Welcome & Join

newcomer
a1mark

Cheapest handset to allow wireless tethering

Hi

Following on from my earlier post where I now see that I need to buy the £12.50 3GB gigabag package for wireless tethering... I've decided that the best route is to buy an additional handset on ebay just to act as the tethering device. My current mobile is an original Desire and I know that it can do the tethering bit but I don't want to tie it up. My next thought was to buy a cheap pone on ebay and use that (might double up for a spare). But thinking about it I decided that there would probably be other cheaper less popular mobiles that could still act as a tethering device. That's all it needs to do so no need for anything flashy.

Here's the question, does anyone know what the cheapest (I think android 2.2+ is needed) likely handset is that would meet my requirements?

Cheers - Mark

wman2
Topics: 206
Kudos: 2,701
Best Answers: 1,177

Re: Cheapest handset to allow wireless tethering

novice
jackokingofpop

You could see if you can pick the htc wildfire up cheap. That's got tethering and is a decent phone.
almashhud
Topics: 28
Kudos: 160
Best Answers: 43

The Samsung Galaxy Y only £70 at carphone warehouse or the galaxy europa (mayy need some tweaks) or the LG Optimus (only about £60 on eBay
If I helped choose mine as the answer and please give me kudos too (if I deserve them of course :smileyhappy:) Click below if you want a FREE sim with £5 FREE credit!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
a1mark

Hi Thanks for this. The thing is, it doesnt need to be a decent phone. Any old phone will do, all it needs to be half decent at is at tethering. Let's say as good or better than  the Desire. All i want to use it for is as wireless broadband back-up for Virgin Media. (I am encountering very flaky VM service and anticipate it will last until April 25th).

Cheers - Mark

wman2

Yes I would say a cheap android chinese tablet/phone would be good for you, alternatively the Samsung Galaxy Europa/Samsung Galaxy Y would also work. Your other option is to get a cheap original used iPhone off eBay which would support tethering
graduate
giffgaff_rocks

yup, htc wildfire is one of the lower end phones, or just get used phone from ebay?
contributor
paddy_o_furniture

t-mobile rapport £40 @ asda http://direct.asda.com/T-Mobile-Rapport-Android-Smart-Phone/008717374,default,pd.html (needs unlocking £10ish)

Huawei Blaze £59.95 (+10 top up or no top up if you upgrade on one of major networks) at p4u http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_details.asp?ItemKey=564171&cid=GoogleBase likely to GSM stock so unbranded and unlocked

wman2

Good find paddy! The rapport seems like your current best choice, it can be unlocked for £6.50 here (this item should work as it is model huawei u8180) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCK-CODE-HuaWei-U8180-U8650-ascend-x-4g-u8510-/180818490837?pt=LH_Defau...
marvel
andy0

Does it need to be a phone at all?

You could just get a dongle. There's one at O2, which when combined with cashback from referral via Quidco or Topcashback ot works out cheaper than free.

If you are thinking it can be useful at times as a spare phone as well, then maybe secondhand. And Android isn't the only choice. For use with Nokias there's a program called Joikuspot, with free and premium versions. 

I'd suggest also getting a lead to power the phone from the PC, if you don't already have one, as otherwise the phone battery goes flat in an hour or less.