Tips & Advice

graduate
plastix

Recommended Android Apps

[ Edited ]

One of the best things about modern phones is the wide variety of Apps available.  Sometime however there are so many to choose from that it can be hard to spot the best.  I propose we list all the best apps we have found, especially those we can't live without.

I'll try and update this original post regularly to include the suggestions of others, so please keep to a standard format:

App Name

• Price
  • Brief Description
  • Min. Android Version required
  • Brief Review
  • Rating
  • link to android Market 

Android Market links for past recommendations:

LauncherPro / LauncherPro Plus
Air Control Lite / Air Control
Last.fm
NetCounter
PingChat!
DropBox
Tasker
Angry Birds
Rom Manager
Wifi Analyzer

So here we go...

LauncherPro / LauncherPro Plus

• Free (Plus version $2.99)
  • Stock Launcher replacement, providing an improved home screens (more responsive, improved dock, HTC style pinch to preview) and high level of customisation.
  • Android 2.1+
  • Review:  I have been using this app for a couple of months on my Nexus One and can firmly say it is outstanding.  My phones home screen has never been more responsive (close to iphone quality) or useful (the dock at bottom can by fully customised and displays outstanding txt, email and calls. 
  •  

The developer is constantly adding improvements and really seems to listen to his user base.  One of the few apps I was willing to give a donation towards, however the recent launch of the paid 'Plus' version now includes HTC style widgets, which I have been very happy with.  Try free version first!!!

• 5/5 on vanilla android; 4/5 if using HTC sense UI
  • http://www.launcherpro.com/
  •  

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
    cicerone
    mirfan

Re: Recommended Android Apps

Air Control

• Free (pay to remove adverts option)
    • Addictive aircraft / helicopter landing game.
    • any
    • Simple game which you'll be hooked on for a few days until you hit your limit!
    • 4/5
    cicerone
    mirfan

Last.fm

• Free
    • Stream music from your Last.fm playlist.
    • any
    • Stream music from your chosen artists/genres.
    • 4/5
    cicerone
    mirfan

Google Maps / Navigation update

• Free
    • Recently upgraded version of Google Maps &  Navigation. Now also provides "Places nearby"
    • any
    • Excellent, provides Turn by Turn navigation like a TomTom. The new places app lists useful points nearby, e.g. can select from Banks, Petrol Stations, Medical, etc.
    • 5/5 must be worth a lot more than this!
    cicerone
    mirfan

NetCounter

• Free
    • Network traffic counter. Shows Data usage broken down to Monthly, 7 days, and today.
    • any
    • Excellent for making sure you remain under the 100MB daily limit, especially if you are using Last.fm or other data hungry apps.
    • 4/5
    cicerone
    mirfan

UK National Rail

• Free
    • Realtime train departure information.
    • any
    • Pick a station from all the stations on the network. Store your most frequently used ones for ease. Lists all the trains departing, with expected times. Like the departure board at the station.
    • 5/5
    • Not available on Android market. Available from: http://www.nationalrail.ktbm.com/

graduate
    plastix

³ (or Cubed) developed by fabrantes

• Free
    • Music App
    • Alternative music app for thos of us that require apps to have a bit more 'graphical flair'.  Standard options gives a 3d cube which you can swype to scroll through albums and artists.  Also includes multiple widgets and updates album art.
    • 4/5

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
    mienaikage
    Topics: 6
    Kudos: 32
    Ideas: 1
    Best Answers: 0

AppBrain

• FREE
    • An alternative and much better way to use the Android Market. Also enables the ability to install apps directly from your PC with the Fast Web Installer.
    • Android 1.5+
    • One of the most invaluable indispensable apps out there, AppBrain gives you a much more user friendly experience in browsing the Android market. As well as giving you a better option to browse the market on your phone, the app also allows you to browse and install on http://www.appbrain.com directly from your PC when coupled with the Fast Web Installer. It will also give you recommendations for apps based on what you already have installed.
    • 5/5
    • http://www.appbrain.com/info/faq
    mienaikage

OysterCatcher

• FREE
    • Can't find a place to top up your Oyster card? Let your Android locate one for you.
    • Android 1.5+
    • If you've ever had one of those times where you need to catch a bus, but you find your Oyster card is not topped up enough for the ride, this will stop you needing to pay that over the top £2 for a ticket.
    • 5/5
    mienaikage

Wheres My Droid

• FREE
    • Misplaced your phone? Left it on silent? This will help you out.
    • Android 1.5+
    • Although I have the app, I have yet had the need to use it personally. What this app will do is upon receiving a text message with a pre-set phrase (the default being 'wheres my droid') the app will turn the ringer volume up and begin to ring for a set amount of time. Perfect if you find yourself misplacing your phone often.
    • 4/5