Tips & Advice

darrenpainter
Kudos: 13,225
Best Answers: 3,965

Using giffgaff abroad.

[ Edited ]

Following some recent posts on a few subjects relating to giffgaff use abroad I thought I would pull together some info into a single thread

Do I need to tell giffgaff I'm outside of the UK

No, by default your giffgaff sim is enabled for use outside of the UK, unless you have previously asked giffgaff to bar roaming. 

Will my phone work

Different regions of the world use different frequency bands for their 2G and 3G mobile services. Check your handset's specifications. The more bands it supports, the more likely it is to work in more destinations

e.g

Dual band  : Europe

Tri-band     : USA/Canada

Quad Band :Asia 

Do I need to change my phone settings

Make sure your phone's network selection is set to automatic, to ensure it can pick up a roaming network when you arrive at your destination

Call costs

To make calls and texts whilst you are abroad, you must have sufficient airtime credit, as any calls/texts made whilst roaming abroad do not come from goody bag allowances or free giffgaff to giffgaff allowances and are charged.

If you know that you will be away from the UK for an extended period, then avoid buying a goodybag until your return to avoid wasting money on something you will be unable to use.

People calling your giffgaff number from the UK will still be able to make a free giffgaff to giffgaff call to it if they are entitled to, or will be charged the relevant UK rate or goodybag allowance as the location of your phone does not affect them. 

Please note that whilst roaming abroad, you will be charged for receiving calls, however texts are free to receive 

See http://giffgaff.com/index/international for up to date prices

Data Roaming

Bear in mind that using data outside of the UK will be more expensive, in addition costs will be even higher outside of the EU and selected countries. Where possible, make use of free hotel wi-fi and other available sources.

For members using data in any EU country: (Inc, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Iceland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland) VAT Inclusive

Members will be charged at £0.45 per MB.

For members using data in any other country: (VAT not inclusive)

Members will be charged at £5.00 per MB.

MMS

Picture messages should work as long as you have configured your MMS settings correctly and have sufficient credit, however some people have reported that they have had issues with it not working whilst abroad.

What network will I be on / How to dial internationally

Please note that the following is only a guide as giffgaff have similar roaming agreements to o2 for payg. 

Go to http://travelabroad.o2-uktech.com/coverage.php, enter tariff as Pay and Go and enter your destination

This will list the o2 partner network in that area that your phone should roam on. Ignore the prices listed and refer to giffgaff's own prices

In addition if there are any special dialling codes needed for an area, these will be listed.

Other advice

Another alternative to using your giffgaff sim is to obtain a local sim for your destination

see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls

Your Experiences

As an extra idea people may wish to contribute their actual experiences when using non-uk networks

This will be subjective and represent the service at the time, not a guarantee that you would experience the same

Maybe add a post with a header of

Network: eg Bouygues

Details:   eg Good reception outdoors in cities, limited rural coverage

Credits [ Vincent, commsyeo , andy0,  aandms]

phenomenon
aandms

Re: Using giffgaff abroad

Nice one, may i add if your not bothered about taking your number look here for cheaper options http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls
Get a free Giffgaff SimOr for a giffgaff hybrid sim (for all phones inc iphone 4, 4S and ipad) , also with £5 free credit but sent 1st class, fill in this form
thesaint
Topics: 189

Excellent piece of information Darren.Salud,Les

yaakov1
Topics: 219
Kudos: 1,611
Best Answers: 348
Mobile Phone: iPad 3 on a gigabag
darrenpainter
Kudos: 13,225
Best Answers: 3,965

A kudo to you for reminding me :smileyhappy: and amended as requested
sloz

Re: Using giffgaff abroad.

[ Edited ]
It will work out cheaper if you use an app to send texts back to the uk , using the smsbug app http://smsbug.com will only use a few kb,s to send a text, it costs 3 euros to buy a bundle of 100 texts, so every text works out around 5 p each
newcomer
utdminiman

Yeah but thats a bit too much effort just to send a text.

sloz

What's too much effort? Using smsbug? There's not much effort at all resly
damiengitt
Topics: 3
Kudos: 15
Ideas: 0
Best Answers: 0

Easier still to find free wifi hotspot and you viber or Skype
Look out for Mc donalds, Starbucks and other big chain with free WIFI and use skype or viber to make cheap or even free call
Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
brodie1

Thank you for that. I actually asked a similar question, but now, having logged in again, can't find my original question anywhere! Your answer - and the link about useful tips using your mobile abroad - have helped. I think I have to buy extra credit - maybe £5 on top of my £5 Hokey Cokey goody bag.