SIM Swap allows you to transfer your giffgaff number to a brand new SIM card (including existing goodybags and credits)
How does SIM Swap work?
SIM Swap is the process of replacing your existing SIM with a new SIM, moving your existing number etc to the new SIM. (NB. SIM swap does not change your number. To do this, see this article instead).
Before you start, you need a giffgaff SIM to fit your phone which has never been activated; for the best results use a SIM which is less than 6 months old. If you don't have an unactivated SIM at hand, you can order a new SIM of any size here.
To perform a SIM Swap:
- Back-up any contacts, texts and other data saved on your current SIM to your phone memory, as these cannot be transferred through SIM Swap.
- Go to the SIM activation page.
- Enter the 6 digit activation code of the new SIM card, and click 'Continue'.
If you have lost the plastic card on which the activation code was printed then simply click 'Can't find your activation code?' and enter the 19-digit code of your SIM serial number instead. This is printed on your SIM card just before 3Ggg1 for 3G SIM cards or 4Ggg4 for 4G SIM cards. If you have a Nano SIM, enter 894411 followed by the 13-digit code found on your SIM.
- Log into your account if prompted.
- This is where SIM Swap starts. It will ask you to confirm that you want to swap SIMs. (You need to double check the serial numbers to confirm you've logged into the correct account.)
After choosing "Yes, I want to swap my SIM" then "Yes, I'm sure", your old SIM will be deactivated, and activation of the new SIM will begin. This may take anything from a few minutes to 24 hours - the 'norm' is around 30 minutes.
- Put the new SIM into your phone. Turn the phone off/on at 30 minute intervals until you get signal and the SIM starts working
- You have completed SIM Swap! Enjoy.
Feeling that a video might be needed, member flaxvert prepared this amazing tutorial:
Can I use SIM Swap to replace my lost / stolen SIM?
When you lose your SIM card, you'll want to find the quickest solution to have your number back and SIM Swap looks like the best road. It is advisable only if you meet the two following conditions:
- You don't need to bar your phone
- You already have an unactivated giffgaff SIM handy
If you don't match these two conditions, you should order a replacement SIM through the Lost & Stolen procedure. As soon as you have ordered a replacement SIM, you will not be able to perform a SIM Swap.
If you try to perform a SIM Swap before receiving the replacement SIM it will fail, but your replacement sim will be unaffected and you will still be able to activate the replacement sim when it arrives.
- You can only do a SIM Swap between 4:30am and 9:30pm.
- Once started, SIM Swap is non-reversible (your old SIM will be rendered useless).
- SIM swap does not change your mobile number
- SIMs used in SIM swaps do not qualify for, and will not generate, any bonuses or payback points even when originally linked to an affiliate account
We'd love to hear what you think of this article. Really. We mean it.
Let the community know what you would do to improve this article.