Tips & Advice

trueriver
Topics: 41
Kudos: 189
Best Answers: 11

Re: Zero Balance Access to Mobile Top-up Site

did you actually test this with a zero balance?

on a sim with a zero balance this would not connect from an android phone (gingerbread, tried stock browser and Opera mobile with turbo off) nor from a cheap Samsung (E250).

I am wondering if the internet refuses to connect when there is a zero balance.

Did you
1. test with a sim that had a zero balance? or

2. rely on asking for balance remaining not changing?

River
Get £15 credit for £10Get £15 credit for £10Please order your SIM from the banner below the most helpful answer to say thanks to them & get your £5 bonus
rayhoo
Topics: 22
Kudos: 4,040

[ Edited ]

trueriver wrote:
did you actually test this with a zero balance?

on a sim with a zero balance this would not connect from an android phone (gingerbread, tried stock browser and Opera mobile with turbo off) nor from a cheap Samsung (E250).

I am wondering if the internet refuses to connect when there is a zero balance.

Did you
1. test with a sim that had a zero balance? or

2. rely on asking for balance remaining not changing?

River

I tested with absolute zero balance using a Samsung U900.   You can only gain free access by using either a bookmark, or the Integral Browser's homepage.  Other browsers like Opera won't allow direct access to the Free website as it has to go through it's own server first.  Onboard browsers (if compatible) must have a direct link from a bookmark or hompage to acknowledge zero balance.

The Proxy settings also had to be removed!  This ensured that only one route to free site was allowed.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Gen. note: Text "PASS" to 43430 to confirm your username, account e-mail address, and a password reset link.
apprentice
boomboom2000

kudosss

oldyorkie
Mobile Phone: Nexus 5 32gb.

Bumping this as it was raised tonight in the recurring v queued goodybag suggestion here..It would appear that

(puts Michael Caine voice on) .. "Not a lot o' people know that" .... :smileywink:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/keep-the-ability-to-queue-goody-bags-wh...

To Read is To Learn - go on - give it a try :smileywink:
Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at :smileytongue:

Get a free giffgaff Simsignature 1.jpg
newcomer
bobbygill124

Kudos
enigma
mgb2

[ Edited ]

guides like this are always worthy of a bump, particularly if there is something to add...

from the Ts&Cs  

4.5. You must have a minimum balance of 15 pence in order to initiate a GPRS WAP or mobile internet session in the UK.

Whilst this term has existed for the whole time I've been a member (a year this week) it is a bit odd, as free (no balance) access to a GPRS / WAP data session is what is being discussed in this thread.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
be nice, kudos where due, solution if earnt
pathfinder
adsb

It's been a while since I tried, but I found I needed to turn Javascript off in the browser - otherwise the browser tried to pull in a shed-load of Javascript from sites external to giffgaff.

Don't really understand why simple web pages need to include external Javascript.

enigma
mgb2

[ Edited ]

@adsb, interesting... what opsys is your phone? as the java thing could be specific to symbian or whatever system you have... (unlikely I know, cos you'd think it will pull the same stuff regardless, but, who knows...?)

any more info can only help clear things up...

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
be nice, kudos where due, solution if earnt
shahzadh
Topics: 111
Kudos: 148
Best Answers: 30

Has any one tried on samsung galaxy s2?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
rayhoo
Topics: 22
Kudos: 4,040

shahzadh wrote:
Has any one tried on samsung galaxy s2?

I haven't come across anyone yet, but the fact is, we don't get to hear about this until someone fails to gain access when they have zero balance.  Normally, I guess the majority top up online, and there are others who won't try in case it reduces their balance, thus preventing them from buying the goodybag they want. 

The more information we can collect here (as to who can, and can't gain free access) then the clearer the subject will become.

I use the mobile site often with my accounts I have and never have any problems with it.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Gen. note: Text "PASS" to 43430 to confirm your username, account e-mail address, and a password reset link.