Tips & Guides

newcomer
leeweedon

Unlocking an iPhone 4S (Orange UK)

Unlocking an iPhone 4S (Orange UK)

So I have been trying to get my Orange iPhone 4S to be unlocked so I can use my GiffGaff sim card.

It is, unless your PHONE (not sim) is out of contract. i.e. if the device is over 12 months old, impossible.

From what I have discovered there are two ways of doing this; JailBreak or Permanently factory unlock.

Permanently factory unlock: This is where the IMEI of the device is changed on the Apple database to allow all sims. This happens by Apple updating their DB, your phone getting a notification and then connection to iTunes. This is a one of and requires no further configuration. This unlock stays no matter what. (You are free to upgrade, downgrade or restore your phone as you wish)

The first port of call is to go to Orange, but unless you phone is older than the contract you initially took out they will not do it without an

Lots of website offer this, but cannot do it for Orange locked phones. (Other networks seem fine)

I have used the following website, both very offering and promising they can do it but they fail and then mysteriously become hard to contact to get your money back.

Do not use the following websites as they will not work.

http://www.quickphoneunlock.com/

http://www.unlock-your-phones.com/

JailBreak: Tethered or un-tethered is unlocking your phone by using software that bypasses the Apple ID/Detailing that stops the SIM registering with the network.

By doing this you cannot easily upgrade the IOS if an update is release. You would also have to re-run the JailBreak process if you need to restore your phone. (Tethered JailBreak would need to be re-run every time the phone is turned off)

As far as I have discovered so far it is not possible to JailBreak an iPhone 4 / 4s / 5, or any device with a A5 processor if you wish to use IOS6 or later.

I’ve tried this with 3 different phones, and iPhone 4 and two iPhone 4s – The result is always FAIL.

I have tried using Absinthe and RedSn0w, both application used to JailBreak iPhones.

I have downloaded various IPSW files of various versions, but none of them installed sue to several different errors.

JailBreaking 5.1.1 is possible, but Apple has stopped signing all IPSW files to prevent using from rolling back from 6.x. All I can say is good luck with that.

Conclusion:

If your iPhone is locked on Orange and it is out of contact, ring Orange on 150 or 350 and they will unlock it for around £20. However, it does take up to 4 weeks. Every other operator is around 48 hours.  Will work no perfectly.

If you have an iPhone 4 or 4s that is locked to Orange but is still ‘under contract’ Orange will expect you to pay an ‘Early Termination’ fee. This depends on how long you have left on your contact and the original deal. Expensive, but will work.

If you try an agent, be it online, eBay a phone shop or market stall they will be dodgy and probably up to nothing but stealing your money. They will not have the ability to factory unlock your phone. They will offer a JailBreak solution, which won’t work; if it does it will be an unreliable and unstable version of IOS. – Waste of money / Con.

If you manually try and JailBreak your phone, either tethered or un-tethered it will just fail. – Waste of time and energy.

If you have any serious questions please post or PM me.

Please don't post pointless replies about taking it to a shop, or ringing orange... Read the post and only post relevant FACTS.

This applies to ORANGE locked phones, no other networks.

Kind regards

Lee

----------------------------------------------------------------------
kbates
Topics: 297
Kudos: 479
Best Answers: 38

Re: Unlocking an iPhone 4S (Orange UK)

simple take it to a mobile phone shop they will then unlock it for a small charge 10-15 pound varies on shop to shop
Get a free giffgaff Sim
graduate
pad4

thanks for the info
Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
leeweedon

Kbates - Read the post.   mobile phone shops can only sort an unstable, unreliable jailbroken IOS, probably running IOS5.1.1

Kind regards

Lee

trainee
garethtrower

Mobile shops maybe able to help
newcomer
leeweedon

Another fact-less post.

Name one shop in the UK that can provide either a fully JailBroken iPhone 4S that has been locked to Orange, or a shop that can factory unlock orange locked iphone 4 or 4S..... 

Kind regards

Lee

newcomer
leeweedon

"Orange/T-Mobile UK unlocks are rumoured to resume in the next 10 days , please note times are estimates provided by the suppliers and so are not guarantees"

It seems there may be progress on this in the future, but I'm not holding my breathe.   That is from a website that actually isn't trying to con you - http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk 

Kind regards

Lee

newcomer
tommyjmason

i took my iphone 3gs to a phone shop and they said it would cost £100 to unlock , mjust as much as i paid for the phone  so going to try the link at the bottom of this page much more reasonable 

thank you very much

tommy

newcomer
leeweedon

The links at the bottom of the page will not help as they cannot unlock Orange iPhones. I have been in contact with one of the companys who say they will be able to do it in 10 days time.

Kind regards

Lee

newcomer
leeweedon

Unlocking for Orange 4s Phones is now available but at £109.

http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/iphone_unlock.php

Kind regards

Lee