Tips & Guides

heavy hitter
rjheald
Best Answer

Android Settings

[ Edited ]

Hi all

I've managed to get my Desire working on a single apn rather than the 2 seperate apns we've been using up to now.  I've tested MMS messages, Friendstream, Weather, News, Market and the default browser - all work fine.

Please let me know in this thread if you get any problems, or if it works okay for you.

UPDATE - Confirmed working for: HTC Desire, HTC Hero, HTC Dream, HTC Wildfire, Samsung Galaxy S, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy Apollo, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Sony Xperia X10 Mini, Motorola DEXT, LG GT540, Samsung Galaxy Europa, ZTE Blade

1. Press the Menu key
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Wireless & networks
  4. Tap Mobile networks
  5. Tap Access Point Names
  6. Tap a giffgaff APN (if there are no APNs go to 10)
  7. Press the Menu key
  8. Tap Delete APN
  9. Repeat 6, 7 and 8 until no giffgaff APNs remain
  10.  Press the Menu key
  11.  Tap New APN
  12.  Tap Name then tap the text box and enter giffgaff then tap OK
  13.  Tap APN then tap the text box and enter giffgaff.com then tap OK
  14.  Tap Username then tap the text box and enter giffgaff then tap OK
  15.  Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK
  16.  Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002 then tap OK
  17.  Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
  18.  Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
  19.  Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK
  20.  Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK
  21.  Press the Menu key
  22.  Tap Save
  23.  Tap your new account so a green dot appears next to it
  24.  Press the Back key four times to return to the standby screen.
  25.  Turn you phone off and back on again

For a free sim with £5 credit click here
To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
dm
newcomer
dm

Re: HTC Desire Updated Settings

Crackin', thanks :robothappy:

Been having a right headscratch trying to get connected when I'm not running on WiFi at home ...this one's done the trick nicely.

Seems completely ripping out any existing APNs was what finally tipped the balance.

One happy newbie making his first forum post & giving kudos. Cheers!

graduate
billycraig

Hi guys, just thought I'd point out that this also works on the HTC Dream (G1) because it is also on the Android OS.

All Android phones should work with these settings. This includes Dell Streak, HTC Wildfire, HTC Desire, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 & X10 Mini, HTC Hero, HTC Legend and many more.

I don't know if the owner of the thread can rename the thread, just because it's a solved answer for ALL Android-operated phones. Just a suggestion :smileyhappy:

My name is Dean Craig, not Billy Craig.
Black HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1/Google phone) - Android 2.3 ("COS" rom) - Owned since May '09
Click here to view my Christmas giffgaff packet designs!
heavy hitter
rjheald

billycraig wrote:

Hi guys, just thought I'd point out that this also works on the HTC Dream (G1) because it is also on the Android OS.

I have added the HTC Dream to the confirmed list, thanks for the info.

All Android phones should work with these settings. This includes Dell Streak, HTC Wildfire, HTC Desire, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 & X10 Mini, HTC Hero, HTC Legend and many more.

I hope it will work for all these phones and will add them when they are confirmed working

I don't know if the owner of the thread can rename the thread, just because it's a solved answer for ALL Android-operated phones. Just a suggestion :smileyhappy:

I don't want to rename the thread just yet until I get more confirmations from people with different phones but I am adding tags when phones are confirmed so it should come up if they search for their phone.

To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
graduate
billycraig

Alright fair enough. It's because I'm an Android developer so I know every nut and cranny of Android! So this will work on every Android system but hey, it's your thread, I don't want to takeover!

Good work though :smileyvery-happy:

Black HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1/Google phone) - Android 2.3 ("COS" rom) - Owned since May '09
newcomer
amikey

Works for my HTC Hero.... but I can't get back into APN after having set it up!

heavy hitter
rjheald

amikey wrote:

Works for my HTC Hero.... but I can't get back into APN after having set it up!

Did you follow the last step of rebooting your phone?

graduate
billycraig

If you can't edit the APN, merely click on the name and it should enter the edit settings, whether the APN is turned on or not.

newcomer
mtbull1

[ Edited ]

This sounded like a good idea but just tried it 1. Deleted the APN's added the new one tried to save it and now can't get back into the APN's, I keep getting a message ''the application settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped working unexpectedly please try again". I have tried turning off and on at which point I'm getting a Notification ' SIM card changed tap here to change your settings" when I do that I get the 1st message again! and now my phone won't work!......any ideas?

later.......

ok this is strange, everything still works text, phone calls, internet but I still can't get into the APN settings, still getting the message  ''the application settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped working unexpectedly please try again"

consultant
paul_shirley

If you can still get to the APN screen try 'Menu/Reset to default'. If you can't, download "APN Backup & Restore" over WiFi from the market, use it to delete the APN's and you should get back in.

Either add a new APN or 'reset', delete all but one and edit it to giffgaff settings.