Welcome & Join

ibringkarma
Topics: 48
Kudos: 143
Best Answers: 24

isle of Wight poor signal

Just spent the weekend in isle of Wight. Word of warning signal there is very poor. Mrs had a bit more luck with three. Just something to consider if you live there or going there for some time and need your phone
Get a free giffgaff Sim
bonusball

Re: isle of Wight poor signal

Check signal before you travel get a payg sim with coverage for the area.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-Notice-board/Find-out-the-service-status-of-your-ar...

coach
alyamani

I believe GG partners in Isle of Man are

Manx Telecom (Manx)   GSM 900

Manx Telecom (Manx)   3G 2100

Thanks anyway for the info.

wenklaw
Topics: 17
Kudos: 128
Best Answers: 16

[ Edited ]

according to o2 coverage http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker the 2g coverage is near as 100% of the isle of wight indoors and outdoors although you have to appreciate dead spots will always exist particularly indoors.  2100 mnhz 3g is poor, basically covering a small part of the the north of the island but 900mhz 3g (3G900) is or should be pretty decent covering the majority of the island.

is your phone switched to 3g only as that would explain your signal issue particularly if your handset isnt 3G900 compatible? I always try switching to 2g only mode if the 3g signal is poor as i generally find the threshold that my mobile hangs onto 3g isnt particularly high although the calls do tend to handover from 3g to 2g fairly reliably.....sorry mate if i am teaching you to suck eggs!!!

if the above isnt the cause of the problem it suggests some kind of network fault or upgrade was in progess, although i had a quick look and couldnt find anything. (it was only a quick scan though) 

oh and alyamani the poster is asking about the isle of wight (covered by 02UK) not the isle of man which is classed as roaming.

chaperon
gypsy

yes it is poor down here.

but it dose work.

but not so good with iphones.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
regandeddie
Topics: 6
Kudos: 149
Best Answers: 45

I'm normally fine for signal (2g) but 3g signal coverage is very limited - my monthly data usage is around the 100mb mark as a result; home is one of the few places I can get 3g and I use wifi there anyway! 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
aaronjlaw
Kudos: 396
Best Answers: 12

My signal was bad there but that was due to the Bestival crowds I think haha.
Click here to join giffgaff! - Free £5 to sign up!

Please mark the best answer to your question with the "Accept Solution" button.
contributor
craig101

newcomer
rattymon

Hey I lived on the Isle of Wight till fairly recently and I can say that coverage is rather patchy regardless of what coverage sites say! If you go to the south west coast you can sometimes find yourself 'roaming' on a french network :smileytongue:

But hey it's the Isle of Wight, behind the times and we like it that way!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
former giff-staffer
oh_kari

It wouldn't be the island if it weren't stuck in 1890!

There's been a lot of public opposition towards putting masts on the island and until recently there was a ban on having them on council-owned buildings. That's been overturned, but planning still takes a while- and I assume a lot of the members of the public are still fighting against it.

So I guess whilst you're down there you'll have to put up with being a little disconnected - although it's no hardship when you're in such a gorgeous place :smileyhappy:

Kari xxx