Welcome & Join

beginner
baronempire

giffgaff review - new user experience

So your considering on signing up to giffgaff. This has been my experience so far. I plan on updating it for 2 weeks so that new customers can have a good idea of what they should expect. My experience may not be the average user experience, it is personal to me and I cannot vouch how others have faired. Last thursday I ordered a sim card online and it had reached my door by monday. I was impressed with the speed at which this was sent out. It came in simple packaging with clear instructions on how to set up the sim online. 'Online', this is important to realise. giffgaff has no telephone support and no live online chat. Your only means to customer service or support is via email. If you like to be able to speak to an operator at your own whim then giffgaff is not for you. Having followed the simple instructions online, I activated the sim without any hassle and added a 35 pound goody bag (now only 17.50) to my account. That was yesterday morning at 11.14AM. Now over 24 hours later, I still do not have a working sim card or any credit on my account. My line is dead. Here is where the forum kicks in, I ran a few searches and found other posts with activation and or goody bag problems. None of them had a solution. However, I have seen that most issues have been resolved in 4 days (some longer). I tried to contact support, but that function of the site was down. After some googling I found the email for customer support and sent off my query. Still no response. Frustrated, I created a thread, I got many lobbyists praising giffgaff and offering advice (some of which was patronising), but no one had any real answers. Eventually a giffgaff staffer responded that support was looking into it. No time frame and that I had to be patient and that they are swamped with new customers. Its now well over 24 hours that I have signed up and have no service and no response from support. So far, customer service has been dismal and the fact that you cant speak to someone is very frustrating. It would not be as bad if responses were swift or there was a LIVE CHAT. I would be interested to know how many giffgaff paid staff handle the emails and what the ratio is to customer numbers. As I get the feeling they are under staffed to save costs. I scheduled a port in number transfer for July 22nd so I will let you know how that goes. Although, since my line is not active yet I am not sure what will happen with that.
instructor
brradley

Re: giffgaff review - new user experience

It's unfortunate that you are having problems, although there are activation and goodybag problems at the moment. There has been a sudden boost of traffic from MSE, which has probably put pressure on the system, and is therefore causing these errors. I hope everything gets sorted for you.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
visionary
anthonydclark

I understand your frustrations but sometimes things dont run smoothly and companies do have issues at times like others.
i personally never had an issue with the company been with since march and all i can give is praise for them. yes there was a huge marketing campaign on martin lewis forum and they have been swampped with new users.

its not normally like this i promise you that.

all you can do is keep repending your email back to agents your issue will have a reference number on it.

one option to check is something called mygiffgaff above which is your dashboard and go to payments.

if your payment has been declined for some reason the sim will not become live as its needs payment on it. if its pending or accepted and still you are not displaying a new number then resend the message to the agent. there are a variety of agents who come on the walls also and you can private them to look at your account too.

sorry if you feel its not lived up to your expectations but give the guys a chance to sort the issue out as you have read they are swamped with new users coming on board.
heavy hitter
rjheald

I appreciate your frustration at your situation but would just like to let you know that this is not normal for giffgaff.  I sent a sim to a friend on Saturday which he received yesterday.  He got home from work and activated it with a goodybag last night - within a few minutes the sim was active and the goodybag live.  My own sim that I activated a couple of weeks ago, and my 2 lads sims also went live straight away.

The problem you're having stems from the huge interest generated by the moneysavingexpert email that was sent out last week.  I believe giffgaff ran out of sims and had to rush an extra order to cope with demand.  This new batch of sims wasn't added on to the system yet when people started to try and activate them on Monday.

The staff have since been trying to add these on to the system at the same time as sort out the accounts of people that had already tried to activate.  If you have contacted them then your request will be in a queue and your account will be sorted out.

I am sorry your account activation didn't go smoothly but I say again this is not the norm for giffgaff and is why so many users defend giffgaff on the forums, sometimes a little too zealously I admit.

I am not a giffgaff agent or associated with them in any way, I am just saying that mine and many other's experience of giffgaff has been faultless.

For a free sim with £5 credit click here
To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
beginner
baronempire

Finally over 24 hours later a response. "Sorry to hear you’re having a problem with your giffgaff account and I can tell you this is the result of a bug in the system which has caused an error on your account and this is also stopping you from seeing your giffgaff goodybag details. This has been escalated off to the giffgaff Tech Team and I would hope to have a resolution back from them ASAP. Again apologies for the inconvenience this has caused and thanks for your patience while I get this issue resolved for you."
motivator
simon69c

It is very disappointing that so many people seem to be having problems with activation and/or initial goodybag purchases at the moment.  First impressions count, so this is one area where giffgaff really ought to be making sure they get it right - for everyone!  This is especially important for a new company like giffgaff, because many new customers may be unsure as to what to expect from them and be a bit wary of whether they will be up to the job - and falling at the first hurdle gives out the worst possible message, and it is compounded when you cannot even use the Ask an agent feature until your SIM is activated (why is this restriction even there?!).

Although I enjoy a pretty much faultless service myself, It makes me wary to recommend giffgaff to others if I think there's a good chance they will run into problems at even the first stage.

Get a free Giffgaff SIM / microSIM
beginner
flexy

I'm another person who has been let down by my the first impressions of the giffgaff service. Everything was fine until I activated the SIM. As things stand I've handed over money and received nothing in the way of service yet today.

It would be very helpful if the people behind this venture could temporarily emerge from the ether and confirm what the problem is and what they're doing to resolve it. The silence is deafening.

---
If I helped then feel free to click the little star on the left :smileyhappy:
newcomer
lee10

well said mate!

allan1954
Topics: 261
Kudos: 1,295
Best Answers: 322

baronempire wrote:
So your considering on signing up to giffgaff. This has been my experience so far. I plan on updating it for 2 weeks so that new customers can have a good idea of what they should expect. My experience may not be the average user experience, it is personal to me and I cannot vouch how others have faired. Last thursday I ordered a sim card online and it had reached my door by monday. I was impressed with the speed at which this was sent out. It came in simple packaging with clear instructions on how to set up the sim online. 'Online', this is important to realise. giffgaff has no telephone support and no live online chat. Your only means to customer service or support is via email. If you like to be able to speak to an operator at your own whim then giffgaff is not for you. Having followed the simple instructions online, I activated the sim without any hassle and added a 35 pound goody bag (now only 17.50) to my account. That was yesterday morning at 11.14AM. Now over 24 hours later, I still do not have a working sim card or any credit on my account. My line is dead. Here is where the forum kicks in, I ran a few searches and found other posts with activation and or goody bag problems. None of them had a solution. However, I have seen that most issues have been resolved in 4 days (some longer). I tried to contact support, but that function of the site was down. After some googling I found the email for customer support and sent off my query. Still no response. Frustrated, I created a thread, I got many lobbyists praising giffgaff and offering advice (some of which was patronising), but no one had any real answers. Eventually a giffgaff staffer responded that support was looking into it. No time frame and that I had to be patient and that they are swamped with new customers. Its now well over 24 hours that I have signed up and have no service and no response from support. So far, customer service has been dismal and the fact that you cant speak to someone is very frustrating. It would not be as bad if responses were swift or there was a LIVE CHAT. I would be interested to know how many giffgaff paid staff handle the emails and what the ratio is to customer numbers. As I get the feeling they are under staffed to save costs. I scheduled a port in number transfer for July 22nd so I will let you know how that goes. Although, since my line is not active yet I am not sure what will happen with that.

kudos for all that typing.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
former giff-staffer
vincent

flexy wrote:

I'm another person who has been let down by my the first impressions of the giffgaff service. Everything was fine until I activated the SIM. As things stand I've handed over money and received nothing in the way of service yet today.

It would be very helpful if the people behind this venture could temporarily emerge from the ether and confirm what the problem is and what they're doing to resolve it. The silence is deafening.

Fair enough, I'll put together a detailed description of everything that's going on.

But please be aware that this is only affecting a small proportion of our new members. It's just because there are so many joining at once, that this seems a bit bloated so to speak.

Anyway, give me a few minutes and I'll post up what is happening behind the giffgaff scenes.

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon