section, located underneath the search box and in the Contact Us page (there's a link to that at the bottom of every forum page).

You may need to wait 24 hours for a response from an agent. They will reply to you as soon as they can in the support section. You will need to be logged into your account to be able to view the link: messages from agents.

If you have a problem contacting an agent using the above links, you can email a giffgaff agent directly... Please send an email to: giffgaffteam@mailuk.custhelp.com - you will need to include your username, mobile number, name and address and the long sim serial number printed on your sim card as well as the details of your problem.

You can read more about the internet bar for new sim activations in this thread.

Please do have a good look around the forums, including the Top Tips section before you post a question. You will find that most of your problems can be sorted out with a quick search of the forums, as other members will most likely have had the same problem as you.

It can be a frustrating experience starting out with a new network, but i'm sure you will agree, once you are up and running, you'll love giffgaff.

-------------------------

Some useful giffgaff guides to setting up popular phones...

How to giffgaff an iPhone 3G... http://bit.ly/giffgaffiphone

How to giffgaff an iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S (iOS 6)... http://bit.ly/ggiphone

How to giffgaff an Android... http://bit.ly/giffgaffandroid

How to giffgaff a BlackBerry... http://bit.ly/giffgaffblackberry

How to giffgaff a Windows Mobile 6.1... http://bit.ly/giffgaffwindows

Guide to generic giffgaff internet settings for other phones... http://bit.ly/giffgaffAPN

iPhone guideofficial giffgaff nanoSIM with £5 free creditOrder a microSIM with £5 free creditOrder a giffgaff SIM
heavy hitter
rjheald

Re: NEW USERS. Got problems with your Internet? Read this...

Nice post - kudos given

I know why you have posted it here but it should really be in the top tips section

For a free sim with £5 credit click here
To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
essexmate
Kudos: 1,008
Best Answers: 13

[ Edited ]

rjheald wrote:

Nice post - kudos given

I know why you have posted it here but it should really be in the top tips section

I disagree rjheald. It seems most new users come straight to the 'Help: Ask the community' board. It needs to be here so that it gets noticed. Thanks for the Kudos.

I would like just like to point out to all new users.... do read the Top Tips section, there are many guides there to help you get started. By all means post your question in 'Ask the community', but do read the forum boards first.

iPhone guideofficial giffgaff nanoSIM with £5 free creditOrder a microSIM with £5 free creditOrder a giffgaff SIM
heavy hitter
rjheald

[ Edited ]

Yes I said I know why you have put it here :smileyhappy:

Edit: There you go, floated to the top

To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
academic
spartacus

[ Edited ]

Excellent post! Well written.

Could we perhaps have this as a temporary sticky - say for a month?

Just a suggestion that the recurring problem areas could perhaps have a sticky post for a short period - another area that currently crops up on a regular basis is the Goodybag Labs - where people dive in and buy without understanding the bag.

A good idea to post in the help section - since as you say it appears to be the first port of call for many new members.  

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
beginner
wizadora11a

Ive activated my sim, Ive bought a goodybag before and also topped credit, now when I go onto the site, all it will let me do is buy top up credit and nothing else, when I click on ask an agent it takes me to the home page and will not let me email anyone, all I can do is post here.....!!! anybody at all got any advice, apart from going back to vodafone!!!

heavy hitter
rjheald

wizadora11a wrote:

Ive activated my sim, Ive bought a goodybag before and also topped credit, now when I go onto the site, all it will let me do is buy top up credit and nothing else, when I click on ask an agent it takes me to the home page and will not let me email anyone, all I can do is post here.....!!! anybody at all got any advice, apart from going back to vodafone!!!

You need to start your own thread and people will help you, click here to start a new thread

sloz

Wizadora if you can add credit only its no problem. Ynu can buy a goodybag after by clicking 1 of the j.mp short url links in this thread... http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Activating-sim-with-mobile-and-no-credit-ca... you might have tn re log in and click thd relevant j.mp link again. When your on the correct page just click confirm to buy
allan1954
Topics: 267
Kudos: 1,502
Best Answers: 345

yes nice post kudos also.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
khairul
Kudos: 2,792
Best Answers: 144

Congrats essexmate, it's been stickied :smileyhappy:

Click here to order a giffgaff standard/Micro/Nano SIM and get £5 EXTRA CREDIT free with your first top-up! UK first class & international delivery available