Tips & Advice

jevison
Topics: 48
Kudos: 290
Best Answers: 22

iPhone 4 FAQ

[ Edited ]

Now there have been many people asking all sorts of Giffgaff questions, in relation to the shiny new iPhone 4, I thought I would create this FAQ for all the newcomers, and the others unsure about this and that.

I will be updating this FAQ as more questions arise to the forums. If you feel there should be a question listed but it isn't, feel free to post in this topic with your question and I'll pop it in! Alternatively, you can now download the 'Giffgaffer's guide to the iPhone 4' here (please right-click and 'save as'), courtesy of essexmate.

Anyway, here you go! :smileyhappy:

Q: Where can I buy a unlocked iPhone 4?

A: You can buy a official unlocked handset from Apple directly. Visit their website for more information.

Q: Will Giffgaff even work on iPhone 4?

A: At this time it is unclear whether or not Giffgaff will support the iPhone 4 due to many reasons. ncampbell (a rather friendly member service agent) previously posted this message in regards:

We do not know if the new iPhone will support giffgaff (regarding specific internet features and connectivity rules or quite simply accepting the giffgaff SIM).

We'll just have to wait until the phone is out, and someone tries to use their Giffgaff SIM in the handset itself to confirm.

A: Thanks to danielclo1il, we can now confirm that iPhone 4 will work with Giffgaff. Happy days!

Q: Will Giffgaff being producing MicroSIMs if the network can support the phone?

A: No, but there is a possibility this could happen in the future. If you wish to support the idea, please click here and Kudos the idea (click on the arrow). The more people who do, the more chance of it becoming a reality. 

In the mean time, you can either make your own MicroSIM with a bit of DIY (there are many guides online if you Google, here's one to get you going. Alternatively, you can now download the MicroSIM cutting template), or you can request for the specially designed SIM cutter tool to be posted to your front door by clicking here.

Q: Will I be able to have my iPhone 4 'Giffgaffed'?

A: At the moment, no. Tobyriding's method to install all the settings you need in order for all the Giffgaff services to function won't work. Simply because the new operating system on the iPhone 4 is different to the older versions.

As explained by Tobyriding: it will work is if giffgaff 'sign' the file, in simple terms if they make the file official with Apple.

You'll just have to input the settings yourself (that's if the iPhone 4 will work with Giffgaff of course).

A: Check back soon, we think Toby has cracked it!

A: Giffgaff and O2 are currently working together to release the file designed to install the Giffgaff settings automatically. We've been told it should be available very soon!

A: Sadly, there is to never be an official carrier file as tobyriding has stated here. Bad times! :smileyindifferent:

Q: What will I have to do to manually put Giffgaff's settings in?

A: If you've had to manually put the settings in before into an iPhone, it won't be much different putting them into the new iPhone. If it's your first time using an iPhone, from the home screen tap, 'Settings' > 'General' > 'Network' > 'Cellular Data Network'.

Q: Ok, now what?

A: Again, if you've used Giffgaff on an iPhone before, the settings will be the same to put in. If not, doesn't matter too much. Tap on each of the fields and type in the following:

Cellular Data:

APN: giffgaff.com

Username: giffgaff

Password: password

VIsual Voicemail:

APN: giffgaff.com

Username: giffgaff

Password: password

MMS:

APN: giffgaff.com

Username: giffgaff

Password: password

MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195:8080

MMS Max Message Size: 307200

MMS UA Prof URL: [Blank]

Q: Is there going to be a Giffgaff app to check my balance and other things?

A: Indeed there is! But it's not being developed by the network itself. We have danielclo1il to thank for creating the app, it's currently still in development and will hopefully be supporting iOS4 by the time it's released. Please keep checking http://www.igaff.co.uk/iphone/ for updates.

A: iGaff is still in development... [Has now been cancelled]

A: 'Mygiffgaff', created by confidence allows you to check your balance, access and post on the Giffgaff forums, and has the 'Spread the Word' feature to let your friends know about the network when on the go. More features are to arrive soon.

The app is (and always will be) free to download from the App Store, click here to get it!

Check out the recent blog post from Vincent about 'Mygiffgaff' and a Doodle Jump styled Giffgaff SIM game (it's quite good!).

Q: Is Giffgaff going to mind if I jailbreak my iPhone 4?

A: Nope, not at all! As long as you don't hack the device in order to tether it to your computer as a modem, it's all gravy.

Q: I've just activated my SIM but it displays O2 as the carrier instead of Giffgaff, what gives?

A: This is normal. Some phones will display Giffgaff and others will show O2. If this happens to be really bugging you and your iPhone is jailbroken, there's a tweak you can install called 'Fake Operator' which allows you to change the name of the carrier to whatever you fancy within the Settings app..preferably 'Giffgaff' eh? :smileywink:

Q: Should I install the carrier updates when prompted to by iTunes?

A: Well, yes and no.. You see by selecting yes, it will change the iPhone's network settings to O2's latest configuration and you will have to manually change the settings back to Giffgaff's settings (luckily you've got the settings at hand, look above). If you choose to ignore it and select no, iTunes is going to keep prompting you the same ruddy question nearly everytime you connect your device to your computer until it drives you insane and the 'yes' button is begging to be clicked (I know this from personal experience).

Q: I've been robbed! 4p has magically disappeared from my credit!?

A: Whoa there, take a breather! When you activate your iPhone 4, a text will automatically be sent to Apple to configure FaceTime. Unfortunately, there is nothing to stop this from happening. Sorry!

Q: My question isn't listed here..  :smileysad:

A: I'm sorry to hear that! :smileysurprised: You can always create a new topic in the Ask the Community board and someone will get back to you shortly! Just remember to name the topic something other than 'iPhone 4 problem'. That way other users can search for the answer to the same problem you're experiencing, much faster!

Music for life. Forever, Chicane.
Got a question about Giffgaff and iPhone 4? Head to the iPhone 4 FAQ!
newcomer
anz786

Re: iPhone 4 FAQ

thanks 

it helped alot

rookie
peteboardman

Nice job. Some suggested additions:

Q: Why does my iPhone still say O2 in the top menu after I restart?

A: This is normal. One day soon it will say 'giffgaff'.

Q: Should I install the carrier updates when prompted to by iTunes?

A: Not at the moment. If you do, you'll have to enter all the settings again. (The voice of experience there.) One day soon you will be able to accept carrier updates.

Note that the mmsc setting you give is slightly different from the one given in essexmate's fine PDF. May not be important....

To be honest, with the available tariffs on giffgaff, I'm surprised that iPhone users use any other network...

Toodle pip.

newcomer
pierce_arnold

I've put the settings in manually but it still won't allow me to use 3G
academic
callumacrae

Addition:

Q: 4p of my credit has vanished, why?
A: When you activate the iPhone 4, it sends a text to Apple to configure Facetime. Unfortunately, this costs :smileysad:

Nice post, thanks :smileyhappy:

~Callum
Why I left giffgaff: my (not so great) experience with the giffgaff agents: http://pastebin.com/hDy2izfy
novice
messi

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I've manually inputted the settings, and the internet works.

However, when i reset the iPhone, the old settings reappear.

Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

essexmate
Kudos: 1,012
Best Answers: 13

messi wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I've manually inputted the settings, and the internet works.

However, when i reset the iPhone, the old settings reappear.

Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Hi messi

Read this reply.

iPhone guideofficial giffgaff nanoSIM with £5 free creditOrder a microSIM with £5 free creditOrder a giffgaff SIM
mba_263
Topics: 70
Kudos: 443
Best Answers: 79

very good and accurate ! :smileyvery-happy:
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
If you want your free Sim simply follow the below link, and gain yourself free £5 credit !!: http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/mba_263
jevison
Topics: 48
Kudos: 290
Best Answers: 22

Apologies for neglecting this FAQ, it's now been updated. :smileyhappy:
Music for life. Forever, Chicane.
Got a question about Giffgaff and iPhone 4? Head to the iPhone 4 FAQ!
newcomer
situl21

Many thanks- Very useful.