Kudos: 12,889
Best Answers: 3,942
Best Answer

giffgaffer's guide to Blackberry

[ Edited ]

bbguide.png

LATEST NEWS

Blackberry 10 has launched read all about it here

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/BlackBerry-10-BB10-Top-5-new-features/ba-p/7627736

Do you get Service not enabled for this handset/missing Blackberry Maps

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Blackberry-Get-Your-Missing-Service-Books/t...

Official Blackberry FAQ

All official Blackberry FAQs and instructions are available here

Please note that the giffgaff Blackberry plan is NOT required for the latest BB10 devices which include the qwerty keyboard based Q10 and touchscreen based Z10. For more info on BB10 see this article

BB10.jpg

it is only needed for older models that use BB4, BB5, BB6 or BB7 

Buying the giffgaff Blackberry plan

Remember that this is only required for older BB4,5,6 and 7 Blackberry devices.

BB10 devices can access all services without the plan by using either PAYG credit or a goodybag containing either a capped or unlimited data allowance

A BB Plan consists of a minutes and text allowance, an internet allowance and also enables Blackberry services on your device. You cannot add Blackberry services to an existing live goodybag, or to use just with payg credit

Vist the topup page to purchase your chosen plan that includes a built in £2.50 additional charge for the Blackberry services 
https://giffgaff.com/buy 

Select Blackberry Plans from the screen shown below 

bbplan.png

Select your chosen goodybag value, then click Select to chose you chosen package

bbplan2.png

Review your selected choice before paying for the plan using either a credit/debit card or from your existing airtime balance

Once you have successfully purchased the Blackberry Plan, go to my giffgaff and you should see the goodybag plan and a Blackberry logo beneath it to indicate it is tied to that period

Once the plan goes live, your device should automatically be provisioned with the required Blackberry service books needed to use BBM, Browser , Email and MMS. There is no need to enter manual settings.

You should receive a text from Blackberry that reads 

regnow2.png

Your device's data connection indicator should display it's status at the top right corner of the screen

(open the spoiler for a description of each status)

Spoiler

3G

• Full wireless coverage with faster than EDGE data speeds.
  • You can send and receive email messages, personal identification number (PIN) messages, and Short Message Service (SMS) messages.
  • You can place and answer phone calls and transmit data at the same time.
  • You can browse web pages.

EDGE

• Full wireless coverage with high-speed data.
  • You can send and receive email messages, personal identification number (PIN) messages, and Short Message Service (SMS) messages.
  • You can place and answer phone calls.

edge/3g

• You can send and receive SMS messages.
  • You cannot send or receive email or PIN messages.
  • You cannot browse web pages.

GPRS

• Full wireless coverage.
  • You can send and receive email, PIN, and SMS messages.

gprs

GSM

Generally this should be all that is required and the device should then work, however often it is advisable to remove the battery from your phone( also known as a "battery pull" ), leave it out for 60 seconds, then reinsert it and allow the phone to restart to force the device to register with the network.

Blackberry Diagnostic Test (courtesy of ikhaan )

A Blackberry has a test menu to allow you to run a connection test to determine if your device is securely connected to the Blackberry service

OS 4/5 Devices

Go to options/Mobile network, press the BB logo, choose Diagnostics test, press BB logo again and press RUN... 

OS 6/7 Devices

Go to options/Network and connections/Mobile networks, press the BB logo, choose Diagnostics test, press BB logo again and press RUN... 

If you get YES in front of Connected to blackberry: YES, Blackberry PIN-PIN: YES, then your blackberry services are enabled.

If you get NO in front of Connected to blackberry: NO, Blackberry PIN-PIN: NO, then your blackberry services arent enabled.

If you still want, you can make sure that the device has the required service books and host tables

How to check host tables

On Version 4/5

Main Menu>Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table

On Version 6/7

Main Menu>Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table

You should see something similar to this

hrt.jpg

How to check service books

On Version 4/5

Main Menu>Options>Advanced Options>Service Book

On Version 6/7

Main Menu>Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Service book

You should see something similar to this

sb.jpg

If your device does not appear to have the required host routing tables and service books then try the following

Version 4/5

Main Menu>Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Press Blackberry button>Register Now>Battery pull

Version 6/7

Main Menu>Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table>Press Blackberry button>Register now>Battery Pull

If services still do not appear to work after consulting this or the official FAQ pages, then please raise a case with giffgaff using the Ask an Agent system

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Useful Guidance

Using the giffgaff Blackberry email portal

You can manage and create email accounts from your device, however there is also a handy web portal where you can perform mail setup, if you find it easier on a computer.

• On the device go to Setup > Email accounts > Press the Blackberry button > Create Username
  • Follow the prompts to create a secure administration account and password for the portal, you will also be asked to validate any passwords for mail accounts already setup on the device

Once this process is complete, go to http://GiffGaff.blackberry.com/ and you should now be able to use the Existing Users login section by entering your username and password created in the previous steps.

Once logged into the portal you will see the following screen from which you can now either add existing email accounts or even create a custom name@giffgaff.blackberry.com email address

The portal screen will look like this

Unknown.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I am Missing the Blackberry App World icon

If you are missing the icon to run this program, however it is definately installed on your deice, then you may need to uninstall it and then visit the Blackberry site to obtain a copy of the app

http://uk.blackberry.com/services/appworld/download.jsp

You can get an email link sent to you with the download location, or can obtain it via the website and install it through your Blackberry Desktop Manager software.

I have seen some issues with people being unable to download it via these options with 'unabled to load' errors so did some research and found the following advice

First try connecting via wi-fi and using the links via the Blackberry site

If that fails then refer to

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Curve/Error-80003-BB-Curve-8520-App-world-ID-insta...

• On your Blackberry, Go to Settings > Applications and make sure you select Add-on
  • Look for and highlight Blackberry App world in the list (mine showed 1.1.0.33 was installed)
  • If it is there, then click the Blackberry key, then select delete to remove the older non working/invisible version
  • From the Blackberry browser, download the correct file for your device operating system
  • OS 5 or above v3.0.1.29 http://santo.asia/repository/bb-file/BlackBerryAppWorld.3.0.1.29.OS5/AppWorld.jad
  • OS4.5  v2.1.0.39 http://www.mediafire.com/?0md51fh6ow1zcf1
  • The device will most likely require a restart after installing the app world

This should install a version of the App World to your handset, which appears to work. Once you have this installed, you can always check for upgrades to a later version ( I am now running v3.1.0.60 )

Service not enabled for this handheld / Missing Blackberry Maps

If you receive this message when trying to access Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, Yahoo, AOL or ICQ or are missing the icon for Blackberry Maps, then your device may not be receiving all required service books which enable these options. giffgaff are looking into the issue, however until they resolve it, here is a thread which provides downloadable copies of the service books to get them up and running http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Blackberry-Get-Your-Missing-Service-Books/t...

If you've got it flaunt it

Assuming you have got this far and everything is working, why not let your family, friends and colleagues know by using this swish giffgaff/blackberry wallpaper , just copy the 480x360px png file to your device and set as wallpaper.

giffrim.png

More wallpapers are available here

Blackberry Legacy Guide

The remainder of this guide was produced prior to the introduction of Blackberry services, and is designed to assist giffgaff members in getting the most from their Blackberry if they do not choose to use the Blackberry add-on 

Why are Blackberries different to other phones

Blackberry handsets are manufactured by Research In Motion (RIM).

RIM use a secure encrypted system for mail,messaging, and browsing which relies on all activity being routed through dedicated servers. Any service provider that wishes to offer full Blackberry support must install its own gateway server to allow handsets to connect to the RIM infrastructure

Instead of using locally edited profiles for things like gprs settings RIM use Service Books which are automatically delivered to the handset when it registers with the service provider.

What does work out of the box

You can use a Blackberry to make voice calls and texts with a giffgaff SIM

What doesn't work out of the box

The standard Blackberry Web Browser, Push Mail, Blackberry Messenger and MMS (Picture Messaging) will not work unless you have the £3 Blackberry Add on which must be purchased at the same time as a goodybag

Before you migrate to giffgaff

If you are planning on transferring from another service provider and still have access to Blackberry Browser and Blackberry Market place, then make sure you download any alternative applications such as opera browser before you migrate over to giffgaff. It will save you from having to fiddle with installing them via your desktop manager.

How to giffgaff a Blackberry without a Blackberry Plan

For people who don't wish to use a Blackberry plan and just wish to payg for their use, please refer to the following steps to still use Internet on your Blackberry

*** If you have bought the Blackberry Plan there is no need to perform these steps ***

The manual steps to configure the APN settings are as follows

For O/S 4 and 5 devices

• Go to the Home screen and click Options.
  • Click Advanced Options > TCP
  • Enter the APN giffgaff.com, user name giffgaff, and password password
  • Press the Menu key and select Save 

blackberrytcp.jpegblackberryapnsettings.jpegapnt.jpeg

For O/S 6 and 7 devices

Press the trackpad button

Open Tray

Select Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > TCP/IP

Enter the APN giffgaff.com , user name giffgaff and password password

Press the BB Menu key and select Save

blackberrydevice.png  blackberryadvsysset.png  blackberrytcp.png

Once this is done. you can use some alternative applications to provide access to certain basic functions 

Web Access

An alternative web browser such as Opera Mini can be used to provide web browser functionality.

To get a copy of Opera Mini to your PC for transferring to the Blackberry via the Blackberry Desktop Manager software...

Go to http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/blackberry/ for the Opera software

Connect your Blackberry to your computer with a USB data cable then use Blackberry Desktop Manager and the application loader and browse to the folder that contains the alx and cod files that Blackberry Desktop Manager needs to install to the handset.

Blackberry Standard Browser

There is a way of enabling the standard Blackberry Browser to access the web via the giffgaff.com tcp apn instead of BIS. This is so far known to work on the older v4 and 5 operating systems

It involves installing the missing browser service book to the device which you would normally get if you had a BIS subscription on your account. 

see woodyuk's post at http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Blackberry-without-BIS-project/td-p/1176837

Gmail on Blackberry

Once again courtesy of woodyuk, here is a thread which explains how to download and install an app to access gmail from your Blackberry

Facebook on Blackberry

Any versions of the Facebook app later than or equal to v1.7 installed on recent handsets or available from download from Facebook will not work via giffgaff's APN. Please refer to my post Facebook on Giffgaff with a Blackberry for a workaround involving downgrading your Facebook client software to version 1.6

How to check or amend the giffgaff SMS Message Centre number on a Blackberry  (version 4 or 5 devices)

Scroll to Options, press the trackball

Scroll to SMS press the trackball

Scroll to Service Centre, enter +447802002606

Press the BlackBerry key

Scroll to Save and press the trackball

How to check or amend the giffgaff SMS Message Centre number on a Blackberry (version 6 or 7 devices)

Scroll to All, then press the Trackpad key

Scroll to the Text Messages icon, then press the Trackpad key

Press the Menu key

Scroll to Options, then press the Trackpad key

Scroll to the Service Centre field, then enter +447802002606

Press the Menu key

Scroll to Save, then press the Trackpad key.

Corporate Blackberries

People who have a Blackberry that was previously setup on a corporate account using Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) may find that due to security policies still in place on their handset, that some options may be blocked.

For example a member reported they couldn't send SMS text messages despite their sim being active and having the correct message centre number, the solution was to perform a full factory reset to remove the policies

see http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/Blackberry-8520-cannot-send-SMS-ca...

jevison
Topics: 48
Kudos: 290
Best Answers: 22

Re: giffgaffer's guide to Blackberry

[ Edited ]

Very helpful post, useful for those like me who haven't a clue about Blackberry.

Least now we can help a bit more for those in need with their BB phones.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

Music for life. Forever, Chicane.
Got a question about Giffgaff and iPhone 4? Head to the iPhone 4 FAQ!
essexmate
Kudos: 1,012
Best Answers: 13

Excellent post Darren. It's nice to get things all neat and tidy in one place. I'm sure it will help a lot of people considering giffgaff.

iPhone guideofficial giffgaff nanoSIM with £5 free creditOrder a microSIM with £5 free creditOrder a giffgaff SIM
apprentice
colin

That really was very informative. I'm sure this will fix confusion with potential gaffers and blackberrys

Thanks
darrenpainter
Hope I've helped :smileyhappy:
newcomer
petewiggins

This is irratating, i have downloaded 4.7v blackberry manager and then the correct opera mini for my 8320 curve but the opera files (ALX  and COD) do not show up on the add/remove browse section of the blackberry manager. When i search for the files in my documents i find,

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user/My%20Documents/Downloads/opera-mini-4.2.20663-advanced-en...

but it is not showing the symbol and my computer wont let me open the files. I am stuck annoyed and ...

Thanks Pete

newcomer
petewiggins

This is irratating, i have downloaded 4.7v blackberry manager and then the correct opera mini for my 8320 curve but the opera files (ALX and COD) do not show up on the add/remove browse section of the blackberry manager. When i search for the files in my documents i find, opera-mini-4.2.20663-advanced-en-gb-fw4.0/operette-hifi-en-gb-nojsr75.alx

But it is not showing the symbol and my computer wont let me open the files. I am stuck annoyed and i am tempted to give up and buy a sim only o2 or vodaphone deal

Thanks Pete

rhinoman
Topics: 3
Kudos: 213
Best Answers: 39

Did you extract the opera mini alx and cod files from the zip or are you browsing into the zip file to see the alx file?

If you haven't extracted them you need to find opera-mini-4.2.20663-advanced-en-gb-fw4.0.zip in Windows Explorer, right-click on it and choose Extract all.  This will create a new folder witrh the files in it.

beginner
sporran

[ Edited ]

From Crackberry.com, another  web browser to try,If you don't  like Opera, is Bolt ,  http://www.boltbrowser.com .

Seems to have some really good features, I downloaded it to my Blackberry 9000, and it works really well. Web pages appear as they should, like on a pc, Has links to Facebook,Twitter and Myspace, also supports HTML 5 !

Topics: 15
Kudos: 62
Best Answers: 10

Thanks. I Have A BlackBerry but I think I will leave it with my T-Mobile sim card for the moment. Wait till giffgaff get BIS. And btw. I think that £5 a month would be suitable for giffgaff as it it just for the blackberry service and other providers can give you it plus unlimited internet for £5. But I am heppy to pay for my internet since giffgaff is so good.

Please Kudos me if I helped! :smileyvery-happy:
newcomer
dirtybassline

sfe fo dis veryy imformativee :smileyvery-happy: