Tips & Advice

heavy hitter
rjheald

giffgaffer's guide to Android

[ Edited ]

I've been asked to write a giffgaffer's guide to Android along the lines of the other guides for iPhone and Blacberry so here goes my first effort.  I will update this guide as and when needed.  I hope a mod will see this and pin it to the top to save people searching :smileyhappy:

• Setting up Internet and MMS...

First of all texting SETTINGS to 2020 only works on some Android phones so give it a try and if you have no luck follow the guide below.

The following step by step guide will walk you through installing the settings for Internet and MMS.  The settings for both Internet and MMS have been combined into a single APN and will work for most Android phones running the following Android versions - 1.6, 2.1 and above

1. Press the Menu key
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Wireless & networks
  4. Tap Mobile networks
  5. Tap Access Point Names
  6. Tap a giffgaff APN (if there are no APNs go to 10)
  7. Press the Menu key
  8. Tap Delete APN
  9. Repeat 6, 7 and 8 until no giffgaff APNs remain
  10.  Tap the Menu key
  11.  Tap New APN
  12.  Tap Name then tap the text box and enter giffgaff then tap OK
  13.  Tap APN then tap the text box and enter giffgaff.com then tap OK
  14.  Tap Username then tap the text box and enter giffgaff then tap OK
  15.  Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK
  16.  Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002 then tap OK
  17.  Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
  18.  Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
  19.  Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK
  20.  Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK
  21.  Press the Menu key
  22.  Tap Save
  23.  Tap the circle next to giffgaff so a green dot appears.
  24.  Press the Back key four times to return to the home screen.
  25.  Turn you phone off and back on again

Settings 1  Settings 2  Settings 3

• The settings application force closes or the settings won't save...

Don't worry, this happens sometimes if the APNs have become corrupted.  The phone has a long list of APNs that you cannot see until you insert a sim that will use them but these APNs can become corrupted causing force close errors or just stopping the settings being saved.  To get around this we need to delete all the APNs and start again:

1. Connect your phone to Wi-Fi at home, a friends or a local hotspot
  2. Tap the Up Arrow to open All Apps
  3. Tap Market
  4. Tap Search (magnifying glass icon top right)
  5. Type APN Backup into the search box and tap Search (magnifying glass icon top right)
  6. You will get a result APN Backup & Restore, tap it and tap Install on the next screen
  7. Tap OK on the warning screen
  8. Wait for the phone to say Successfully Installed in the notification bar at the top
  9. Press the Back key twice to return to the home screen
  10.  Tap the Up Arrow to open All Apps
  11.  Tap APN Backup & Restore
  12.  Tap Delete APNs
  13.  Tap Yes to the warning and then tap Close on the Delete Succeeded message
  14.  Press the Back key to return to the home screen
  15.  Turn off your Wi-Fi connection
  16.  Switch your phone off and back on again
  17.  You will now be able to enter the internet settings following the instructions above

If you know how to use QR codes then use this for APN Backup & Restore:

APN Backup & Restore

• I've entered all the settings and it still doesn't work...

If after entering all the settings successfully and rebooting your phone you still cannot access the internet then it's time to double check the settings.  Some 3rd party keyboards can add an extra space at the end of the Username, Password etc and this will stop it working so check and remove extra spaces.  Also check all . and : are correct and you haven't put a , or ; by mistake.

If you are running JuiceDefender then remove it until you have installed the settings and got your connection working as it is known to sometimes cause problems with the connection.

Some people have also had problems with other APNs conflicting or even overriding the giffgaff APN so try removing all other APNs and just leave the giffgaff APN with the green dot next to it as shown in the third screenshot above.

For some reason the Orange branded San Francisco will not work with a single APN.  I am not sure what Orange have done to mess up the APN settings but if you have a San Francisco you will need to use 2 seperate APNs as set out in this thread

If everything is correct but you still can't access the internet and you've activated your sim recently then there could be a data bar on your account.  All sims are now sent out semi activated with data barred so you can check the signal strength before you activate and top up.  This data bar is normally removed automatically after activation but occasionally will need an agent to do it manually.  Contact an agent by clicking here or you might find it is quicker to create a new post in the forum as the agents monitor the forum closely.

• OTA Updates...

You will be able to get OTA Updates when using giffgaff's network for your internet connection and also when using Wi-Fi at home, a friend's or a hotspot.  If your phone was supplied by another network then you will still get the updates from that network, if it is unbranded then the updates will come directly from the manufacturer.

Some major updates like going from 1.6 to 2.1 or going from 2.1 to 2.2 will usually reset all your network settings and you will have to enter them again following the instructions above from the beginning.

• My phone rings 901 instead of 443 for voicemail...

All Android phones currently detect that giffgaff runs on the O2 network and automatically sets the voicemail number to the O2 voicemail number 901.  If your phone is running Android 2.1 then you will be unable to change the voicemail number from 901 and you will have to ring 443 manually until Android version 2.2 is available for your phone.

If you are running Android 1.6 or 2.2 then you can change the number to 443 as follows:

1. Press the Menu key
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Call
  4. Tap Voicemail settings
  5. Tap Voicemail number then tap the text box and enter 443 then tap OK
  6. Press the Back key 3 times to return to the home screen
  7. Turn you phone off and back on again

•  My phone doesn't recognise my number...

giffgaff do not allocate you a phone number until after the sim is activated and topped up for the first time.  This means that your phone number is not programmed to the sim so your Android phone cannot read it from the sim.  Unfortunately Android phones are not capable of programming your number to the sim which can cause 2 different problems:

1. Your picture will not show in text conversations and various other places.  The fix for this is to add your phone number to the contact at the top of contacts list called My contact card that should already show your name.  If you don't have this special contact try adding it, if it still doesn't work then look at the next solution.

1. Some applications will not work as these require your phone number to identify you.  The fix for this requires that you put your sim into another phone to program your phone number to the sim card.  I used an SE w580i to program my number to my sim but most SE and nokia phones can do the job, even the iPhone can program your number to the sim so just borrow a friends phone for a minute or 2 if you don't have a spare phone at home.

•  OK I'm all set up now what about some decent apps...

There are already some good threads around where people have posted their favourite apps, have a look at this one and add your own favourites to the thread if you like

•  I need more help...

If you've followed all this thread and you still can't make things work, or you need some help with something not mentioned here then start a new thread in the Help: Ask the community forum by clicking here

For a free sim with £5 credit click here
To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
mondeoman1970

Re: giffgaffer's guide to Android

Nice post rjheald. Nice and simple to follow.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
heavy hitter
rjheald

OK added quite a bit more info...

If anyone can think of anything I've missed out then post in this thread and I'll add it in :smileyhappy:

To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
trainee
baasit

Great thread nice one mate. :smileyhappy:

consultant
paul_shirley

rjheald wrote:

Some 3rd party keyboards can add an extra space at the end of the Username, Password etc and this will stop it working so check and remove extra spaces.

This is mostly caused by the auto-suggestion/correction/prediction etc. settings, rather than specific keyboards.

newcomer
a7ghani

Hi could you put instructions on how to get the calls working please? Also, these don't work for my HTC Desire, after multiple attempts, I still can't call, text or go on the mobile internet.

HTC Desire
darrenpainter
Kudos: 13,223
Best Answers: 3,965

[ Edited ]

If you cannot call or text as well, then it sounds very much like you have not actually activated your sim card If you go to my giffgaff does it show your mobile number, does it show you as having any credit ?.

newcomer
a7ghani

Ohh My GOSH! I checked payment and there was nothing, I chose a plan again and payed again and still nothing. What the hell is this rubbish?!

HTC Desire
ant trainee
trainee
ant

Hi rjheald,

Your post is really helpful.  I just wanted to let you know that on my X10 mini pro I am able to change the voicemail number to 443 and this is only running Android 1.6 - it is via 

Menu / Settings / Call Settings /Voicemail - you can just edit the number here, and it works fine.

Not sure if this is something unique to the Android setup on this phone if others don't have it?

heavy hitter
rjheald

[ Edited ]

ant wrote:

Hi rjheald,

Your post is really helpful.  I just wanted to let you know that on my X10 mini pro I am able to change the voicemail number to 443 and this is only running Android 1.6 - it is via 

Menu / Settings / Call Settings /Voicemail - you can just edit the number here, and it works fine.

Not sure if this is something unique to the Android setup on this phone if others don't have it?

I'm not sure - I was unable to change it in 2.1 on my Desire and have seen other people posting that they couldn't change it in 2.1 on other android phones, the settings are there but give an error when you try to change the number.  It's good you've already changed it now as 2.1 will be available for your phone soon if not already.

I'll update the post to say it's possible in 1.6, cheers for letting me know